Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kswl2

Sconces are UP!

kswl2
9 years ago

The sconces are up In our basement, and I love them! Although they can take 60 watt chandelier base bulbs I put 40's in today and was very pleased with the amount of light they threw out because of the glass magnifier. These came from Visual Comfort, along with the antique brass swing arm lamps that will be installed over the built in end tables once the sofas are in and we can see where they need to be placed.

It's arranged with the Microseal company that they will come out early on Thursday and treat the rugs and carpet, and then treat the furniture as it is going into the room. I am even going to treat the surface of the pool table....I do not want,to have to worry about any of these furnishings when the our (ahem, messy!) young adults and their friends come to visit.

Thursday is the BIG Day! It is feeling like Christmas 60" TV screen between these two:

Rattan console, two paisley chairs on either side under the sconces, and a distressed aged gold/ green framed large mirror between these two:

Comments (29)

• yayagal
    9 years ago

It's all going to be wonderful, you made great choices.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, I cannot believe it has taken so long! I am so tired of having those people trample through the yard, leave the gate open, etc., They've made so many stupid mistakes I have very little goodwill left towards them, which is awkward. They are almost done....

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Those look great! What a fabulous game room you'll have!

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

They look really nice. Echoing everyone else: the room is wonderful. It doesn't have the dark basement feel at all!

• caminnc
    9 years ago

Love your new sconces and game room.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I like all your choices.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Coming along nicely!

• edeevee
    9 years ago

Excited to see this all come together.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

It's been so much fun watching your beautiful lower level come together. All the fun and none of the stress from this end. I love Visual Comfort and your sconces are amazing.

I know how frustrating it is to have people in and out and causing havoc. I feel as though we will never have our home free of the chaos as there is so much left to do. Honestly it would have been so much easier to just build a home though that has it's share of hair raising moments too. I swore I would never go through the building process again but it was easier than this seemingly never ending process.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Love those sconces and can't believe those are 40w bulbs.

I kwym about stupid mistakes the contractors make. Lived it with our master bath remodel last fall. I was so frustrated at least 3 out of 5 days a week. The guys were so nice, which made it hard to tell them they screwed up. I think it is harder in some ways if you're living in the house and have to live around the mess (trampling thru the yard and foundation beds, leaving gates and windows open, etc).

• ttodd
    9 years ago

Very nice! A friend of mine had sconces like those and I always thought that they were very cool!

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

I love them. Very cool looking and give a nice vibe to your room.

• chispa
    9 years ago

I'm glad you are happy with the results so far. Wish my sconces were up ... but that will be the last thing to happen in the master bath remodel that started 2 weeks ago. They seem to only be doing one thing per day! At this rate they will be here for months.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is exactly what happened here! They started out with a bang, but slowly petered out until one person was coming by every couple of days to do something. It's been six months since they started!

Thank you everyone for the positive comments. I never thought anything like putting up four measly lights would make me so happy. I'm actually looking forward to going shopping at Scott's antique market on Friday more than I thought I would because at this point, I just want it to be finished. I don't want to wait months or years for that perfect accessory or lamp. I'll be perfectly happy with placeholders until I find something fabulous ---- or possibly just keep the placeholders forever! It's looking like we have a summer full of guests. Also, DD's upcoming consulting gig is in Savannah, so we might see her a little bit more often over the next few months, and DS2 will be home from school in a few weeks. Happy dance, I think they are going to love the new basement!!

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Very true. As other jobs come in, they start those. Annoying but ,they have to take work when it comes.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

KSWL, A very wise woman once told me that there is nothing so permanent as a temporary placeholder! :)

• illinigirl
    9 years ago

what a great space!

• kellienoelle
    9 years ago

I just love everything I have seen so far. I will be anxiously awaiting the GRAND REVEAL! And I know that you are anxiously awaiting the room to be a place to enjoy and not one involving never ending choices and decisions!

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Holly Kay, LOL! And I may not be wise, but I was right, right ? :-)
    Ellendi, I do understand that's the way they work. But renovation of three rooms did not have to take 6 months. I will never hire them again.
    Kellie, no kidding, I am done with décor decisions for awhile. I don't know why mtnrdredux isn't in decision overload with an entire house to do, and flying solo on design.

I just got a pic from ID who flew in early to see another client in Atlanta and picked up all pillows from workroom today!

This is one of three pillows that will be on each sofa, this green flange pillow and two tartan box pillows (total of 3 pillows on each sofa). The details are really sweet!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Kswl, it truly has been fun following along with this renovation. I adore the sconces. It is going to be simply spectacular when all is said and done.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Kswl, YAY! I love that you've shared with us. Those sconces are super.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

they are very cool sconces; keep the pics coming!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

They sort of have a coachlight feeling to them. Very fitting! The pillows look great.

Sorry about the contractor. I hear you.

I have bought somewhat similar sconces by Circa for our "cap'n's house" and I worried they were a little bizarre, but now that I see them up i think they are really cool. Different without going whacky.

Sounds like you are all better if you are ready to shop?

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still can't lift anything or sleep in an actual bed, but it's coming along, and thank you for asking. We still don't have anything for the walls in the back room so I feel I have a responsibility to shop :-)

I'm thinking this area will look like a cool sort of carriage house, at least I'm hoping it will!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

aww, sorry to hear that. Feel better soon.

Be sure you bring a nice mule along for retail therapy!

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Even better.... Handy Guy is coming with his monster pickup truck!

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more photo before I pack it in for the evening.....I am taking my dogs to the kennel early tomorrow morning for a couple of days, no sense in having them upset by all the open doors and gates and strange people.

For some reason I really like this picture, it shows the fireplace wall to the right (before sconces) and the open door goes in my husband's study. The door at left opens to an under stair closet where the recessed shelves recess, with outlets and surge protector for gaming systems.

• loribee
    9 years ago

Wow! Great space, truly!

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Very nice! I love how they contrast against the soft colors of your walls and brick floor. I'd like to do something like this on both sides of a daybed in the office/guest room we're remodeling.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio