Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texashottie

Welcome to my Sewing ROOM!!

texashottie
14 years ago

I've been working hard on this room for the last month and I have to share!!

I have an upstairs bedroom that I have been using as a sewing room. I've been tripping on fabric for the last year because I don't have sufficient storage. My precious father was coming out for a visit from California and I asked him if he was game to help make me some built-in bookshelves for the room that would double as storage for me. He showed up with a suitcase full of tools. :)

This is what the room looked like when we started. We had to build on site since we were going floor-to-ceiling with the built-ins at 9 ft.

My dad was here for 5 days. We worked like dogs and had so much fun. This was how far we got before he had to return home.

Anyway, the three openings below the window seat will be drawers that will file my patterns, etc. But that will be the next "Dad visit." :)

Since then, I have sanded, cut shelves and trimmed the fronts, painted, cut and created a pegboard, and did some more painting. I've been motivated because I want to get back into that room to sew again! I'm having withdrawals!

So here's where I'm at so far.... This is entering the room:

Below is my pegboard where everything is an arm's length away. I can also see my thread inventory. I plan on adding more map pictures as I collect them so I can blanket the wall.

This is my antique British filing cabinet that I was using before for holding fabrics. The scooped drawer fronts are perfect for seeing what's inside, and there are even little enamel placards.

Another view:

And here's my fabric folded on the shelving. I love seeing the textures! I'm more inspired to sew.

And this is the fabric that I used to draw the palettes from. I plan on using this toile for the window seat cushion that I will make, and also the window drape. I think the black in it will pull out the frames too. I've used this toile in other parts of the house.

And this is the CL chair that I picked up to put in the corner.

Thanks for letting me share!

Comments (56)

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

You're a lucky woman to have such a wonderful father and a wonderful sewing room! Everything is so pretty yet practical, and I can see that it will be a pleasure for you to spend time in your new room.

Love the antique cabinet and maps. I just bought 4 maps for my son's room and really like the way you've framed yours.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

Ok two questions...

Does dad want to visit Alaska? heh heh (I promise to let him see some of AK besides the sewing room he builds for me)

And where on earth did you find that filing cabinet (antique british) Gad it's fabulous for a sewing room!!! I love the space so far...I need a few more racks for bulk yardage on rolls...but otherwise I'm ready to move in LOL

• susan209
    14 years ago

Anyone who really loves to sew will be so envious of that well equipped room. I don't sew much anymore but a room like that might just perk me up some. What a blessing your Dad was coming to see you and to work like a horse, someone with tools and knowledge how 'perfect'. Well, it is beautiful and wonderful. I know you are going to be one happy 'sewing fool'!

• snookums
    14 years ago

It's beautiful! And your dad is awesome!

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Boy did I get choked up reading this one ;-)
    Made me miss my dad, he was always game for a remodel project, and knew how to do just about anything. You're a lucky gal, TH, you have an awesome dad and you two have turned out an enviable sewing room! Love that British file cab BTW!

• loribee
    14 years ago

What a great dad....awesome project and room!
    You will really enjoy this! :)

• artlover13060
    14 years ago

You are going to enjoy this so much. I love everything about it. Lucky you, to have your dad around. The built in are wonderful. Enjoy, and be sure to show us what you whip up in there.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

What a lucky daughter! That is some kind of Dad! I love the shelves that he made for you- they are just perfect for the room. I would give my eyeteeth for a sewing room like that! and yes! Where are all of the projects that come out of there?? hmm??? :)

• randita
    14 years ago

In addition to your attractive storage and displays, I really like your paint and carpet colors. The walls are a perfect backdrop for your map pictures and also a serene neutral color as a backdrop to all colors and textures of fabric.

• texashottie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, my goodness! Thank you for the sweet comments!! I'm just tickled with the room, but it's icing on the cake to receive such kind compliments!!

I bought that old filing cabinet at an auction. I saw it and knew I *had* to have it for my sewing supplies. Hardly anyone bid against me! :)

Yes, my dad checked in his tools on the airplane! We had our fingers crossed that he would make it, lol! And he did a beautiful job on my bookcases considering that he didn't have everything from his workshop that he really needed.

And yes, my dad has been one of my most cherished blessings in my life. We are very, very close and I have always been able to confide in him like I could with my mom. He is the same man that bawled when he walked me down the aisle. I love him dearly.

I have to brag on him---this is what he did for my little brother. My brother has a business out of an old 1901 building that used to be a livery stable. My dad laid a brick floor and then custom-built this door for him. He had to add the brick in the archway to close the gap because it was wide enough to lead the horses through. I think it turned out beautiful. :)

• cliff_and_joann
    14 years ago

Wonderful room...you lucky gal!

Joann

• teacats
    14 years ago

Fantastic room!
    Your dad is certainly a treasure -- you lucky gal!

Can't wait to see some of the sewing projects too!

