Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

All About Awnings...Pix of Good, Bad and What WERE They Thinking?

User
9 years ago

Masterclass blog does it again with an awesome post on awnings. More image info than even GWers knew about picking awning sizes, types, proportions, and colors. The photos are fabulous!

Here is a link that might be useful: Masterclass on Awnings

Comments (16)

• Jules
    9 years ago

Striped awnings make me so happy!

Pity I didn't plan any for my house.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

More than I ever even wanted to know about awnings...very informative.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know, Annie, right???

Jujubean, we have a round black awning over a side door and this wonderful retractable one over our MBR deck:

Our use of that deck increased by 1000 percent once the awning was up.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Wow, that was amazing. I've always had a thing for awnings, even the "1964 on line two, they want their aluminum awnings back...." ones.

Thank you so much for posting this. I the guidelines at the end are helpful. Who knew? I didn't.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree graywings, some of those aluminum awnings still look good! Most older ones look dented by hail, baseballs, etc., but the pristine ones are a nice bit of vernacular on older bungalows. I think Sears still sells them.

• awm03
    9 years ago

I love awnings too & have a large window on the side of our home that's a good candidate for an awning. Thanks for posting, kswl.

• MarinaGal
    9 years ago

I love awnings - thanks for posting this! They are so underutilized these days (at least in my area) that my 10yo just last month asked me what they were. I described them to her but we didn't drive by any examples for days. I am going to show this to her!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I would love a retractable awning for my back deck, but there are too many other repairs that need to happen first. Thanks for the link.

• teacats
    9 years ago

I adore awnings of all types! :) Thanks for the wonderful photos!

I remember my Dad carefully washing and hanging the cream-and-dark-brown striped awnings on our house every spring --- really helped with heat control in the summer! :)

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Thanks for this link. Yes, underutilized awnings. I went outside to see if and where I could place an awning. Alas, if I could only remove the pergola and make a retractable cantilevered ... oh, no. The roses, the roses, the roses. What to do, what to do, what to do. LOL.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

We have red and white striped metal awnings on the west side of the house. They really do keep the sun and heat out in the summer, plus they're cute!

I wonder why most people don't use awnings anymore?

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awnings were almost a must have in climates with strong sun or houses with a certain orientation to the sun, back before central AC was the norm. I believe more people would employ awnings and other conservation techniques and home improvements if they understood the energy savings that would result.

And I agree, Oak, it's not just about the bottom line, they do add style to a home's appearance! I like awnings so much I used them over the plantation shutters in the public rooms of our first Florida house. They were traditional green and white stripe canvas and were the driving design element of that house. The dining room had French doors that opened onto a walled courtyard with a tiled fountain, and the interior awning made the space look like a cafe... I still miss it.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

I am not an awning fan.....Over a patio/deck in back of your house, maybe but never over front windows....that is what heavy drapes are made for. Just my likes, or not likes, I guess.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Great post. Thanks for posting it.

• localeater
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing this I am contemplating a retractable awning or a shade sail for my deck and this is timely.