Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vintage aluminum office chair

Posted by franksmom_2010 (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 22:59

I needed a little resale therapy today, so I went to one of the junk stores in town, and brought this home for $6.

Photobucket

Photobucket

It's made by Goodform, and from what I can find on the net, made anywhere between the 1930's-1950's. And apparently I got a bargain!

I have no idea how to restore aluminum, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd sure appreciate it. I was going to start with some mild dish soap and a paste of baking soda for the heavier crud.

The ?rubber arms are in OK shape...there's some scuffs and scratches and dings, but it's not horrible.

To reupholster the seat, would a regular furniture upholsterer be able to do this, or would an auto seat place be a better choice? I haven't figured out how to remove the seat and back, but it looks like I'll be able to without much trouble. Now my only decision is to go with a similar perforated vinyl or leather.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vintage aluminum office chair

That's a neat looking chair you got there. Unless you want to restore it to keep it's value I'd have some fun with it and maybe have the aluminum painted at an auto body shop and upholstered in some awesome bright colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Goodform office chair like yours?

o

Thanks!

I really like the aluminum, although it's gotten a bit trendy lately, but I liked it before it was fashionable. LOL!

So, has anyone ever had a seat like that reupholstered? I just don't know the best route to get that done, although I suppose either a furniture or auto place could do it. And I'm thinking of using leather rather than the vinyl. I know almost nothing about leather upholstery, so I'd appreciate any tips on buying the fabric.

o

For the aluminum frame, you can clean it with TSP mixed with water. Scrub it on with steel wool, and then rinse really well.

o

you--if you have any handy sewing skills--can upholster the seat with fabric...
using leather would be more difficult and not for a beginner--
lot up upholstery how-to's on the Internet

the chair currently has a piped seam but don't know that you would HAVE to actually use that when you recover the seat...it would just a a different look...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here