Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help choosing exterior color scheme

Posted by bmxmom (My Page) on
Fri, May 14, 10 at 23:13

We are in the planning stage for building our new home and need help!! We will be building on a heavily wooded lot and have no neighbors or color restrictions. We have driven past tons of homes and searched the web for color schemes and find that we are always drawn towards green. When doing some reading on exterior colors today, I came across a few articles that mention that green is a bad choice for wooded lots. I would love to hear your opinion on this and if you have any pictures, that would be great.
Also, if you have any ideas for other color schemes, we are open to any ideas.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help choosing exterior color scheme

bmxmom-

Here's a pic of our house, we built it and moved in almost 3 years ago, but it's a mostly DIY, so the final touches are slow going. Anyway, the color is Hardi board pre painted, but BM Tate Olive is the equivalent. Windows are Eagle brand in Cinnamon Toast, trim is Hardi Sailcloth. Our lot is heavily wooded and we like the green, we're in NNY and the pics were taken on the east side of the house, in strong morning sun.

Good luck-

sandyponder

Photobucket

o

Sandyponder- Thanks for posting a picture of your home- it is just lovely! Glad to hear that green is working out for you. The complaint I have read about is that the house blends in too much or clashes with the trees. Another person mentioned that they didn't like the way it look with the grass. All of the homes that we have driven past have been in new developments and are on lots with very minimal trees, so I haven't been able to see this first hand. We are in MN and there are no leaves for 5-6 months out of the year! I am currently in a development where every house is a variation of cream...I am so ready for color!

o

I don't have a photo but painted my home a color called streambed which is a gray green when I lived in the Sierra Nevada mountains and charcoal trim and everyone loved, loved it. I think if the green choice clashes with the trees color may be why folks think green shouldn't be used in heavily wooded areas.

o

I'm hesitant to comment since I usually only come to this forum for advice. I don't have decorating talent but I do have an older lake cottage in MN and it is painted green. We used BM Saybrook Sage with Louisburg green trim and black forest green and a rust/red color as accents.

The green DOES blend in with the trees and grass. We don't mind and we did have a builder stop and ask what colors we used but it is a mellow effect and it won't necessarily show off your property.

You don't mention what color your stonework will be on the house. I don't know if green is going to go with a lot of natural stone colors. You might want to try to work with a body color that complements the mortar and stone and save the high impact color for your trim and accents.

I have a stucco house and wanted more of a "stoneish" color and went with BM Saint Martin Sand wiht Driftscape tan and pueblo Brown trim and accent. The colors are reflective of colors and tones found in our brick and mortar so it works well. Definately not for everyone but I offer it up as a different direction to think about that is not cream.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here