Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeymc96

Bathroom challenge

joeymc96
9 years ago

This bathroom could probably get me on one of those tv shows "worst baths in America." However, I don't hate the tile and I would like to try and work with it. The decorative tile is half way up the wall all around the bath. It is also on the counter.
We definitely need to replace the counter, as a tile comes loose or falls off every day. There is also carpet, which I have ruined with my self tanner (can't even blame it on the kids).
I am considering tiling the floor with a wood-look tile and putting in a solid surface counter top with updated fixtures. Any recommendations on color for counter? I would also consider staining or painting the vanity.
Am I nuts to try and salvage this interesting bath?

Comments (21)

• joeymc96
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another view.

• mom2samlibby
    9 years ago

I love the tile! I'd paint the wall a dark blue to match, use a light cream colored countertop, and cream colored tile on the floor.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I can't see the condition of the vanity, but if it's not in good condition then now's the time to replace it.

I would look into a solid surface countertop with an integrated sink so that you don't have a rim or edge and you maximize counterspace. We have corian in our mbath and we love it...softer and warmer than granite. I'd look at something grayish white or maybe the blue gray colors to blend with the tile...but not with a lot of graining or pattern...something more uniform.

Tiling the floor would be nice, esp if it coordinated with the counter top. Probably a larger scale tile as you already have the small tile so prominent in the room and you don't want to compete.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I love the tile! it is such a nice change from subway tile and gives your bathroom character.

I agree with Annie that if the vanity isn't in good shape now is the time to replace it. If it is good and solid then paint it if you want to go that route.

I definitely would avoid granite as you have enough pattern going on with your beautiful tile. I think Corian in a bathroom is a great choice. I hated it in my kitchen but part of that was the color was a pinkish taupe and looked horrendous with golden oak. I don't know what the previous owner was thinking. Again I agree with getting an integrated sink.

I really like the idea of using porcelain faux wood floors if you are going to paint the vanity.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Your tile immediately reminded me of oldbat2be's backsplash. Her kitchen reveal is in the link below. I like how she let it stand on it's own and the other materials were the supporting cast.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bold tile backsplash

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I love the tile on the walls too (but not with the matching countertop). Keep the tile and work around it!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I love that tile! I found the picture below of a contemporary bath with bold tile, mixing more current finishes. But since your tile is applied as a wainscoting, I think I would try to keep new finishes more with the vintage of the bath, but new and fresh. I would look at new ceramic tile for the counter, either in blue or white (or cream - whatever matches the color in the pattern tile).

{{!gwi}}

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I love the tile and picture it being the star in a room that is otherwise white, white and more white. Even if you did wood look tile, I'd do very light grey or white. And white countertops. And white fixtures. And white walls.

Since you use self tanner, I'd be tempted to go for a porcelain sink or something equally nonstaining. Something like the IKEA Hemnes (white, obvs) vanity with a 100% porcelain sink top might work well.

• DreamingoftheUP
    9 years ago

That tile and pendant light are great! My guess would be from the 70's.

If the vanity is in good shape, there's also the option of refacing. That's the path I took in redoing my 1950's bathroom. I also kept my ming green tile.

• joeymc96
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I love the modern kitchen and bath with similar tile.
    The tub and toilet are almond. I had considered reglazing them, but I think that the tiles are so cream/almond colored, they would not look good with a white tub and toilet.
    After seeing that kitchen, I am definitely going to consider painting the vanity. It is in really good condition.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

You could also go the other way and stain the wood black and put in a grey floor. I am still kicking myself for the white tile floor and vanity top in my last house. In a small heavily used room like a family bathroom its a nightmare to keep looking clean

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I just finished a bathroom that is close yours except I had a new white toilet but still had the old tub. We found a great deal while looking around the back isles of Lowes. Someone had returned an over $600 Kohler white tub and it had a $100 tag on it. Changing out the old tub has made an amazing difference. We did have to take several rows of tile with drywall out but managed to save most but not all of the tile. I then painted the cabinet Sherwin Wiiams navel or naval (a navy color). We already had an off white floor tile. This is the 2nd full bath and it came out very nice. In my case the vanity had a black granite top and white sink. I wouldn't have picked black but after a small indoor outdoor sisal was added along with art and a little multi blue and dark shade garden stool and bamboo shower curtain on an arched rod it's all very charming.

• joeymc96
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again for the suggestions. Jterrilynn, I'd love to see pictures of your bathroom. I am considering having my tub re-glazed an ivory color. I don't think we'll be replacing it. It is upstairs and there is a very weird corner that would have to be navigated.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Reglazing is a great idea. I had that done once and lived in the house for years and it looked like a brand new tub. This can and I do believe will be a bathroom fit for the magazines.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Hi JoeyM, you are starting out with much nicer things to work with so I have no doubt that your bath will look incredible when you are done. We had to do a quickie remodel on this bath as the master bath is gutted to the studs. As you can see from the pictures the 2nd full bath was beyond weird. We put the fence up you can see in the background, the neighbors house is right next to that fence. How anyone lived with that original bathroom setup for over thirty years is beyond me. The last owners put in the brown cabinet with black granite top, I painted the cabinet navy but it looks lighter in the pictures. For a budget remodel it came out cute, it doubles as a cabana bath to pool/guest bath and doggie door to outside (to make my life better). While I like the lighter floor in this room I do not like this particular tile so down the road that will be changed. I really love your tile! I live in Florida and decided to do a borderline tropical but you have a lot more options. If you decide to re-glaze your tub you might want to spend a lot of extra time checking references and such. Years ago I had a bad experience with a so called glazed tub that looked very nasty after a year and a half or so.

BEFORE

AFTER
    Love my deeper tub!

I had to get creative in changing out the tub as it required several rows of tile and drywall removal to make it fit. I used pool tile and salvaged tile from removal.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 12:35

• aiallega
    9 years ago

jterrilynn,
    What bath tub do you have? Everything looks great! Thanks

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Lovecritters, sorry I'm not sure of the model . It's a Kohler in white and retailed for six hundred something. We found it in the back row in Lowes as a returned special order. It was priced at $100 for an employee as they get first dibs on the deals. The employee told us it would not fit in his bath and to nab it before the price was changed to higher...we grabbed it!

• joeymc96
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks great. . . .Love your bathtub!! Now I've changed my mind. I want a new bathtub instead of the reglaze. Just need to convince the hubby. Haha

Does it fit into the same space as a conventional tub, just deeper, or is it bigger?

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

It's just deeper, all else is the same. However, it had to be angled in so those few inches make a differance on how much wall tile has to be removed. If you are lucky you could end up with just doing a white border around the new tub but you just never know how many old tiles you can salvage. We took the wall down to the studs on lower half to get it in. I'm glad we went through the effort as we had done bathrooms in the past and had not replaced the tub and regretted it.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Love your tile and glad you are working around it. I really like Robo's suggestions. For more drama, Neroselover's suggestion of a dark blue wall would also be awesome.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Love your tile and glad you are working around it. I really like Robo's suggestions. For more drama, Neroselover's suggestion of a dark blue wall would also be awesome.