Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sixkeys

Boxbeams (coffered ceiling) and painted wainscoting decisions

sixkeys
9 years ago

Here is the first floor of the house we are building. The plans can't be changed....so I am not looking for floorplan advise. Front door is to the left. At the top of the page from left to right there is the living room, dining room, and great room.

I would like to dress up some of the rooms. I was thinking of doing boxbeams/coffered ceiling in the living room and painted wood wainscoting in dining room.

I think it would look good in the individual rooms, but in doing the boxbeams in the living room, does it make the space seem not balanced? Would it make more sense to put them in the dining room (and then possibly skip the painted wainscoting) so that the fancy ceiling is centered?

One difference to note in the plan - we decided to add pocket doors on either side of the dining room and close the walls a little more.

Hopefully that makes sense! Thank you!

Comments (5)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

It depends on how closed off the rooms are...if they have actual doorways that would be lower than the coffering you can do it. Also depends on how high your ceilings are as it will bring the ceiling down.

Is that a built-in in the DR? If so, there's so little wall space...at least in the drawing... that wainscoting wouldn't hardly be worth it.

Also, it depends on the style you are going for...you have a very open plan which tends to lean more modern vs. the details you are talking about adding which are more traditional.

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Annie! We do have lowered doorways to allow for the coffered ceiling if we choose.

I decided to skip the built-ins in the dining room. Sorry, I forgot to mention that.

Definitely going for a transitional style with a strong traditional emphasis.

Ceilings are 8.5 feet on the 1st floor.

• User
    9 years ago

Repetition of details keeps a home cohesive in design. Doing details here and there is like just going through your jewelry box and picking out the shiniest thing possible whether or not it works with the dress you're wearing. I don't think this dress works with too much frou frou.

Skip the expensive coffered ceiling detail that most builders don't get right anyway. The wainscoting detail could add a nice touch to the home, if it's repeated in several locations to tie it together. And if it's done in a traditional manner, where it's not too tall (as is all too common), it can bring in some of the traditional detailing that you want to see in the home.

• done_again_2
    9 years ago

I really love box beam ceilings and think they can look great. However, if your ceilings are 8.5 ft. tall you may not have enough height to pull them off. If you're not already doing so, I'd put the money toward beefier base, trim, casings throughout along with nice fireplace mantels. Wainscoting in a DR looks nice to me. As mentioned already your limited wall space may prevent the desired effect though. With everything fairly open and flowing together keeping it cohesive is best.

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone, I truly appreciate the input. Although I had my heart set on box beams....I agree that I am trying to shove it into a design that might not fit. It would be the only room with that detail, and it isn't a big room.

The living room will still have beautiful details - original stained glass windows and a pretty fireplace. I just have to let this one go.