Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
osugirl_gw

Drapes for Toddler Room

osugirl
9 years ago

My little guy's room has a huge south-facing window with a cordless cellular shade (only light filtering) and a valance.

I goofed and should have bought a blackout cellular shade, but hey, spilled milk. Rather than spending another $400 or so dollars, I am hoping to fix my mistake with blackout drapes. I bought some Eclipse panels, and they seem to be blocking the light, but they are very awkward to slide along the rod. I am afraid I will have a tough time sliding them back and forth.

This is probably stupid, but what am I missing? How do people use these on a daily basis?

Comments (13)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

How are the draperies attached to the rod? For some styles, you can attach a drapery wand to help open and close them.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Can you get a traverse rod?

• osugirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just ran the rod through the top panel. It's hard to move them back and forth. The rod may be kind of chintzy, but I think even on a better rod, it would be difficult to move.

These are the panels. I'm not opposed to buy a nicer brand, but I am desperate for sleep, so purchased these because I could get them right away!

Here is a link that might be useful: Target Eclipse Panel

• Bunny
    9 years ago

You're not limited to running the pole through the pocket. I had that setup once in my bedroom and not only was it so difficult moving the panel along the rod, but it's all bunched up.

Some panels have tabs in the back for threading a pole through. If you don't have those, get some clip rings. They slide easily, form nice soft pleats, and have the advantage of being able to get them out of the way to the side when you want to see all the window. You don't have to clip them at the top. Pinch the fabric in the back and clip it there. You can make the rings as visible or invisible as you like.

• theclose
    9 years ago

Use curtain rings. I use them in my daughters nursery. Got mine at Lowe's. I have white rings and a white rod. Super easy to open and close.

I learned my lesson with my son's room. Had custom panels made with blackout. Gorgeous. And hard to open and close three times daily for naps since they are rod pocket. We did it and now open and close once daily. Not too annoying but rings are so much easier.

Here is a link that might be useful: White curtain rings

This post was edited by mamorella on Fri, May 30, 14 at 9:43

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I agree with others that adding rings is the easiest way to convert your draperies to a format that will easily open and close. If you don't want to do that, you could add a holdback to each side and just lift the drapery behind it without moving the top. You won't get as much light in the room, though.

• osugirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The drapes did not block much light this morning, despite the claim of blocking 99 percent of the light! They are going back.

Now I can't decide what to do....new curtain rods and better draperies, or just bite the bullet and buy a new blackout cordless cellular shade, which I discovered is less than $200 online!

I really appreciate the suggestions.

• theclose
    9 years ago

Well, it depends on what look you are going for. I love drapes as they add a nice pattern/texture to the room. I use them as a design element. If you are just looking for utilitarian, go with the cellular shade. Good luck!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

For a toddler, I would probably choose a shade. I'm always afraid that young children will try to climb draperies, especially in their own room.

• osugirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We actually removed most of the drapes in the house because I didn't want him pulling them down! A few rooms still have them, but he's not in those rooms. Kind of ironic that I'm considering drapes for his room now!

Tonight I put a blanket over the window...classy! I think I will order the blackout shades very soon. Select Blinds seems to have good deals.

• joelovesjennie
    8 years ago

Did you order those blinds from select blinds? We looked up the site and it seems to have very low prices compared to some others we saw. I just hope their quality is acceptable.

• arcy_gw
    8 years ago

We went with a valance and roller shades when ours were little. Cords are counter indicated in a child's room. I would never consider a window that could be touched by a child for a few reasons, safety/cleanliness/danger of pulling down...

• k9arlene
    8 years ago

If you're going with curtains, get the ones with grommets. Easy to open and close.