Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mreenrn

dark north facing living room- tired of gold

mreenrn
9 years ago

HI all,
I'm in a rut...a golden rut....
I have lived in 3 houses in the last 4 years and all have had living rooms that face north with little to no natural light. All the room were painted a mustard/gold color. I'm so tired of that color.

In our new house we are putting northern michigan red oak hw flooring in the living room with rubio monocoat pure color coating. The grain will be brown but the rest of the flooring will be a light tan. Northern Michigan red oak is much less red than Appalachian red oak so it won't go reddish yellow.

The dilemma? My eye is naturally drawn to the yellows/golds! UGH! Like I said, I'm in a rut. I usually use BM paint with the occasional SW.

Any ideas for colors? My furniture is very neutral and I can accent color with throw pillows/rugs/accessories. Am I going to forever be the house with gold walls?

Unfortunaetly, I'm unable to show pictures as the flooring isn't in yet and the OSB 3/4" subfloor is SOOOO unattractive. DH would like to paint before we lay the hw down. I've looked a design seeds until my eyes are crossed and nothing strikes my fancy except.......gold.
Help me please!
MM

Comments (16)

• joeymc96
    9 years ago

I've been in the same position before. Gold/yellow walls in my old house and gold/peach walls when we moved into this house. I had the living room painted to a more gray toned beige, SW Pavillion Beige. It does not have a gold/yellow undertone, and my neutral furniture transitioned easily. I do feel like I can change up the accessories much easier for a different look occasionally.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Here are some photos of the crystal blue in living rooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: crystal blue living rooms

• chispa
    9 years ago

BM Grant Beige. More of a green/gray/beige, but still very neutral.

• crl_
    9 years ago

How do you feel about green?

Here is a link that might be useful: North facing rooms paint color suggestions

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I think you like gold but you don't want a mustard or a bright gold. You want a soothing color in the color you like. I suggest Cocoa Sand (BM), Tawny Tan (SW) or Toasted Wheat (Behr).

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

You could use colors such as tumbleweed (Sherwin Williams has the old Duron color chart) Camelback SW 6122, Believable Buff, SW 6120 Whole Wheat SW 6121
    all gorgeous colors, you can use tans with a green undertone that will really make that floor look great! An all time decorator's favorite is Plantation Beige also an old Duron paint color available at SW.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Nothing else grabs you because you apparently really like gold. Why fight it? Just use a more subdued gold rather than a mustard gold. I personally love Adams Gold, part of BM Historic colors line.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adams Gold

• flymom65
    9 years ago

I am learning that I lean toward the warmer colors such as golds, yellows, and tans. I gave up fighting it because when I use other colors, I inevitably end up being unhappy and repainting. To get away from the "gold", try BM Color Stories Crumb Cake. It is the most delicious color I have ever used and because it is the Affinity line, the color gives subtle color changes as the light moves throughout the room during the day.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd stay away from neutrals in a north-facing room. They can look "dirty".

Blue is great in darker rooms.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I have Windham Cream in a north facing room. It's a soft yellow. I had also tried the light blues, like Healing Aloe and Quiet Moments.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I have BM Lighthouse Landing and Bridgewater Tan (75%) throughout my main floor..very soft tan/gold. Sandy Brown, on the same strip as Lighthouse Landing, is almost the same as Bridgewater Tan.

• User
    9 years ago

I have BM Wyethe Blue in my north facing rooms and love it. It's apparently saturated enough that it works in low light. I did a drastic change form all my old gold yellow walls and wouldn't go back.

• kjmama
    9 years ago

how about a full spectrum paint? http://www.ellenkennon.com/fspmain.htm

• mreenrn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! I haven't thought about any type of blue because I thought it might be too cool. I do like the idea of a warmer light blue though and will look at BM crystal blue. The LR is just a couple of steps away from our bedroom that's BM Woodlawn blue so maybe that would really work well.
    My eyes seem to see green in every cool beige I've ever tried. Even if no one else sees the green, I see army camo screaming at me so I think a neutral beige might be out.
    Grt8day- I've used SW Believable Buff at my cottage and it's a great color. SW Whole wheat might be an option too.
    My SW/BM color fan decks are at the new house-darn it! I can't wait until tomorrow to get scope out your great ideas.
    Thank you again!
    MM