Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peachiepie_gw

Help me turn my Split Foyer into a welcoming plan

peachiepie
15 years ago

Long Post everybody. I'm sorry. Please be patient with me.

I am in the process of updating my 1970's house on a very limited budget. The things I can do, I'll do. The other things are being done with my very good and reasonable contractor.

Like Oceanna, I have a split foyer entry. I am posting pictures and have some ideas. I need you guys to get my creative juices flowing--what little juice I have left :)

There are 5 pictures--the foyer looking up to the lichen landing; down from the topto the foyer; down to the lower area; a shot of the wall at the top of the stairs, and a shot of the mess in the living room. I have been painting the railing back to black (the original color), from an off white that I changed it to many years ago. I want to take the areas back to a more traditional look.

Here are some of my ideas:

The wall at the bottom with the mirror will have a picture instead. I should have snapped it--It's yellow and green. My favorite color is yellow. I know I can't have it every where.

The risers on the stairs will be painted Behr High Gloss white or satin and will have wordart on every other one beginning at the top. I like a picture I saw in the Gallery that had plants on the stairs--I like that. I have quite a few plants.

The wallpaper is being removed. Crown molding will be installed in the foyer, living and dining room. Chair rail will be installed in the Lr, dr, hw. Not sure about the foyer--what do you think.

I will probably update the wall with the clock. I do intend to keep the clock. The sofa table on the same wall will be placed behind the sofa leaving the hall area clear.

What could I put with the clock?

To the right of the stairs going up are three bedrooms and 2 baths. Rooms are yellow or green. Engineered hardwood is in all of the bedrooms, hall and foyer. I intend to put it in the LR, but not the DR and kitchen, though the dining room is formal. What do you think. I will talk about the kitchen once I complete the foyer--baby steps here.

I will replace the ceiling fan in the foyer with a pretty chandy, probably in black--ideas?

The blinds in the LR are coming down. A bit dated.

Help me choose paint colors for the foyer--any design ideas using moldings--I love the looks you can create with it. What would you do about paint going downstairs?

Oh yes, would you paint the door black or leave it staineed as is. Maybe, a darker stain. Anything else you want to recommend, I am all ears. Thanks.

Peachie

Comments (11)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

peachiepie, I know you didn't mention this as one of the things you'd like to change but I'm afraid the first thing that struck me was the black railing going up the stairs and around to the living room. To me it looks dated and 80's. I suppose this might be a rather major expense to change and wonder if painting it white might not at least make it less visible.

I think your idea of painting the door black is a good one, something fairly high gloss I would think. A black chandelier and perhaps a black frame for the painting you mentioned would probably give you a very different, updated look.

• graywings123
    15 years ago

My MIL has a split foyer entry, so I know what you are dealing with. My advice would be to keep things simple in the foyer. My (nutty) MIL has hers so overloaded with stuff that it feels even more cramped than the space already is.

First, deal with what you need in the foyer: Possibly a small bench to sit and take off boots and place a bag of groceries, a place to put your keys, a light of some type besides the overhead lighting, maybe a wall peg or two so that a visitor can hang a coat. In my opinion, the best thing you can do for the foyer is give it good lighting.

I like the idea of the wall words on the risers, but I would not line the steps with plants. MY MIL has hers lined with tchotchkes, and I want to scream every time I walk up those stairs. And they have been knocked over countless times.

Put something striking on the wall where you now have the clock to draw the eye up. My MIL has a beautiful breakfront at the top of her stairs, with a picture array above it.

Sorry, I don't like the clock, it's stuck in the 70's and you seem to be moving towards a cottage look.

Chair rail in the foyer would help with transitioning the paint colors between the upstairs and downstairs.

I would keep the wrought iron black.

• enailes
    15 years ago

Peachie, I see that you like pastel colors so do I. First, my favorite wall colors are to paint the wall in a cream antique white with a white accent on trim. In the winter time, if there's too much color, I start to feel boxed in. I let my artwork and furniture, curtains etc., bring in the color. About painting the door, I like the look of the wood door, however, if you paint your trim and crown moulding white, I would paint the door white as well.

I'm not a fan of artwords and would go for a crisp clean look for the entrance. I would paint the stair risers the same color as my trim. You could add brass and glass sconces on each side of your clock.

I don't want to overstep myself here, but I would consider removing the swing doors to the kitchen. I like the black wrought iron, very french and formal. I don't think wood railings would look good here.

• teacats
    15 years ago

I would keep things very simple -- paint the railings and the door to white. Fresh and clean.

Paint the wood handrails in the same new color as the walls to make them "disappear"

Add a white-painted bench. Keep the mirror and yes! paint it white.

I would not use words on the stair risers -- again -- fresh white paint would work here too! PLEASE don't place plants on each stair -- keep things simple here too! And safer to walk!

One simple color (whole wall -- no chair rails) throughout the whole area would instantly update everything. Remove the clock (sorry!) -- and replace with fresh artwork.

Yes (sorry again!) consider removing the swing doors from the doorway. IF you need to block that view -- perhaps full-length doors or louvers might work ......

