Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

annie, or others in the know of window treatments

Lyban zone 4
9 years ago

We have this room with the window very low. It is a very small room and I would like it to have window darkening treatment.

As you can see the drapes are too tight in the room with no space on the sides to hang properly and the sheers are not giving any light control.

We are at a lost what to do here because of the window being situated so far down from the ceiling.

I wanted a black out roller shade and then to hide the shade top with a cornice or valance of some sort but that would really cut the wall in half and am wondering if maybe that is not the correct way to go.

I also can never get a roller shade to really block all the light because some light always shows on the sides and top no matter how I mount them.
But what else can I do here.

Comments (10)

• always1stepbehind
    9 years ago

do you have room to do an inside mount? if so, you could do just a plain with roller shade in your window opening. when it's rolled up you would probably not even notice it.

what is your purpose or need for blocking light in that particular window?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

How about a roman shade, outside mount and up towards the ceiling?

{{!gwi}}

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Always onestep: The reason for the darkness is that it is going to be a childs room and I would like to have it dark.

Errant: Thank you for the photos,
    I like that idea but am wondering if that long piece of fabric up top will look strange.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I agree with errant that an outside mount shade would work. Either a fabric roman shade or a woven wood blind with a room darkening lining would work nicely. Mount them up by the ceiling and pull it up only to the top of the window...the shade will fill in the rest of the space. The window won't look low on the wall, it will just look like you have lovely deep windows. It will also avoid the problem of having the drape panels on the side where there really isn't room for any.

• User
    9 years ago

Get a plantation shutter that will blend into the woodwork and will be suitable for any future purpose the room might have.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie,
    Thank you, I think you and errant are right and that might be the way to go.

kswl: Hope you are feeling a bit better today. Thanks for the idea but I do not think plantation shutters are room darkening enough..
    I might be wrong.

• theclose
    9 years ago

Agree with the roman shade. We have them in our living room (without room darkening) and they do a good job of blocking the light. You might get a little light out of the sides, but nothing that should be detrimental to the little ones' sleep.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If this is to be a child's room, be sure to consider the cords on the shade....use cleats to keep them up high and out of reach....we had to do that with our duettes too...not because of children, but because our cat thought the cords made great dental floss!

• dedtired
    9 years ago

I have roman shades with blackout linings and I do notice a lot of light leaking from the sides. I use room darkening roller blinds inside the window frame and that helps.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

i agree about an outside mount roman shade. if it overlaps a few inches, there won't be too much light seepage... i wouldn't mount it at the ceiling- i agree that might look alittle odd on that window , but i would probably mount it ~ a foot above the window.