Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Help with "barn door" color, type for mcm home

rockybird
9 years ago

I have a midcentury modern home. I have been living without a bedroom door now for a couple years. There is a 4 ft. opening that opens into the living room. I actually like it a lot, but I would like a sliding barn door to help block the light out, and give some privacy, as much of the house is all glass and you can see into the bedroom from other areas of the yard.

I would like to cut the soffit at the edge of the vent and have the barn door slide up against the red rock. This will expose the red rock wall. The hardware will be recessed into the ceiling. I did have an architect and contractor look at this and they say it will work. I realize it will not be sealed against the wall.

The question is, what should I make the barn door out of? Should it just be the same color/ texture as the walls? Or should I do walnut? There is lots of walnut in the house (see pic of kitchen below), but will walnut look good against the red rock? Will it be too much walnut, or will it flow nicely?

I can only add the door now, if the contractors can accomodate the height for a future tile floor. I currently have concrete overlay, but will be tiling the entire house within 2 yrs.

Here's some pics of the living room and rock wall. Thanks for any suggestions!

View of opening from living room:

View from bedroom:

Closeup of rock wall:

walnut in kitchen:

walnut near a rock wall in kitchen:

view from bedroom into living room through opening:

Length of wall with opening along living room:

Comments (15)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Thats such unusual stone, what is it?

I can't believe someone would create a house without a door on the MBR. Is it a one BR home?

Anyway, my first inclination was to repeat materials, and use walnut. But I fear it will make that corner so dark vs the rest of the room. What about frosted glass?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Love that rock wall...the texture is so interesting.
    I think the walnut would be lovely. Love mtnrd's idea of frosted glass. Or you can have a custom door designed that combines both the wood and the frosted glass in an MCM design.

Or even round insets to offset the squareness of the rock.

• emilymch
    9 years ago

Rockybird, are there other interior doors in the house that help give direction? I'm curious what they look like - are they painted? Wood?

I wouldn't go with frosted glass unless you have frosted glass elsewhere in the home. As a new element, it would look out of place.

• User
    9 years ago

My first thought was a translucent shoji screen, then etched glass. I would not use walnut or any other door that is mostly wood because it would create a cave like mass in that corner of both rooms. Beautiful home with unusual materials, I love it! Needless to say, regardless of what you do, nothing that even hints of rusticity.

Would love to see more photos of your home.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I'd probably make it look like the wall so it blended in.

• Sms
    9 years ago

Check out 3Form sliding doors

• lolauren
    9 years ago

I would make it look like the wall. I think that would be fitting for the style. You could possibly mount a large piece of modern art on the new door to heighten the overall design?

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

White lacquer? Or walnut veneer.

You have a great eye and it is going to look awesome. Personal preference: I'd love to see a (nearly) floor to (nearly) ceiling slab walnut veneer swinging door as opposed to barn door - for a few reasons

1. Easier to lock and be private, not a concern for you I know!
    2. Better light and sound blocking
    3. Easier to use, less likely to go off track and rub up against the walls.
    4. IMO more in tune with style of home than barn (although I did just find this picture from a time capsule home!)

Also, love:

[Midcentury Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/midcentury-modern-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2115) by Atlanta Interior Designers & Decorators Burns Century Interior Design

A pocket door might also be a nice feature, but probably more complicated to work around with the tiling? We had pockets in a false wall.

[Midcentury Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/midcentury-modern-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2115) by Seattle Architects & Designers SHED Architecture & Design

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I was thinking pocket door because I do know a couple mid century modern homes with pocket doors dividing the public areas of cooking/entertaining formally. How difficult is it to install a pocket door into the side opposite the rock wall? I certainly would not want to disturb the wall which is such a great design point.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I don't think I'd remove the soffit and the vertical strip....you might ruin the stone if a door is constantly shoved against it. I think a light walnut barn door would be beautiful. Your house is amazing!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

If you remove the vertical drywall "jamb" that is there, you could replace it with a much smaller walnut jamb that was just thick enough to scribe to fit and have the door rest against it.

Or if you decided to go with a walnut barn door instead of white, you could scribe the edge of the door to fit to the contour of the stone, almost like a "live edge".

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much! These are such great ideas! I think I am down to white to match the wall or walnut, but keep the wall piece against the rock.

I would like to do a pocket door, but there is electric in the wall, so it could get pricey...although moving the electric might overall be cheaper with a pocket door than installing a barn door with the expensive hardware.

The door was actually moved before I bought the house. In the pics above, it was where the clocks and chairs are. I do like it where it is now. There are two living rooms, so it makes it seem like the living room is an extension of the master, almost loft like, except with 8 ft. ceilings. :(

robotropolis, I love those pics! Beatuiful homes! I guess I will need to see about a pocket door and how expensive it might be to move the electrical. Is that your bathroom? I love it!

yillimuh, the interior doors are all birch, but stained to match the kitchen cabs., so they look walnut. They look nice against the wall paint colors.

Pamplisest, I really like your ideas for the door jamb, if I remove the vertical drywall.

kswl, thanks for the compliments! I will post more pics of the home...maybe you all can give me some design ideas!

I think this is more complicated than I thought. Perhaps I should wait until I finish the house to install the door. I was thinking this is one thing I can do now. But the house still needs a lot of work, plus tile (almost 4000 sq. ft. of it) plus a possible master addition (since there's not enough room to do what I want). Because of this, I was thinking to wait and do everything at once in 1-2 yrs., but go ahead and do the door and window coverings now.

• jenna1
    9 years ago

When we were house hunting about three plus years ago in the Palm Springs and surrounding areas (CA) we looked at nothing but MCM's as that is where my heart is.

I know this isn't what you were asking but several of the homes didn't have doors on some bedrooms, which surprised us. One in particular caught our eye and on the second visit/viewing the homeowner was there. She had hung what I called a curtain at the doorway, on the bedroom side. I don't remember what type of fabric it was but it was heavy and stiff, sailcloth/canvas I believe? The rod was long on one side and she had it pushed to that side and you couldn't see the rod or the curtains from the living area. You didn't know it was there until you walked into the master bedroom. When I think back on it it didn't look odd or out of place either. She told us that it had been a temporary solution until they could have a door installed. They never had the door put in because they liked the look of the sailcloth, which was a dark brown and matched the furniture and bedding in that room. She also said that they rarely even closed it in the years they lived there because they had always liked the open feel between the living area and the bedroom and privacy had never really been an issue.

Ironically, we vacationed in a resort town in Arizona and ended up buying and moving here instead.

I saw the other pictures of your home and I have to join the others and say that it's absolutely lovely. Love it!

Jenna

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

rockybird -- not my bathroom -- I WISH! Here's the before of my powder room - it is almost an after except I need a new paint color as the previous laduree green I found now isn't right. So, needless to say, I live my MCM dreams vicariously through others.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Thu, May 29, 14 at 10:17

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the idea Jenna! I also live in AZ (Phoenix). I did consider the curtains, but I dont think it will look right. I also need a door for noise protection...I have two small but VERY loud and demanding parrots. I never thought something so tiny could be so loud! I spent the last few years looking at mcm homes in Palm Springs with my parents, who have considered buying there. The homes are AMAZING.

Thank you all for the compliments on the house! :)

Robotropolis, that is a great looking bathroom. Please post pics when you get your paint color! I actually kind of like the green, but I am color challenged!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!