Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolyn53562

Custom area rug help needed

carolyn53562
9 years ago

I'm going to get a custom made area rug for my dining area and I need some help. Which is better, a serged edge or a bound edge? Should I add fringe? I have an open floor plan with a hardwood floor. The eating area can be seen from the living room and the kitchen. The living room has an oriental stye rug with fringe (in a pattern suggested by someone on this forum) and a serged edge. The rug will be made from solid color looped carpeting or else carpeting that is a combination of looped and cut pile--I'm leaning toward the looped for durability. The carpeting will have a woven pattern. Thank you for your help!

Comments (7)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I wouldn't want fringe on a dr carpet...I think a serged edge looks better, esp if they can't get a good color binding to match.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I agree with Annie and also, if you are trying to match by adding fringe -- don't. If you can't be exact in every detail, go completely opposite. It's art.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Skip the fringe. dust collector, and it makes vacuuming a pain.

• theclose
    9 years ago

No fringe. Serged or bound. Depends if you want a thick binding or if a wool serge thread works for you.

I love the look of fabric binding, if you know what you have in mind and don't mind the cost. Serging will be less expensive.

• carolyn53562
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your help everyone! A serged edge is actually more expensive--a serged edge is $4/lineal foot and a bound edge is $2/lineal foot. I think fringe is $4/lineal foot too--if I had gone with the fringe I was going to get a contrasting color. I have another question. We currently have a jute rug there which is falling apart. My husband wants a brown rug that is the close in color to the cushions on the chairs and I was thinking of something more jute colored. What do you ladies think? If you go to the link you will see a picture of table area plus a picture of the carpet sample that my husband likes-but the color in the picture is way off. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of the table and carpet sample

• blfenton
    9 years ago

If you put a brown rug in there that matches the colour of your cushions you will wind up with a very brown room. This will sound silly but it will be a very unappetizing room in which to eat.

I don't know the difference between a serged edge and a bound edge but I would get which ever one is stronger and flatter. Flatter will prevent a tripping hazard and from catching chairs on it as they are sat on.

• sas95
    9 years ago

I like the thick bound edges. They usually cost more than serged-- it's the thinner bound edges that are cheaper. But it really is a matter of personal taste. And whether you can find a fabric that works with the carpet color. But I do agree with the others about not getting the fringe.