Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dorry2

Fabric

dorry2
11 years ago

Has anyone used an outdoor fabric to reupholster an inside chair? I really want some bright, vivid colors for a second home, but do not want a chintz or a cotton, knowing they will not wear well. The decorator suggested those outdoor fabrics since they come in such a wide range of bright colors. The more I look at the fabrics, the more i think this would work.

The upside is the ease in cleaning - just soap and water for most of these fabrics. I think it would wear well, too. Your thoughts?

Comments (6)

• User
    11 years ago

One caution, they are stiffer. Make sure you see and feel the fabric ahead of time before you give the go ahead.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

I think outdoor fabric is the new indoor fabric, and I'm now shopping for some for my breakfast chairs. Like you, I need something that can be easily cleaned if my GD (or anyone) drops food on the chairs.

My local fabric store (huge place) has a great selection of outdoor fabric and I found most of it had a really nice feel and softness. There are some brands/grades that very stiff so be sure to shop around and choose from a large piece of fabric, not a small sample.

• always1stepbehind
    11 years ago

I used outdoor fabric for my dining room chairs. Mostly because the outdoor fabric was cheaper than the regular fabric. It's a little stiffer/thicker than regular fabric but it is still work with. It's not thick and plasticy like you might think.

This is a Waverly outdoor fabric.

• dorry2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I agree with Ann! My local store has a large selection and most are nice to the touch and not stiff. Always, those chairs look great! The more I think about this, I think I will opt for outdoor fabric for my chairs in the morning room, too! I love the crisp, bold colors and everything I liked was chintz or cotton or cotton-linen and I wanted something that would be more durable. Voila, the sales person suggested the outdoor fabric - she said it is hard to get the colors I want in a durable indoor fabric.

Here are a few fabrics I am considering for the brown chair, which is the last picture.

{{!gwi}} this shows two fabrics. The large floral would go on the brown chair and the smaller print would be pillows and probably window treatments.

what do you think about this blue fabric? The only other piece of furniture is the yellow sofa, pictured.

{{!gwi}}

here it is shown with a pillow from the sofa, so it works with the yellow sofa really well - do you agree??? :)

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

I just did our barstools in a stiffer outdoor fabric and I love it- so easy to clean.

• dorry2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am posting again hoping to get more opinions. Thanks!