Jan

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Hi Hottie - nice to see you! Your dad is a true craftsman! Love the work he did for your brother. Your sewing room is wonderful. You both have done a great job. Can't wait to see with your cushion and window coverings. Are you going to have the chair recovered?

tina

• bonniee818
    14 years ago

Wonderful room! I love the pegboard idea for organizing your thread. I may have to try that one in my craftroom if I ever sew again. I have a new electronic machine that I have to pull out the book to read instructions on how to use it. LOL!
    I had also thought of doing bookcases around my one window on each side & getting my DH to bridge them together across the window since he is alittle handy with tools but not enough to build the whole book case like your talented Dad. He did an awesome job for you.......love the little window seat. YOu are all set to go with your sewing! what project are you doing? We would love to hear & thank you so much for sharing your inspirational room with us.
    Enjoy! Bonnie

• patricianat
    14 years ago

What a wonderful job you did of designing the room and the bookcases and what a wonderful man who took a long trip and a visit with his daughter to make this a sewer's paradise. This is really just a wonderful, wonderful place. I would be willing to bet because of the love that has gone into this project, this is the most prized room in your home. I hope you will save these photographs for posterity as they are truly a treasure. Besides, the man does artfully craftsman work!

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I love it. I wish my *primary rooms game together so seamlessly. This is approximately what the rooms I actually do any living in look like:

• texashottie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all of you for posting your sweet replies!

Oceanna, I forgot to reply to you that I had thought about putting baskets beneath that window seat. I might do that as I think the texture would be wonderful.

Hi, Tina! I might just make a slipcover for that chair---I'm not sure yet. :)

For those that asked about my sewing projects, I will post soon. I promise. :)

Pal, lol, I'm so glad you didn't post a pic of Charo at me! ;) Seems like you are constantly knee-deep in the trenches of some reno. I have no doubt yours will be seamless. :)

• Sheeisback_GW
    14 years ago

Wow, that's really awesome! I never tire of looking at pics of your home. What a great Dad you have!!

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Tex, the baskets would save your dad some work, and they come in all kinds of beautiful textures and colors. What I do is take measurements, write those down on paper, and put those and my dressmakers' tape in my purse (it's lightweight). Then in the store I measure everything and consult my notes to find the right thing. Works like a charm.

Wow, I love the door your dad built for your brother. You are SO lucky to have such a terrific dad. I'm happy for you. I wish everyone had a dad like that.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Haven't seen you in here in a long time Texas Hottie. Your sewing room looks wonderful and I love the british filing cabinet.

Your dad did a great job.

.....Jane

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

TH,
    That sewing room is so great. It must be a pleasure to work in there, I remember your fab. headboard you made with your Mom, and all the work inyour master bedroom which turned out so nice. Now a sewing room. Yes you are lucky to have your parents support. Then again, you sound like a very grateful daughter.

• threedgrad
    14 years ago

You know, even if you sold the house in the future the new bookcases would make this space a great den or library.

My sewing space is my dining room table with the machine being stored in a small armoire in the corner. This piece of furniture used to be in my daughter's room years ago.

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

What a dad! What a room! Absolutely G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S. I have a sewing room, but it looks like a closet compared to yours LOL. Beautifully done....happy sewing ;o)

• chloeelise
    14 years ago

Beautiful! The built-ins look like they were meant for that room...great design idea.

Have to comment on your wonderful dad, too. What a good man he must be to travel to do this for his daughter.

Love the fabrics you showed close-ups of, too. Have fun sewing!

• lacombe
    14 years ago

Hi texashottie, WOW what a wonderful room you've got for sewing, your so lucky to have such a Great Father to do that for you, now we can see some of the sewing projects that your doing, I just love that toile material for the window seat cushion,please take pictures when your done.Have a Great Weekend.

• parma42
    14 years ago

What a fabulous room, and I don't even sew!

Your dad is truly a gem.

• rockmanor
    14 years ago

It's a wonderful room. The fact that your father did so much work on it makes it even more special.

My favorite photo is the first one of your father studying the situation and thinking things through. I get a feeling of how much he wanted to make things just perfect for you.

• jesemy
    14 years ago

Hi TexasHottie,

Good to see you! Wow, your parents are fantastic--first the upholstered headboard and now a sewing room. Please post a picture of the window seat when it is done!

One more thing--what paint color is on the walls and woodwork--it's a very soothing combination.

Thanks,
    Nancy

• dietcokejunkee
    14 years ago

Awesome room! Looks great! Very envious. I sew on the kitchen island! LOL! I gave up my sewing room so the kids can have a rec room to hang out with friends and watch tv. One of these days...

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

I'm having a serious case of sewing room lust here! I love everything you've done so far. What a sweet dad you have, too! That antique British filing cab is TDF and so darn handy. I want one and I don't even have a dedicated sewing room! BTW, love your hallway flooring . . . gorgeous!
    Lynn

• texashottie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much to all who took the time to leave such sweet comments. I sent a link to my daddio---I know your comments will make him feel so good. Thank you!

I didn't realize that there were this many sewers out there--woot woot! ThreeD, that is a pretty armoire!

