Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robnj_2006

Picking wallpaper for dining room accent wall

robnj_2006
9 years ago

Hi,

We just decided to go with a hand painted silk wallpaper for an accent wall in our new dining room. The only question is what base color to use for the wallpaper. Our walls are BM Nimbus and we are planning on going with this design for the wallpaper. The color in the picture is shiny silver. Do you think that works? We also have a brown Moroccan rug and honey oak floors.

Appreciate your opinion!

Wallpaper link

https://www.houzz.com/products/japaneseandkorean-style-hand-painted-silk-wallpaper-prvw-vr~3345725-Korean-Style-Hand-Painted-Silk-Wallpaper-asian-wallpaper-other-metro

The table is a Bernhardt Henley with cognac leather chairs and the light is a large rectangular linen fixture. Finally the sideboard is an antiqued mirrored sideboard.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Wallpaper[(https://www.houzz.com/products/japaneseandkorean-style-hand-painted-silk-wallpaper-prvw-vr~3345725)

Comments (5)

• stevejones99
    9 years ago

nice decorating idea! if you do that what you said that will be great... the webpage mention you in your that is amazing..

Thanks

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Since this is a custom paper, I would consider matching the ground color of the paper to the wall color.

• robnj_2006
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Someone just pointed us in the direction of a chinoiserie digital reproduction - the print looks very nice but we're waiting for the sample to compare. It's about half the price and may wear better with 3 kids and a large dog in the house. Any thoughts? Part of me wants to just do the hand painted silk but the concern is how well it holds up to wear in a busy house. I know I'll be annoyed if the kids smudge it, or if the dog rubs his snotty nose on it....you shoukd see the wall where his food bowl is! There's also the thought that if we move we would be leaving behind a very expensive wall covering vs. a less expensive one.

Regardless, I think we were going to shoot for a base color between the wall and the rug so that it stands out more. Since the textures will be different I would think trying to match a color will be almost impossible anyway

• ineffablespace
    9 years ago

This type of paper is often hung archivally: on a layers of liner paper + muslin, so it can be taken down and taken with you. It increases the labor cost quite a bit, and someone has to know how to do it, but I'm not sure I would trust silk to just any paper hanger anyway.

• robnj_2006
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That interesting thank you. Have you ever seen anything like it in person 5 /10 years after installation? It looks really nice but just concerned that we are spending a lot of money on something that won't stand te test of time. Normally we are ok with paying up to get better quality, but not f it's too delicate.