Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brutuses

Ok folks need help on wainscoting

brutuses
15 years ago

We were planning on putting picture frame wainscoting on the second half of the wall in the foyer, but we ran into a problem (at least we think it is a problem) today.

The door from the foyer to the great room is not centered so when you're coming into the great room from the foyer, the walls to the right and left of the opening are different widths. Funny how you don't notice stuff like this till it screws up your plan.

This is our thought, we can evenly put the wainscoting on the side walls of the foyer, but the other 2 walls with doors are not even on both sides of the doors so how would you put picture rail molding and have it look good? I can't think of a way to make it look OK. DH wanted to just put the picture frame molding on just the side walls and not worry about the small pieces of wall on each side of the doors. Does he have a good idea? I don't have a clue.

What do you think?

Comments (18)

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

It would depend on how much of a difference between the two walls. You say you never really noticed before. If that means that it's so miniscule that you didn't notice until you measured than I'd say make the picture frame moldings the same size you need for the smallest wall and center them in each wall. You could always do it with masking tape first so not to waste trim.

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I knew it was off center, but never thought about how it would affect the wainscoting. Because of the difference in the walls I didn't plan to hang anything on them so as to not draw attention to them. I like your idea to tape it off with masking tape is a good one. I have plenty because I tape off everything. Thanks, I'll give that a try and see how it looks. I think this is another case of worrying about something that no one, but me will notice. Since the wainscoting will be all white, it's not like it will be 2 toned.

I swear, I don't know what I'd do without this forum and the smart and talented people who come here. I get so stressed on the situation I get brain freeze and can't even think logically. LOL

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

If you have each "box" wrap the inside corner instead of centering the boxes on each flat wall, you might be able to minimize the off-centerness (LOL, my new word).

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

can't wait to tell my DH about off-centernessing!! LOL Another good idea, thanks.

• kimbo2008
    15 years ago

brutuses,
    When I recently had my dining room picture frame wainscoting done, I also had a similar issue, and the good news is, it's no problem! I don't know what your dimensions are, but I can tell you that my picture frames are 18" on 2 of my walls, and the other 2 walls have 24 1/2" boxes. It looks great! Believe me, it will look fine, especially since you're not putting different size boxes on the same wall. In my opinion, the key is to make sure the boxes are the same distance from the baseboards and other moulding you have on the wall. So, if you're using a 2" border, just make sure all the boxes on each wall are 2" from baseboards/doorways, etc. I would not center the same size box on a wall that had a different dimension. Good luck!

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks kimbo, but just so I'm understanding what you're saying, let me repeat it back. Are you saying to put the box on the two walls sized for that wall. For instance the wall on the left is 13" wide and the wall on the right of the doorway is 16". So I need to make sure the boxes are sized so that the edges are the same distance from the walls, baseboard and chair rail. Do I have it right?

• kimbo2008
    15 years ago

Yes, you've got it! I actually don't think anyone would notice a 3" difference anyway. Just curious, how big is the doorway opening? If it is fairly large, then no way will 3" be noticeable. I'd be more concerned about the corner where the walls meet- I think my eye would want to see even placements from the chair rail, wall & baseboards. This is my opinion and what my trim carpenter told me. I'll try to post a picture of a corner in my DR where the adjacent walls have different size boxes...

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, Kimbo your molding is gorgeous. I see what you mean. I had to look back and forth to see any difference. With the molding so pretty who cares, right?

The door way is a double french door. I had told DH that I really don't think people would notice because they'll be too busy looking at other things and not in the corner. LOL

Yours looks great and this is what we'll do. Thanks so much. By the way, love your green also. Is that an Ellen paint? Thanks again.

• kimbo2008
    15 years ago

I am sure yours will look fabulous! This has been the best thing I've done in my new house... and by the way, the paint is BM October Mist. Happy wainscoting!

• nhb22
    15 years ago

I never noticed our wainscoting until I read this thread, but we have three different sized boxes in our dining room. LOL

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

See, that confirms what I said, who is going to notice? Sometimes I, like others, is guilty of worrying about things that just don't have any significance to anyone, but oneself. LOL

• reeree_natural
    15 years ago

brutuses
    I also have wainscoting and they are not the same size boxes either...I think it will be gorgeous in your entry..wow!

kimbo2008
    very beautiful!!!
    Ree

• judiegal6
    15 years ago

Here are a few angles of our "off" wainscoting
    Please excuse the spots on the camera lens, didn't notice till after downloading
    {{!gwi}}

• mclarke
    15 years ago

Yup, me too, we did wainscoting in the DR and the walls are not even. The boxes are slightly different sizes. Who notices? Nobody. Not even us.

If people notice, you're doing something else wrong, LOL.

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, who knew so many people had uneven wainscoting? LOL Now I don't feel "different."

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Can't help here, though it sounds like you have a handle on it. I just wanted to give my compliments to everyone's lovely wainscotting. Think I'll tell my DH we need to keep up with my forum buddies and put some in.

• hgerman
    15 years ago

Yep, slight differences in wainscoting stile and rail heights are barely, if ever, noticed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wainscoting

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio