Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting new exterior doors

Posted by cal_quail (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 0:46

We're getting a new front door and a new kitchen (side) door and patio (back) door. There's a link below to the front door and the other two doors are single light doors. (one big window being the majority of the door.)

We want the doors to be a pop of color. The current plan is turquoise MCM/Ranch style house, and to paint them all the same, turquoise color. This is the only place that that color will be.

I called to give the finisher the paint colors. I gave him one for interior and one for exterior. Currently, that's how the doors are painted. He said that the price he quoted was for one color only.

Question: Is it normal to have the interior be the color of the interior trim (as we have now) or the same as the exterior of the door (as he priced it) or is it equally normal either way?

Here is a link that might be useful: Simpson 49906

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting new exterior doors

Either way is fine and normal. All of my exterior doors have two colors, and some are different colors than the others.

There is another thread on this page that discusses exterior door colors.

I think it a little aggravating that your painter wants more money to do a second color, but not surprising. After all, he will have to clean brushes between colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: The other thread

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 9:57

o

Thanks. I read the other thread. I'm never sure of the protocol...start a new thread or potentially highjack someone else's.

We ordered the doors at the time we got new windows. So the window company has lined up the 'finish guy' for the doors. We were given the choice of having them installed unfinished or sending them out to be finished.

I've had houses and doors painted before. I thought that since we're going to be having the exterior and lots of the interior painted, it wouldn't be a big deal for them to be installed unfinished and done by the painter here. But I've been told several places that they'll be much nicer this way. So I feel quite a bit of pressure to make 'the right' choices on color since it's not just a matter of slapping a different color on if it's not just right.

I appreciate the input.

o

Oh, I see. The doors are going to be finished off site. That makes sense that the finish guy only quoted one color of paint. What does he want for a second color? I'd pay if it's not too terribly expensive and get what you want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here