Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trishann_gw

Becoming discouraged. Will you help?

trishann
12 years ago

Hi everyone! I received wonderful advice on this forum a few years ago and am hoping for the same this time around. I have been working on my dining room for the past year. We painted last year and added the wainscotting. The color is FB blue grey with BM white dove trim. My dining room table and chairs are staying. It looks very red in the picture but not so much in person. It is very traditional but I like the look of old pieces mixed with some modern accents. I bought the sideboard for a steal recently. I liked the actual size of this piece and the glass doors but hate the finish. I just can't decide if I should stain it darker than the table or go light by painting it. Perhaps a distressed grey? My mirror and the light fixture above my table have to go. I just received the two gourd lamps a few days ago. I am obsessed with gourd lamps and love how they add a modern touch to a room. I ordered an antique brass finish at the base but now I am unsure of my decision. I guess I envisioned a gold starburst mirror above the sideboard and figured the finish of the lamps would match that. This is when I get discouraged and all mixed up! Any advice? I will take any and all ideas/

img src=[IMG]http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx267/triciamorrisroe/IMG_0909.jpg[/IMG]

img src=[IMG]http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx267/triciamorrisroe/IMG_0910.jpg[/IMG]

img src[IMG]=http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx267/triciamorrisroe/IMG_0913.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (22)

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

Use a after the jpg. Delete the [IMG] and the [/IMG]

You probably ought to make the images smaller, though.

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

Here you go, your "links" were missing a couple of keys.

I would definitely darken the buffet. I think I'd try a gel stain after lightly sanding it even if some of the white still shows through (not as white but a lightened area of whatever dark stain color you chose) it ought to look pretty neat. It's a very pretty room.

• trishann
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for posting my photos the right way. I had just figured out what I did wrong and saw that you all figured it for me! Thank you!!

Justgotabme- so you think I should stain and not paint?

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

Yes, I do, but then I have to tell you that I much prefer stained wood. If you did paint it I'd still go darker since you wouldn't want it to fade into your pretty walls.

• dawnp
    12 years ago

I would consider taking the wall color and going a few shades darker for the buffet. It would coordinate nicely.

I really like the lamps too. I like the mix of styles.

• lindac
    12 years ago

I really really like the mirror too....I think when you darken the side board you will like the mirror better.
    Linda C

• trishann
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think I am going for a lighter look. Something a little more modern too. I feel like the mirror makes things look too "matchy". What about a sunburst mirror?

• jerseygirl_1
    12 years ago

A sunburst mirror would be perfect. Make sure you buy one large enough to make a statement. I like the idea of a darker gray for your buffet.

• trishann
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There is a beautiful sunburst mirror from wisteria that I have been eyeing. It's gold, do you think that would look OK in the room? Also, I need to update the light fixture. I have no idea what to do. Do I do a chandelier or something more simple and modern like a drum shade? And one more thing, does everyone like the lamps. I can still return!

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Ditto what Dawn said!

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

Stripping & staining would be gorgeous if you can get the finish down to a level clean enough for stain, but it's a more traditional look. Painting would be easier & more modern, IMO. I like the idea of gray, gray-blue or maybe a sand or pale-mustard color.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    12 years ago

I would paint the buffet in a dark beige or taupe to tie in with the rug and chair seats. As for the lamps, they look too "bedroomy", IMO. Maybe if you got some different shades with a pattern? In any case I would pick the light fixture first, then the mirror, then lamps.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Fabulous drapery panels flanking the window would be my next step if I were you. Look at how orange draperies make a statement in pipdog's room in the link below. I'm not suggesting orange, but a bold print could transform your room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drapery panels

• katrina_ellen
    12 years ago

If it were me, I would stain the buffet, unless it would require a ton of work getting the finish stainable, otherwise I would paint it. You said you are not using the lamp fixture or the mirror. I think a starburst mirror would look good, but theres so many options that would work. I would not pick out lamps until I had finished the buffet and got the mirror and light fixture I wanted, you may end up trying to fit them in instead of choosing what looks best.

• kristinekr
    12 years ago

I agree with graywings about getting some drapery panels. If you like orange, I think pipdogs would look great with your wall color.

The starburst mirror from wisteria is 15 inch diameter--that may be too small--i would try a template first.

I don't love the lamps--but that is just personal opinion.

I like your light fixture.

Your room is so neutral right now, you could do anything. You could do a mirror and bold curtains, or more neutral curtains and bold artwork. I see the starfish in the windows--if you want a beachy or white ocean type look, homegoods has tons of that right now.

If it were me, I would paint your buffet as I would be too lazy to prep it for staining--I really like it. the gray would be nice or as someone suggested, a darker shade of the room color--or what about black?

good luck--I feel your pain as I have been having a hard time with my dining room--still picking out fabric for seat cushions and still trying to find artwork that fits--and this has been going on for 6 months--many returns!

• teacats
    12 years ago

A vote for painting the buffet in the same white as the shade of the wainscoting.

Yes -- a starburst mirror would work well -- but do check out the sizes first. Basically cut out a template from newspaper to try it on the wall. OR -- if you wish -- simply paint out the frame of the current mirror to white too! And then -- rehang the current mirror vertically to add some visual height to the room.

Also -- and I do realize that you did not ask for this advice -- perhaps consider adding white chair pads (or cushions) to the chairs themselves. Just to "move" that color around the whole room. Add a large white pottery or china bowl to the center of the table.

Just some thoughts -- hope you don't mind!

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

Use a after the jpg. Delete the [IMG] and the [/IMG]

Actually Photobucket does the work for you. Just copy and paste the HTML code. No need to mess withe the or img.

• jockewing
    12 years ago

Wow! Gorgeous color. Reminds me of my Comfort Gray office, except your color is a tad grayer and darker. I love these blue-grays that have that whisper of green that just gives them that bit of warmth they need to come to life. To me, these blue-gray-greens just go with EVERY other color. Such an amazing neutral.

• trishann
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! Thank you all so much for the suggestions. Graywings, I love those panels in pipdogs room. Thank you for posting that photo. That room is beautiful and exactly my style! I think you are correct. Hanging some colorful panels would definately change my room. Teacats- love the suggestion about the chair pads as well. That is so easy to do. So I think I am leaning toward painting the buffet. Sounds like staining would really be alot of work. I was just looking at my FB fandeck and pavillion gray or hardwick white look really pretty. Any BM colors I should look at? So there were not too many fans of the lamps. Should they stay or should they go?
    Kristinekr- There is a sunburst mirror from wisteria that is actually 41". I think that I will need something of that scale to really make a statement. But I will definately tape it out beforehand.
    Thank you all for looking at my room and for the advice! It's very encouraging!

• trishann
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I really love this grey sidetable {{!gwi}}
    this one too
    {{!gwi}}

and this sunburst mirror
    {{!gwi}}
    Oh, and this is my inspiration photo. Now I am a posting maniac!

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

Now that I've seen your inspiration photo I can see where you'd want to paint the buffet. I also feel that the table color and chair styles are all wrong. Will you be replacing them? Or maybe slipcovers would help them not look so country.
    And as much as I like the lamps they may be a bit too small once you get a large sunburst mirror on the wall. They actually look too small with the current mirror too. Have you thought about making your own mirror? There are some awesome tutorials out there in blog land.