Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puterputz_gw

Up for the Challenge?

puterputz
9 years ago

Hello,
I am in a mess and need help. Long story short, it looks like we will be in this house longer then expected and I am determined to dress this up to make it look nice so I can have people over. We painted everything grey because I wanted neutral. I am having trouble accessorizing and pulling everything together. Then I wanted color so I bought two canvas prints that I liked and now I am thrown by what colors, pillows ect. So here it goes if you want to take a shot at this. All ideas welcomed!

1. LIVING ROOM: We just bought sectional and I hate it. We may switch in a year but for now we're stuck with it. Entertainment will stay (the top row can have pictures, fabric inserted, doors can be replaced to different types (Ikea Besta). Large Hutch needs to stay. Tan chairs and Ottoman will be going. I am thinking of doing a large gallery wall on the wall that the hutch is in. Rug needs to be dark in color (we have 3 large dogs) and because of dogs, long curtains aren't a good idea either:)..the dirty white chair and ottoman (that my junk and lap top are on) will go also.

2. Dining Room: DR is narrow. Just bought seagrass chairs. Want to get a narrower table like 36" to give more room. Thinking black or glass top? I have an old art deco buffet in storage that I was thinking of painting with a pop of color or silver to put on the wall next to the palm plant. I prefer no rugs in DR because of dog hair:)

3. SunRoom: Is a 11x15 size room. Each window is 6'x6'. The armoire, dog crate, will be going. I can put victrola and chest in storage but will not get rid of those. I just bought that seagrass chair (like it) and I was thinking of getting another one to put with a table in the corner. However, I can return it so I don't need to keep it. DH made the white cabinet (stores our liquor) Thought was to have him turn it into a bar but friend thinks I should get a small scale love seat and a couple of chairs instead.

My goal is #1 to help create good flow for entertaining so people will use all rooms. #2 Make our home pulled together with pops of color and accessorizes. I have wasted so much money on the wrong pillows, fabrics, chairs, rugs ect.

I took a lot of pictures that you can look at. Forgive the mess, but we are planning a garage sale next week. Along with pictures of the house, I did upload pictures of some furniture I was looking at. One blue accent chair for LR, Smaller scale DRoom table (although I think its too rustic), and loveseat (only 47" wide_ with 2 teal chairs that can double as extras in DR if needed.

Thank you in advance for your 2 cents!!!

http://s255.photobucket.com/user/puterputzbucket/slideshow/House%20jeffords

Dana

Comments (3)

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I think one of the things to do is get through your garage sale. They are a lot of work and will free up your thinking to move ahead on decorating.

My first thought was to move the large armoire to the wall where the white cabinet is. There is a need to go up in some areas and also sight lines when entering your home.

With all going on, remove as much furniture as possible from one room at a time and rethink placement. You can lay boxes of their size and get a feeling of walkways, etc.

What is it about the couch you do not like. Taking out the corner piece would give you more room space.

I am actually intrigued by your furniture and know there are others here that will really help out. You already have your colors in the paintings to work with.

Consider a flip top dining table. The are long and narrow, but can be opened to double their size. The tops flip over the main table top and eliminate needing room for chairs to be placed when closed. I have two, one a coffee table and another the dining. They save so much room, but come the rescue for company. Ran a search, but too many different base styles and not sure what you are considering.

Great house, I really like the layout and possibilities. Will enjoy other's take on working with you.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I agree with technicolor to get to the tag sale first and declutter as much as possible. It's hard to see where you might go with the rooms when they are full of stuff.

Measure your rooms and measure all your furniture that you're keeping, and get the measurements of what you are considering purchasing. Then go to homestyler.com ... free software where you can lay out your rooms and your furniture see how they fit in the space. Look for elements like balance and scale and traffic patterns so people can flow in and around the rooms.

I think your rooms would benefit from color cohesion. You started with the gray walls, but it needs to go further. The artwork gives you the intensity of the accent colors, but not which color as they seem to contain all colors. I would select two colors from the art....then use one...say red...as the primary accent in the LR and ...say blue...as the secondary. In the DR, reverse it with blue as primary and red as secondary. It will tie the rooms together without matching.

I'd suggest you watch Christopher Lowell's 7 layers of design. You may find how to think about pulling a room together helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: 7 layers of design

• puterputz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your replies. I will take your advice and get back with better pictures without the furniture including measurements. I will also go take a look at CL's video.

Thank you again!
    Dana

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia