Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bac717gw

DR update! 4 chairs painted!

bac717
9 years ago

As promised, I'm back with pictures of my chair painting progress. I have completed 4 chairs with 2 to go. I think I might take a little break before I do the other 2 chairs. In the meantime, tho, I have a few pictures to share and then a few questions to ask.

First of all, here is a before and after. In my previous post showing one chair painted, some suggestions were made about changing the fabric on the seats to something with some black. I had the same thought, but now am thinking the current fabric is similar to the look I would have if the chairs had a woven rush seat.

And here are the 4 chairs at the table (taken with flash at night, so colors are a little off)

Here's a pic without the flash, but now the wall color is way off.

Now, for my questions. #1 What do you think of the idea of adding 2 upholstered chairs at each end of the table? Something like this from Carrington Court. I would still paint the other 2 chairs to have a set of 6, but would use just the 4 with the 2 upholstered and use the other 2 when I need them.

And #2 What about a rug? kswl's post about the french check rugs she just got for her bedroom got me wondering if a rug like that in the green check might look good with my table and chairs.

Thanks everyone!!

Comments (23)

• User
    9 years ago

The chairs look wonderful!

I don't know about adding the new chairs to the ends so I'll let others comment on that. I do think that green check rug would look sharp!

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I like what you have done so far. But I would finish the other two while you're on a roll.
    I like the upholstered chairs and it looks like you have room for them. They would be nice for extra seating in the living room when needed as well.

• User
    9 years ago

I am ready to come over for dinner! Love the black chairs, wall color and the prints. Upholstered host and hostess chairs would be lovely--- just make sure the seat height will fit under your table. I am not usually a fan of rugs under tables, but who could resist that green check? I think it would look GREAT--- but that's to be expected, lol!

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

shee - thanks for your nice comments

ellendi - good point about continuing while I'm on a roll. I think I will take your advice and keep going. Also, good point about using the upholstered chairs for extra seating in the LR. Generally, whenever we are using the LR, it's for a larger group.

kswl - knew you'd like the rug! I've never had a rug under the DR table (this table or the one before) because it's so much easier to move chairs, expand the table and not worry about spills, but as soon as I saw the french check rug you posted I was drawn to it. I'm thinking the low level loop would work well under the table. One of my concerns, tho, is having the rug there when we expand the table to 10'.

So....... if I add upholstered chairs to each end, my next dilemma would be choosing a fabric. I'll finish painting the chairs before I begin to think about that, I guess.

• jjam
    9 years ago

Love the chairs so far. I'd leave the seats alone for now. Also love the idea of upholstered chairs at each end but not sure the ones you posted are right. They seem a little modern for what you have going on; maybe something with a twisted or curved leg would be better. Thinking something a little more country french? I'd look at the Ballard's Design catalog. They have a lot of furniture in that style.

Absolutely adore the rug. I've been trying to figure out where I could put one in my house, too!

Please keep painting. You'll be so glad when they are finished!

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

I need a full shot of the area again to be sure, but don't you have a walk path adjacent to the DR table that leads into a hallway? You could use a runner in the check to add in some color/pattern and not deal with the rug under the table issues. And if that hallway isn't carpeted, you could use another one there and continue the check or do something complimentary. But don't do one looooong runner even if it's available - break them up. The chairs look great and I like the idea of the upholstered end chairs, which BTW, you can easily make a patterned slip cover that goes only over the back if you want to inject more color/pattern at certain times of year. Ikea slips may even fit them. Do listen to kswl - I have table/chairs on my porch that are not properly sized - they fit under but once seated it's a tight fit and there's no leg crossing.

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

You did a great job! The painted chairs are really pretty. I like the upholstered chairs too. I always wondered if those style chairs get discolored from people holding them on the sides to push in or out right after a meal, but I have friends with upholstered Parsons-style chairs and they all look fine.

If you did get upholstered chairs, would you paint the legs black to match? I don't think it's necessary, but might help to tie them all together.

Looking good!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I love the black chairs and would stick with them for all the chairs.

I think the rug would look sharp, but I wouldn't use it in a food or traffic area. I bought a green and cream hallway rug and it didn't take long for some of the cream areas to show dirt, and since some areas are clean, it makes the dirty areas very noticeable. Fortunately it's a wool rug and I've read you can wash them yourself.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, I'm going to continue painting! I already have the seat off the next chair and nails in bottom of the legs to elevate it for painting.

jjam - The chair I posted is just one of many available from Carrington Court. I will take a look at Ballard Design, too. Thanks for the suggestion. And the seat fabric IS staying. It ties in nicely with the wall color, SW Blonde.

deb - Here's what I have for a runner in the hallway. Just to the left in this shot is the china cabinet.

