Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

MCM remodel eye candy

Pipdog
9 years ago

Stumbled across this listing in LA and thought I'd share. The kitchen isn't really my cup of tea, but it's pretty awesome overall.

Here is a link that might be useful: MCM remodel

Comments (22)

• lee676
    9 years ago

A triumph of form over function; there isn't a comfortable seat in the house. Except maybe the living room sofa and even that's paired with a coffee table whose shape assures it will be mostly out of reach.

I do have to tip my hat to the photographer who took that "magic hour" dusk shot of the pool though. I've done some professional photography and can tell how long a time that must have taken to set up, with hidden floodlamps lighting the trees and chaises, the careful mix of lit and unlit indoor rooms (with those neat sconces in the otherwise unlit rooms), and waiting until just the right moment when the evening sky and the water are almost the same color.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Lee, without reading your comment first, I thought the same thing. But maybe those who have sat in chairs like these will weigh in.

I liked the house in general. I do hate clutter and this house would be a perfect excuse to banish it,

Pip, how is your kitchen coming along?

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Interesting. Well appointed for MCM. Great photography.

• User
    9 years ago

I think it is lovely! Some of the seating may look uncomfortable but in my experience, modern furniture is often more comfortable than overstuffed, over styled traditional seating. I'd never make that call without trying the chairs and sofas. After all, who would think a Windsor chair could be so comfortable just looking at one?

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Oh yes, that night-time pool photo is gorgeous! It seems to me there are enough "soft" surfaces to enjoy.

• bpath
    9 years ago

I'm in love. Well, might change a bit of furniture, and I don't like the fridge looming in the corner of the kitchen, and I'd have to change my lifestyle...in a good way, less "stuff". But the windows! Wonderful!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

If I had to analyze it, I would say the building itself is probably better than it was originally. The windows and the sliding glass walls available now are much better than 58 years ago, just as one example.

I think the house was staged in the way it was so that the rustic and organic would counteract the modernism, which a lot of people would call "cold". But, it may have backfired if people concentrate on the furniture and not the house.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The house is owned by Alexandra Hedison, who is a photographer and designer and also the wife of Jodie Foster. I'd venture to guess she designed and shot the house and did a fabulous job. I agree with lee and gsciencechick, that night pool photo is amazing.

I love the boomerang shape of the house, the warm modern organic design and all the sliders and glass, but the kitchen is a let down for me.

ellendi, we're still in the planning phase of our kitchen. Hoping to start in the next month or so.

• beekeeperswife
    9 years ago

and again I ask...

Why do I not live in CA?

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Hmm. . . The site is beautiful, the house itself is ok . . . But I think the staging is fantastic. Don't know anything about decor, but I like it! Thanks for sharing pipdog.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I'm just not a no frills kind of girl. I know it may be the 'right' house for those who have an appreciation for MCM, but you do need the appreciation. I can't settle for a piece of toast when I'm craving a chocolate chip cookie.

• wantoretire_did
    9 years ago

"and again I ask...
    Why do I not live in CA?"

Could it be the 24/7 choking traffic, shortage of water, cost of housing/living, and so on???

Finally left CA in 2003 for the northeast :-)

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

With the help of this forum, I've come a long way towards learning to love some of the MCM leanings of our own wierdo house. I do like this one, especially the refreshing light in every room.

Interesting that some folks are cool to the kitchen. I like it because it's visually understated, warm, and blends well with the rest of the house. (But since I'm no cook, my instincts about kitchen design are always suspect.)

Thanks for posting this, it was fun to look.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

eye candy indeed, thanks for posting this, I love everything about it.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Wanttoretire, myself also! After 27 years of craziness in San Diego, when DD/DH took a transfer to Austin, I joined them! What an awesome place it is. Ca is so over-rated, and I speak from all those years of experience. Besides, you shouldn't have to pay for the 300+ days of sunshine thru over inflated home prices, high insurance rates, and higher-than-average state taxes~no state taxes in Tx.

Beekeeperswife, please don't cry! ;)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Oh my, I am such a traditionalist so I expected to not care for this home but I LOVED it! I think that it is timeless and will look as fabulous in 50 years as it does today. I adored that kitchen and did spy some traditional pieces. Pip, thank you for sharing!

• LittleChic
    9 years ago

Oh she would be a pretty place to vacay/visit but I don't think this farm gal could last long. The environment for me feels sterile. But I do appreciate the design.

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

Another ex-CA person. Moved to Colorado and every time I visit my beautiful sister in So. CA, I remember why I left.

The house, however, it fabulous! Too hard and sterile for me, but still beautiful.
    Diane

• chispa
    9 years ago

We relocated to CA a few years ago and don't see the negatives listed above. The traffic is no worse than when I lived in the NJ/NY/CT area and then in Boston. In all those areas you have to pay more to live in towns with the better schools and commute. Try commuting into Manhattan and LA starts to look pretty good ... you have to make sure you are comparing comparable cities/towns.

It has been great not to deal with snow and I think the coldest overnight low this winter was around 45F. Summers without humidity and bugs are truly amazing!

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was never a believer of LA until I moved here (reluctantly, for a job change). And now, four years later, I'm singing a certain Randy Newman song. It takes a while to understand and appreciate this complicated, vast and greatly misunderstood city.

Here is a link that might be useful: You can have your snow

This post was edited by pipdog on Tue, May 13, 14 at 22:12

• sochi
    9 years ago

Wow, that is stunning. Thank you for sharing. Other than the DR benches all the seating looks comfy to me. If I had to find a fault, it might be the kitchen. Not sure why, but I don't love it. I think it is well staged/designed, great textures and warmth.

• sprout26
    9 years ago

Really lovely but it better be on a very private estate...so many windows and no coverings, like living in a fishbowl. But if someone offered it to me for free, yeah, I'd take it.