Oceanna, thanks, I will do as you say. I already keep a tape measure in my purse and I have an index card full of measurements of niches and corners in my house so I know whether I can pick up a piece of furniture when I see it! :)

Red and Jesemy, I used SW paint colors in there. All the trim and the outside of the bookcases are Irish Cream. The inside of the bookcases is Tree Branch (I love it--it's the perfect rich brown). The walls are Pavilion Beige (sometimes it looks very gray, other times is brown). The pegboard is Sanderling.

• jejvtr
    14 years ago

tex

That is just Not right! I am officially jealous! And you have your Dad to boot! I struggle to get my lil ol spot in the basement ready - it's a process I hope will post someday
    I just LOVE your room - how lucky! Can't wait to see some finished projects -

Enjoy!

• texashottie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jejvtr, lol! Thank you. I hope you do post your basement sewing room! :)

• ttodd
    14 years ago

TH,

You inspired me to stop talking about it and to get off my big ole' butt and relearn to sew! My mom gave me a crash course yesterday after I drove DS1 the 4 hrs. to their place to spend the wk. w/ them. I was only there for 2hrs but I sewed something on my own after mom showed me the machine again.

Isn't it so special to be able to share something like that w/ your dad?! The most memorable gifts to me from my dad are things like the custom trim he did for us last yr. to match what was ripped out of our house before we bought it. The step stool he made me to reach the stuff in my upper most cabinets (he's 6'4" - I am not!). Everytime one of the kids stands on that stool a million times during the day to reach something it just makes me smile! He's helping us rebuild our front porch and will be helping remodel our kitchen (he's a woodworker/ cabinetmaker/ architect by trade). He built the best shop for himself a few yrs. ago where he just makes stuff out of wood since retirement (he makes the kids the best toys for Christmas!). Anyways - what memories you're so lucky to be able to share as you look around your home!

Anyhoo - just wanted to let you know that I finally dove in and sampled the SW Irish Cream today and I'm really liking it alot! So much so that I think this could be the overall color for our cottage on all of the walls when we move!

• texashottie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ttodd, thanks for your note! I just posted on your other thread and then saw this. I'm so happy that you're sewing! I think you will get a lot of satisfaction out of knowing you did it yourself---even if it doesn't turn out just *perfect.* Keep us posted on your projects!

Your dad sounds like a sweetheart. I have no doubt that you treasure his work and his help. I'm sure he loves doing it for you, too. :)

Yeah, I'm glad that you like the Irish Cream! I have found that it has been an easy color to work with and even match up with other products, like when I ordered plantation shutters. My mom liked it so much that she painted their entire rental home that color.

Thanks for your note. :)

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

wow - t hat's beautiful. a dream for a sewing room! I would have loved that yrs ago when I sewed. haven't sewed in about 25 yrs tho. still have my machine!

• dazzlemewithcolor
    14 years ago

Your so lucky!!! Love the transformation.

• Tryin2Grow
    14 years ago

hey tex, long time no see - miss you!

so um, yeah nice room and all but.....

can we please see some more pix of your California hottie dad?? :P

• texashottie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ROTFLMB(ooty)O!!

T2G, you always make me laugh!! If my dad knew about this, he would be so RED!! :D

It's good to see you here!! I hear y'all will be back up in business Monday, so I'll be seeing you over there too. ;)

(still chuckling!)

• Tryin2Grow
    14 years ago

LOL, well, I aim to please :p

Thought of you the other day....there's an art gallery nearby the shop that has pix of Morocco on display. Of course nothing compares to that shot of you on the camel, brave girl that you are :o

Maybe you can continue your room transformation on the site once it's in full swing again (hint). Love the maps btw.

Oh, and I really do think your dad is quite the hottie. ;)

• rdsso
    14 years ago

Love your room. How blessed you are to have a Dad that is so talented.

• texashottie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

T2G, I'm game! Let me get my cushion made and window drape, and count me in! You guys are fun to hang with! ;)

Rdsso, I am very blessed! Thank you. :)

• ttodd
    14 years ago

It really is like an extended family here isn't it?!

• texashottie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lol! Family? Hmmmm... Next time I start a project, I'll invite y'all over and put you to work! ;)

• jaybird
    14 years ago

I would come to help...you could teach me A LOT!!!!!!! That room is beautiful! I sew all the time, but not from anything like your command post!
    Hi T2G been missin' you!
    Jaybird

• senecagal
    14 years ago

Wow! Your dad is a true craftsman/artisan!

• superlady
    14 years ago

Wow....what a beautiful sewing room! And you have a great dad too.

• lorriekay
    14 years ago

Your room is Awesome! WOW! The bookcases came out amazing and gave me ideas. I have to say that I immediately started crying when I saw the pics of your Dad. My mom just called a few hours ago and my Dad is in the hospital again for his heart failure.
    Uggh!
    I enjoyed your post though and that British filing cabinet is soooooo cool.

• natureperson
    14 years ago

That's one great sewing room, and I would love to spend time in there. You have a very special dad.

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County