Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

Help me add some polish to my guest room - all ideas welcome

kellienoelle
10 years ago

So, here is the guest room in our new house we moved into a few weeks ago. What you see here is mostly existing stuff from our last house with a couple of things we have picked up. It doesn't look bad, just kind of ....not great.

So, I am looking for lots of advice

First up - wall paint color.My husband likes it as is, I had originally been thinking color in a pale green/blue, but think I could accept it as is with the right accessories.

Window treatments - maybe just plain panels so as not to compete with the different patterns of the rug and bedding?

Lamp - open for suggestions.

Things I like ....we just got the rug and like the brightness of it. The bedding just makes me smile so I would like to keep it if possible. The furniture- don't have the budget for all new furniture.

But any other ideas will be considered.Thoughts?

Comments (59)

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe something like this would work?

• annie1971
    10 years ago

I like many of the suggestions you've received. I would change the bedding -- it doesn't look right to me for the bed style. I would find bedding that can be tucked into the wood frame in a more tailored fashion.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unfortunately tailored won't work because the cats like to "fluff it up" to suit their needs. Anybody who has ever had a cat knows how that turns out! What I'll probably do is get a king duvet and cover so it covers a bit better.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Yes -- that bench would do very nicely! :)

The best possible way to check and see if the TV is visible from the bed it to literally lie down on the bed -- and check the "sightline" -- see if your eyeline is comfortably on the center (or so) of the TV screen -- and then go over the measure (and write down) from the floor up to the middle (or so) of the TV screen ... and then (of course) write down the actual height from the floor to the bottom of the TV itself .... those measurements will give you a good way to tell if a bench (or shelf or cabinet etc.) will work in the room ....

Also -- do the same thing to check for lamps -- lie on the bed -- and reach over to turn off the lamp -- and see what height (from the nightstand) works best ....

• erinsean
    10 years ago

I agree with most of the posters here but, since your TV is small, could you put it on the dresser (in the center with two lamps on either side) (should be tall enough to see from the bed) and in the corner (where the TV is now), an easy chair with small table and lamp or even a floor lamp?

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

I would put a medium-size round table in the corner, covered in fabric that goes with the bedding and new draperies (or find a nice finished wood piece). Put the TV on that. And then put a small, upholstered chair next to the table under the window. There should be a reading lamp or table lamp close to the chair. These might be very useful to guests. You can keep 1-2 luggage racks in the closet.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

"I don't know why, but I am troubled by the shelf with pics over the headboard....maybe a feng shui thing...but it gives me the sense...whether true or not...that I can hit my head when I sit up, or the shelf and pics can come crashing down on me. I think one larger piece of art would be better there." I agree with Annie. The shelf needs to be removed.

And, although, I really like the bedding at the link you posted, Kellie, it doesn't look cat friendly/proof to me.

The rug is just wonderful and if you make most of the changes recommended, I believe the room will look warm and inviting.

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

The pin-tuck bedding is beautiful, but I see it as a catch-all for cat hair in all the folds and nips and tucks.

• annie1971
    10 years ago

Sorry to be a rotten egg, but I think I would strive to keep the cats out of the guest room. Don't get me wrong, we sleep with a Labrador Retriever; but cat's in the guest room would send most of my family to a hotel! Way too allergic, as many are. I would decorate it people friendly; let the cats have fun elsewhere.

• rosie
    10 years ago

I like what you're starting with, Kellienoelle, especially the rug. You know, if you didn't notice the blues "don't match" when you were in the room, they probably look nice.

Speaking more in functional terms, lamps on both sides of bed for when both guests like to read themselves to sleep. As a reader, I promise people like me really appreciate it because so many rooms lack this important amenity. DH and I have actually argued about who gets the lamp side. :)

I was also thinking of Andee's idea for that corner--a charming table, maybe drop-leaf, with a pleasantly comfortable chair and hopefully a second one there or somewhere that could be pulled up, a lamp on the table, and the TV if you don't have another place for it. Leaving room for table functions, of course.

If not that, at least a really comfy club chair and ottoman or smaller footstool with a good table by the side. Another person could prop up on the bed to relax and chat. TV would be good on the dresser in that case.

