Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Met a color expert tonight

Posted by deee (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 14 at 22:54

In the conversation side I asked for clothing advice for a birthday party. When I got to the party, I ended up chatting with a guy visiting from NJ who works for a company that specializes in color technology. He asked me if I have heard of Pantone?

Wait. What? I nearly rubbed my hands together with glee. DH was amazed when my new friend and I started talking color lingo. He was doubly amazed when we starting discussing the Pantone color of the year racket.

He asked if I was a designer. I explained that I had made a few color decorating mistakes and now I obsess about color. I would have never dreamed I would be talking to someone about radiant orchid at a Shrine Club in S. Georgia!

This post was edited by deee on Sun, May 18, 14 at 6:56

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Met a color expert tonight

Lol, Deee, How completely fun! And---finally--- something really juicy and interesting to talk about at a party!

o

Such a delight! So glad you had fun!

o

Did you get his email addy lol. We may need his advice.

o

That is awesome!!! Pat yourself on the back for the designer comment, too! To me that would be a huge compliment!!!

o

Gotta love this internet thing!

o

How fun, I'm sure he was as please as you to find someone who spoke his language! Did he dish about the possibilities for future trends in color?

o

How delightful for you! Does he do consumer research, by chance? Or pass on comments from people like you?

o

Glad you had fun at the party, it sounded like a good time.

I had a similar incident happen a few weeks ago. I was at Home Depot looking at paint colors. A young couple was there looking for a color for their front door on a house they bought and were fixing up. I mentioned a few things to them and the PPG rep was there throwing in her advice too. The rep asked me if I was a designer. I laughed and said no but thought in my head "But I read Gardenweb last night!".

o

The man I spoke with is actually in the sales/technology side. He sells color measurement instruments and software. The applications are really fascinating. Home Depot uses the products for paint color matching. Apple uses it to make sure different components of a product all have uniform color. For instance the iphone frame, buttons, back plate, etc. might be manufactured in different places but all have to match exactly. Pantone uses it to make sure all their licensed colors are duplicated exactly.

Honestly, I could have monopolized the poor man all night. I sensed my interest in the subject was veering from kooky but charming to possibly creepy so i reluctantly changed the subject.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here