Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01_gw

a bit peeved at Ikea re: kivik sofa purchase

daisychain01
11 years ago

I"ve never really bought anything from Ikea because we don't have one near us and had heard the usual stories about quality. I talked DH into getting the Kivik sofa with chaise for our newly refinished basement. I ordered the white cover because it said it was a removable cover so I figured I could wash it (this is going to be for the kids use). I realize now that, sure you can remove it, but you have to take the whole bloody sofa apart to get it off. In addition, they sent us the wrong hardware package for the chaise and we can't even put it together until they send us the right one. Arrrggghhh.

On the bright side, Ikea's youtube videos of how to assemble are awesome. I wouldn't have realized we had the wrong hardware if it wasn't for the video.

Comments (5)

• pammyfay
    11 years ago

Here's one option: Have slipcovers made, since the Ikea sofa was likely a lot cheaper than ones at other stores?

And there's an old posting over on the Apartment Therapy blog regarding white sofas. A few mention the difficulty of getting the covers off Ikea sofas. But what I found interesting is the mention that the coloring in blue jeans has rubbed off on the white (don't recall which specific Ikea sofa it was, but some Ikea pieces use the same fabric). Depending on the age of your kids, that might change your mind about having that sofa.

• camlan
    11 years ago

Can you return the Ikea slip cover?

There are companies that make slipcovers for Ikea furniture--made specifically to fit their various models of sofas and chairs. I've linked to one below, but there are others if you search.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea slipcovers

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys. I guess we could return the cover and get a different colour. We've already got a couple of hours invested in putting the darn thing together and part of me is just too darn lazy to take it apart, send the cover back and wait for the new one to arrive.

I looked at the Bemz site and I think we would have to take it apart to get their slip cover on as well. I might just make one that would slip over the whole frame and be easier to launder. The cushion covers will be easy to wash, it's just the large white arms that I'm really worried about, but maybe I'll just make arm covers for now and see how that works. I could do them in a bright funky fabric to sort of coordinate with toss cushions.

Shouldn't have started assembling it at night after a long day at work. I dropped it on my toe to boot. I'm sure once the right parts come and we can actually sit on it, I won't feel so bad about it.

• birdgardner
    11 years ago

Suggest you spray on fabric protector when you settle on your cover - IKEA fabrics absorb stains and don't give them up easily in my experience.

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In your experience, do fabric protectors work? and if so, which would you recommend? A salesclerk at a high end furniture store once told me she used one on a white sofa of hers and she thought it actually attracted stains. I've been wary ever since, but don't have personal experience.