I've noticed guest rooms that offer more living functions than just sleeping and dressing are much more hospitable and inviting. A chair to relax in, desk or table to check e-mail or check maps in private make them more like a little home away from home. Rooms that cover only sleeping and grooming functions sort of implicitly suggest guests're expected to leave when dressed and come back 15 hours later.

The long dresser looks like it could hold suitcases, and perhaps there's room in the closet for a metal rack to hold one?

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I've already given my suggestions, and you've received some great ones!

I'm highly allergic to cats, pollens, molds..sheesh! I even get allergy shots! So, I'd keep the door closed to the cats.

My husband and I purchased a home 2 hours from our current one. We are currently remodeling, and drove there today to take inventory of what faucets we need. He has tickets to a Ducks Hockey Finals game tonight, so I'm in a hotel room with a restaurant "to go" salad in the fridge for dinner and I'm drinking wine from a paper cup as I type.

This room is not high end, but not cheap either. What it has is a burgundy carpet with gold squiggles. The dust ruffle is a light gold silk with a dark print. The duvet's and shams are white, and look and feel absolutely wonderfully clean (and I can't wait to snuggle up and dream sweet dreams in them)!

I am sitting at a small desk with my computer typing to you, and it's nice to have this nice place to rest my computer and log on. The lamp shades are large, and there is an alarm clock next to them.

There is a framed mirror over this little desk, so if I need to touch something up prior to exiting, I can. there is one large piece of art work in a nice frame on a bare wall.

Also there are room darkening shades that I can pull if I wish to sleep in. There is a silk plant in a corner.

We have 2 guest rooms at our current home, and we rent the guest house out for events that come to town. In that room is a TV, computer desk, two chairs, a dresser with a large mirror over it, two end tables, a small refrigerator, a coffee maker, an alarm clock, and fresh fruit and flowers when there are guests. I bought one of those "bed's in a bag," which included shams, dust ruffle, and spread. It all co-ordinates and looks amazing. We get $200 per night for that guest house. it does have a bathroom with a double shower.

These are the things guests love. Put yourself in the shoes of your guest. You would love a place to sit and go online. I assume your guests are friends/family and welcome to your kitchen fridge, so I'm in no way suggesting you do anything that accommodating.

A framed mirror doesn't cost much, but ads a lot, as does a nice large silk plant.

• peegee
    10 years ago

I agree about keeping cats out of a guest room, but if that is not practical for you, perhaps you could buy whatever bedding goes best with the carpet, and keep the bed 'slipcovered' with a plain king sized sheet - that way you are not limiting your decorating to cater to the cats, and can keep the bedding fresher for guests, esp. those with allergies.....

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I think a green or blue/green would be lovely. Of course, I am a lover of green rooms. I am about to paint one of our bedrooms Saybrook Sage.

Also agree on removing the shelves above the bed. They would just make me nervous if I were sleeping under them.

Love the rug and the bedding is fine, too-at least until you paint and then see if you still like it there. It looks soft and comfy to me! I would get soft cream panels to go with the green paint. ;)

If you move the tv to one end of the bureau, you could have a chair in that corner. Do you have one you could move in there? That would look cozy and welcoming, I think.

Love all the windows and you are off to a good start. Your guests will like the room. Keep posting updates! Oh and keep the cats out, too!

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha, OK, perhaps I misrepresented the "guest room" a bit as we don't get that many guests. It is mostly used as an additional room by my husband when he wants to watch TV and nap without me buzzing about him like i would be doing in the family room and master. Some people would call it a "man cave" and I would too if I didn't hate that term and didn't feel like you can call any room with dragonfly bedding and a 16 inch TV a "man cave". But yes, it doubles as the guest room when we do have overnight company which occurs no more than a couple of times per year. I want it to be comfortable for them during those times, but be used the rest of the time in other ways. My husband also uses that closet since 1920s houses don't have closets big enough for two!

So I understand the comments about the cats, but am not quite as worried about keeping them out. Plus it is a relatively tucked away place to contain them and their hair!