And I'll pay attention to the seat height, should I add 2 more chairs. Thanks for the warning.

chicago - Yes, I would definitely have black legs on any additional chairs. I agree that it would help tie them together.

may - So, you think no upholstered chairs? For the rug, I also have the same concern about the lighter color under a table, but honestly and unfortunately, too, I guess, this table doesn't get a whole lot of use.

Here's another thought on upholstered chairs and choosing a fabric. What if I didn't use the french check rug under the table, but instead used a larger check fabric on the chairs?

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

I LOVE the chairs painted black! I think your idea about adding the two upholstered chairs is wonderful and feel the same about adding that rug. Lovely! Don't forget to post pics of your finished dining room. It's going to be a stunner!
    Lynn

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Tue, May 6, 14 at 12:23

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

***Here's another thought on upholstered chairs and choosing a fabric. What if I didn't use the french check rug under the table, but instead used a larger check fabric on the chairs?***

Ding ding ding!!!! Sounds perfect.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think they look fantastic - you did an amazing job.

And I think that green check would be stuffing and perfect.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

I think the upholstered chairs would be great at the two ends.
    I think I would like to see a black pattern , maybe a black and white toile

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm so glad I was encouraged to keep painting. I painted the 5th chair today and may even have time tonight to paint the 6th and final chair!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I love the chairs. You have done a very tedious and marvelous job. I love the rug idea. I like the whole thing, the idea of the upholstered Carrington chairs. It is all going to be so beautiful but you have certainly earned it. Those chairs are no small part of making that room beautiful.

• theclose
    9 years ago

The chairs are gorgeous! You must be so pleased. I think the two upholstered chairs would look great. I like the check idea, or the toile someone threw out there upthread.

Can't wait to see it all come together!

• jennybc
    9 years ago

Love the chairs! Have you thought about painting the frame and legs of the table?
    Jen

• sis2two
    9 years ago

I love the black chairs! They tie in nicely with your prints. I think the rug would look nice but personally don't like the upholstered chairs with your other chairs. That's just me though. Love what you've done thus far.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm done painting!!! The last 2 chairs are now painted and ready for wax. ALL the wonderful comments from everyone on my progress has been very inspiring. Thank you so VERY much!

lynn - I will definitely keep posting pictures. That's part of the fun of doing a project.

deb - I am leaning toward using a check on the chairs, but am not sure if it should be a larger scale or smaller scale.

tibbrix - do you mean the green check on a chair or for the rug?

lyban - that thought crossed my mind, too, to use a black and white because the chairs are now black, but I think I'd like to bring in a little more color now.

patricia - the chairs have been more work than I anticipated, but as you said, worth it!

mammorella - you're right, I am pleased.

jenny - I don't have any plans to add any paint to the table. I'd rather keep it 'neutral' and not tied into the black.

sis - maybe another style of upholstered chair would work better.

Here's another style (altho quite similar) chair from Carrington. This one has a camel back which might work better with the curve in the back of the black chairs.

Tonight, I'm leaning toward adding the upholstered chairs in a green check. Who knows where I'll be tomorrow or the next day.

As much as I LOVE the french check rug, I've never had a rug in the dining room and right now am happy with the contrast of the lighter color wood floor with the black chairs and darker wood tone of the table. But I do love that rug! I'm so tempted to use it.

• carree
    9 years ago

Marvelous. Can you share how you it! I would love to try this myself. This was a great transformation, congrats . I love the rug and would go for it.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

carree - Here's a link to the first thread about starting to paint the chairs. Most of the information about the process is in there. The video on waxing and buffing that I mentioned in one of the posts was very valuable

Here's what I used:
    Vintage Market & Design Furniture Paint - color Raven
    1" angled brush - the brand of my brush is Purdy
    Vintage Market & Design Clear Wax applied with a wax brush purchased at the same place I bought the paint and wax
    #0000 steel wool
    buffing pads (wool and microfiber)
    old t-shirts for buffing

Here is a link that might be useful: Painting the DR chairs

• patricianat
    9 years ago

No, don't do the ones with the camel back. Do the original ones. I think if you cannot go identical, you go opposite; that is what makes the think work together in any situation. The chairs will be beautiful together.

• carree
    9 years ago

Marvelous. Can you share how you it! I would love to try this myself. This was a great transformation, congrats . I love the rug and would go for it.