Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solar Lanterns for Summer?

Posted by judithn (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 23:56

Hi everyone, our winter clean up is done, the beds have been cleaned and mulched, and now I'm thinking about decorating outside. What do you do to make your backyard nicer for hanging out and/or entertaining? I am thinking of globe shaped solar lanterns or candle lanterns made of ball jars to hang from the trees. Has anyone used any solar lanterns and if so, any recommendations of good sources? I have so much to do, any tips are welcome! Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solar Lanterns for Summer?

I had a couple from Allsop. The pink one faded fast. The white one looked great for most of the summer, but then I started having problems with the solar panel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Allsop

o

I tried those last year - (and they were not a cheap version) but with mine, the LED bulbs were were very "blue" and had a cold/bad fluorescent lighting feel to them.

My neighbors have old school white Christmas lights in their trees, and the light is so warm and inviting. I am going that route this summer - for me, there is just no comparison in how the light feels. I know it is not green, and I am sorry for that! :)

o

Laura, the white lantern I had used an amber bulb which emitted a warm light. It was also available in LED, but I didn't want that for the same reason you mentioned.

o

Looks like I left out a couple words. Both bulbs were LED, but the yellow had a natural, warm light while the white LED did not.

o

That is genius to have an amber bulb! I will look for that -

o

We bought little solar lanterns from Target two years ago. They weren't cheap--I think they were something like 2 for $16.99. The first summer, all of them worked beautifully, putting out a warm, inviting light. The next summer, something like 3 out of 10 did not work.

We'll see what happens this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here