With that being said, in response to a couple of ideas, the cable hookup is in that corner so I think we could have the TV on a bench or perhaps hung, but not on the dresser across the room. So, since it is easiest to have the TV stay in that side of the room, while I love the idea of a chair and table, I don't think there is also enough room for one since it is a pretty small room. I don't know if you could fit around the far side of the bed if there is a chair there. But I think the bench could work, and also provide storage and a place to sit to put on shoes.

Sadly, I think you all may be right about the pintuck fabric with the cats, which is a shame because I love the texture and worry that I will have to have similar concerns about any fabric I like. Oddly enough, the white fabric holds up very well to them since it washes up so nice and is a very nice soft cotton that doesn't catch their nails. Here is a new pic w/o the bright blue. Picture this with a green throw at the end of the bed that is similar in color to that in the rug with coordinating shams. Would the bedding work if I got matching white panels for the window, or should I just look instead for something that matches better? I can't decide if I hate the white against the beige of the rug.

With this angle, I think you can also appreciate the room size a bit more so can see the limitations.We love our new little older house, but the room sizes are a bit....cozy.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And since I can't attach more than one pic, here is the look across the room at the dresser. That door is to the closet.

The hamper on the far side has to stay at husband's request unless we relocate it to the laundry room

• amykath
    10 years ago

I think the curtains will make it far more cozy. As far as bedding, I always check out Ross for great quilts at great prices. Solid colors for the main bedding and maybe something like a throw for the end of the bed that has some color and texture.

Above the bed, I would hang the art and maybe try and place a few small things on the shelf if you must keep it. Otherwise, I would loose the shelf.

Here are some pics of some bedrooms I have had in previous homes. I too, do not know how to attach more than one at a time. Hope this might help.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Another bedroom.....

• amykath
    10 years ago

And one more! Sorry for all of the posts!

• annie1971
    10 years ago

OK. So this is a room that your husband uses to get away. Make it a place he/you can enjoy and treat the guest issue as a secondary need. I would still tailor the bed more in a hotel manner. Or get rid of the bed and put in a sofa bed for the occasional overnight guest. Get a nice flat screen TV (it doesn't have to be a big one). Do the draperies/panels maybe with black out shades if he naps during the day. If he doesn't need dresser space take the furniture out and add a small desk for computer use, etc. As far as guests go, my guests tend to live out of their suit cases so suitcase racks suffice.
    I would decorate the room for its primary use, but one which will accommodate your occasional guest.

• daisyinga
    10 years ago

I wouldn't worry about the cats being in the bedroom if I were you. I'm allergic to cats, so I rarely stay in cat owners' homes more than a couple of hours.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Same for my son, Daisy. We're waiting to be petless some day so that coming to dinner won't be an act of touching generosity.

Annie makes sense, Kellienoelle. I share your desire to have a pretty guest room ready at all times, but when need is right there... I hate the term man cave also. Yuck--for that and its supposed decor. Would it work to make it a sitting room/cum guest room that you could enjoy as an "away space" yourself and have fun decorating that?

All of us sometimes just need a little time alone, and some more than others. When our children were tiny and I was the center their little world revolved around, I literally went to bed with DH around 10-11 and then got up for another couple hours--just to be alone. I needed that recharging of whatever it is more than my body needed sleep. DH's extremely sociable and still underfoot long after the kids are gone, but when we made him a household finance office in our walkout basement it was very interesting to find that he quickly started heading downstairs to enjoy his own little alone time, change of scene, to chat and laugh with fishing buddies.

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

Wow Kellie! I like your bedding MUCH better without the blue! It ws coming across as a light denim blue and just not suiting the vibe of the room. I love the look of a throw across the end of a bed, but the way the dragonfly print floats at an angle, you really don't need anything else.

After seeing that look, I would be tempted to go with white drapery panels - perhaps in a gauzy cotton or even a sheer look. I love Loribee's smocked sheer drapes from Country Curtains - I can see that with the white spread and dragonflys.