Just some thoughts!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• jlj48
    15 years ago

I used to live in a split level home 3 years ago except mine had 3 layers of wallpaper everywhere that I had to remove! You have a nice clean slate. Believe it or not, yours is also roomier than mine was. First I would leave the door as is. I really like it. There is alot to be said for stained wood - knicks and scratches can be polished and they just add character. Scuff marks on paint look sloppy. I would paint the whole area a neutral you can live with for a long time since it will be a tough area to paint. I'm not good at naming specific paint colors and brands, but some sort of tan - whether you go more gray or goldy, it's up to you and your other color choices. I would not do a chair rail. Clean and simple. no plants on stairs. I would pretty much clear everything out and start fresh. No plant, no clock, no dried flowers above door, ect. I have something that hangs above my doorway that I got at Hobby Lobby that looks really heavy - like stone. It is arched - but it is actually light weight. Sorry I can't descibe it better, but I get a lot of compliments on it. As you decide what to put in there, think function first. A mirror to give yourself a quick check is good, along with a small bench and coat hooks on the wall or a coat rack. Then you can tuck in a cute little picture in there. Don't replace the ceiling fan if you use it alot. If you don't, then by all means go for a big hanging chandy with alot of light. Whatever finish you go with can guide you towards other matching or coordinating finishes.

I saw on a decorating show once - I think it was "designed to sell", where they took down railing like yours in the living room and put in low functional bookcases. They turned out really nice and they updated the look and added storage to the living room. I would explore that option. I also think that the rod iron dates the home. I would leave it until I could afford wood railings to coordinate with your hand rail and floors.

You have a lovely home. Take your time with your changes and do lots of looking at magazines and decorating shows for inspiration.

• peachiepie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Let me just say, you guys are just the best. I have actually LOL at some of your comments. I love it.

Ingrid: As mentioned in my post, I'm painting the railing back to black, its original color. It's been white for more than 10 years, and I'm tired of it. I think I have a picture of it when it was white last week. I will post in my next set of pictures.

I'm not sure the picture will look good with a black frame. I will post it also and you can give me your critique then. The black chandy is exactly my thought process.

Graywings: I like your idea of a bench, but space is premium in that small space. I'm afraid a bench might really congest it more, but I am willing to give it a try as that never occurred to me. Moving the shelf off the wall will allow me to see the bench. Lighting is definitely the key as the ceiling is quite high and I don't have that lovely window Oceanna has.

During the holidays, I place poinsettias on every other step and have gotten lots of compliments, but a few of you are poo-pooing the plants, so that's probably a scratch. The word art on the risers (every other one), may be enough. You may be on to something about the clock wall and I may just have the thing to try.

Where are you suggesting I put chair rail in the foyer? Love my black wrought iron railings.

Enailes: Yes, I love pastels. I'm loving the idea of cream walls for that area. HD finally has samples that can be purchased for $3.97. I bought three today. Just remembered, I have sconces, not brass and glass, that I purchased from JCP at a ridiculously low price. Will pull them out to take a look.

The swing doors are going away-just not yet. I consider them part of the kitchen so they will be in kitchen redo. The kids love those doors, as does my contractor. What does he know at 33 :).

Teacats-You just blow me away. I am lol at your post. Simple and to the point--stop apologizing-this is just what I need. Got my big girl panties on today and nothing you can say offends or hurts. I asked for it remember?

The railings were white for 10+ years--time for something new. Door wouldn't look good in white, imo. It's solid and it will either take black or remain as is with a redoing of the stain. You are the second person to suggest a bench. I am going to try it. Will "borrow" a bench just to get an idea. I still think the area's too small but you guys have me just about convinced to do it. The swing doors are addressed above.

Joanie: Got three paint samples from HD today. Will mark up more of the wall and take pictures. Enailes suggested neutrals also. The colors are more creams than tans. I like Behr paint and will choose from one of their palettes. I think I have an idea what you might have over your front door. No dried flowers-I promise :).

I saw that Design to Sell show. I love my wrought iron railing, so it'll have to stay. I have a large family room downstairs with bookcases. I think once something black is hanging from the ceiling-the railing will seem a good choice. Magazines and HGTV are killing me. When I was updating my two small bathrooms, I used several ideas from both and loved them. I have two months of DTS taped for other ideas. Always something good.

Please, keep the good critiques coming. I'll wear the "big girls" for a few more days :)).

Peachie

• awm03
    15 years ago

I'm glad you're keeping the wrought iron railing. A wrought iron chandelier would tie in well. Here's one that won't break your budget. You could dress it up with colored shades. That way, if you keep your foyer simple & neutral, the chandelier would provide a colorful focal point.

Here is a link that might be useful: inexpensive but nice chandelier

• peachiepie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awm, were you looking over my shoulders today at HD? I saw that chandy. Guess what? I have black and linen shades already that I bought from JCP when I bought sconces. The shades were cheap but they look nice. I like that and will consider it as part of the redo. It's a good price and the shades will make it look so nice. Thank you.

Peachie

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Since you love the black I would highlight it. Why not stain the door an ebony color? I just prefer stain to paint given the choice. A cream paint looks beautiful against black, at least to me!

• awm03
    15 years ago

Actually, I have that chandy in my foyer :) I fell in love with its simplicity after seeing a picture of it in this forum. Someone (can't remember who) has it over her dining table with shades, and it's lovely. I also used her dining room color on my wainscoting (California Paints Jewett White). So whoever you are, if you're reading this, thanks for the inspiration!

• peachiepie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Remodel,

I'm glad you like the idea of an Ebony door. That's the only color I would consider changing it to. I never thought about staining it black though. It's stained now so it wouldn't be that hard, I don't think. I have a lot of black wrought iron accessories in my shed out back that I have changed the colors on through the years. Time to get some of it out to see exactly what I might be able to use.

I am so hyped right now on the bench idea mentioned yesterday. I don't have any benches but JCP does. Anyone have a picture of a bench that might fit in my foyer and spruce it up? Maybe, I should start a new topic-Show me your foyer bench.

Awm,

So you have the chandy in your foyer which means you really like it. I think the shades will really make it pop. I am just so pumped about this update.

Keep the ideas coming, please.