Here is a link that might be useful: Loribee's smocked sheers

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

atkillery - your rooms are lovely, warm and inviting. Thanks for sharing. I even see that the last one may share some of the coziness that my current one does. I notice that the base of your bedding is white, so I may be able to keep my existing if I find the right shams and pillows.

annie - I agree, I would like to accomodate for both needs. We just moved into this house so he lost his basement and am shocked that he hasn't yet requested to swap for a larger TV in there. I guess I will just have to anticipate that it is coming and plan accordingly. The dresser is being used, and we do have an office so I think just the TV situation may be the biggest part to address! The more I think, the more I like the bench idea so long as there are no objections to the TV blocking the view out the windows. The windows do have blinds and my husband can fall asleep at at the drop of a hat, so hopefully just panels will suffice. I think I may order the bench I linked earlier, it is quite inexpensive from overstock

daisy - I feel for those allergic to cats, when we have had some over I can just see their eyes start watering and the sniffling begin. Our cats roam the house, so expect that you are right about not staying long.

rosie- I think my husband needs the away space more than i do as I am not a napper and tend to be "fiddler" rather than stay in a stationary place. Since that room is where all his clothes are, it has been the natural place that he gravitates to. We are just figuring out where our day to day life settles into the new house, so I really do need to keep that in mind with decorating. It doesn't need to be a masculine space, and he isn't super picky, but I need to think twice before I paint the room pink or decorate with lace. He actually likes the rug surprisingly, and is generally OK with the bright colors I tend to favor.

Tuesday - thanks! I have always been fond of the bedding with the embroidered flowers and dragonflies. I feel like it is basically pretty neutral and I may be able to make it work.I may just see if I can find shams and pillows that coordinate with the rug, and look at replacing the duvet in the future. And I know this goes against everything that I just said, but I love those drapes too! I may have to get input on that from the husband. Personally, I like the look of the sunlight through the sheers, but he may have disagree! I have a feeling this may be more his speed.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I would have a problem with white drapes. The rug is warm and the paint color is warm so off white/ivory would go better than white. White with the warm tones can work, but it has to be deliberate and done carefully. I'm not sure it will work as well in this room....

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I see your point and was wondering that myself, I mentioned above that I didnt know how I liked the white of the bedding with the off white of the rug. But I feel like if I did keep the bedding, and did off white or ivory drapes, it would make the bedding look like the odd man out. So maybe I am back to finding new bedding?

Just to toss something else out there....the trim is white, I haven't bought a bench, but could get one in white. I wish the sun would shine one of these days so I could get a photo that didn't look so dreary. I do have some white panels from my last house that are too short, but I'll try to hold them up and see how they look.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How does it look with these bedding changes? After going to what felt like 100 stores, I swear the colors in that rug are pretty much impossible to match. So, if I am going with white anyway, much cheaper to just work around what I have. Once I get that squared away I'll move on to more details....

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

You know, IKEA has velvet drapes in that aqua color of the rug --- also pillow covers. I wonder if that would work.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA curtains

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, that really LOOKS like it would match onscreen. And they are machine washable which is nice. Everything I saw in person was just a little bit off (of course I was matching via a picture I had on my phone so it is hard to say if it was indeed off).

I dont know should I risk it not matching or just do boring white.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I have the pillows, and they really look the same IRL as on my monitor, but, of course, that still doesn't answer to what extent they match your rug. How far are you to the nearest IKEA? Looks like they charge about 20.00 for shipping, but they're relatively light, so it may be less if you have to return them if worst comes to worst.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How close to Ikea - many many miles. So not worth a drive to look at drapes. I chickened out and ordered plain white to match the bedding. So if they don't work, I am not out much anyway.

• sukiii
    10 years ago

Hi, I think the pale green wall will be great, then you may try some Tiffany Table Lamp in the pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: lights.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I always end up with off-white curtains :)
    Another idea: I ironed on a contrasting ribbon on off-white linen drapes because they were too short, but you could also do something like this:

• amykath
    10 years ago

I like the green throw at the end of your bed. The green really goes well with the rug.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh I love the idea of the contrasting trim on the curtains. And iron on, you say? That even sounds like I may be capable of doing that myself. I love more the criss cross pattern and think that would look good with the pattern in the rug. Or maybe it will be too literal? Plus a smaller area of color wouldn't be so obvious if it wasn't an exact perfect match, I actually think I would like to pull out the blue.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Yes, iron on hemming or mending tape. Even I was able to do it. Now, I don't know how big a deal it is if you want to ever remove it. Just googled it, and there are some suggestions on how to remove the goo.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, so got the curtains and think they could definitely benefit from that iron on tape. Now just need to decide how to use it. First thought is strips on the bottom

I also think I will take the earlier advice and try to make a little siting area too, although it will be a bit "cozy". I moved a table that we to keep (an antique from my in-laws) but have nowhere in the house to put so am trying to make it work even though the size and style are all wrong. I am thinking a smaller chair, although I am not sure on color. I'd likely put the chair in the corner and move the table out. Any thoughts?

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

Actually I love those curtains in your room just as is! I would not alter them, they look great, what a difference to soften those walls.

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

I really like the curtains, too, and wouldn't embellish them.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Ooh it looks so nice and cozy, crisp and bright. Very nicely done!

Thanks for sharing with us!!

I agree I love the curtains as they are. Perfect!

• geokid
    10 years ago

Love the curtains.

I would consider rotating the bed so that it's in front of the single window. Put the dresser on the wall where the headboard was. And maybe a small chair can go on the wall where the dresser was. This way you can have two nightstands and the bed will be the focal point of the room.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Agree with the curtains. They look great as they are. You can always iron on ribbon once you get really bored with them.
    But now that we see the ceiling, how about replacing the light fixture?

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback on the curtains. It sure is easier for me to do....nothing! Of course my dog has already managed to get tangled up in one and pull the entire thing (including rod) off the wall. And in less than 48 hours since hanging too! Thats gotta be some sort of record. Hopefully that doesn't happen again.

Geokid, I wanted it your way too, and when we moved in tried to get it set up this way. I was vetoed and since I got to pick placement of every other room, I didn't argue too much. I can't recall the problem....maybe the dresser didn't fit on that wall? Some weird feng shui thing?

nosoccormom - that light will likely be replaced with the oh so functional but not always attractive ceiling fan when we get around to it. It's close to a 100 year old house. It's been remodeled/rehabbed but not quite sure of how well it was insulated and how HOT it will get up there. We have lots of pretty windows, but they probably won't help much.

Thoughts on a chair? It will obviously have to be small. I would love a pop of color over in that corner (I like color) but am not confident that I will find one that matches the rug. So how would another color like coral look? Too much?

• amykath
    10 years ago

This one is super cute from overstock.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to chair

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks atkillery! I am hoping to find something with arms just to cozy up in. Of course, this may also make it a bit larger profile in the smallish corner. small and comfy exist together? But that color is right on. The embroidery in the bedding does have a similar color, so it isnt completely out of left field.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

How about this one? It also comes in orange. There are other very neat looking chairs, too, and I found them very comfortable.

Here is a link that might be useful: chair

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nosoccormom - I had actually looked at that chair and was intrigued by several of the colors (green, tourquoise, and coral) but didn't know about how it would do with the long hair of my cat since it looks similar to velvet in the images.

But, sad news, came home and that long haired cat had unexpectedly passed away. I am grateful that she hadn't appeared ill and didn't seem to suffer, which is reassuring in a 17 year old cat. I work in heath care so understand the circle of life as well as anybody, but still a bit of a shock to arrive home to.

So, when I get my head back into the redecorating, I can take a trip down to World Market and check it out. Save myself the shipping fee and not worry about buying it sight unseen.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Oh Kellie... I am so sorry! I recently lost my Beagle of 15 years. It was so crushing.

I am thinking of you.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your cat.

• CLBlakey
    10 years ago

Sorry to read about loosing your cat. I like the changes you have made to the room the green is so calming.

• Timkitchen
    10 years ago

Have a good guest room. As you think to use greed/blue color, I think it is right choice. Do not worry about accessories it is easily available in market. If you want some different, you may prefer valvet to decorate better your room walls. It doesn't more costly.