Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emma3333_gw

Which bedroom layout would you choose?

emma3333
13 years ago

Oh my goodness! The stress of building a house on your own!!

We are building a house out of insulated foam blocks and we were just informed that the interior measurements would be off by 1.5'. I had to make a bunch of changes and that led to me reconsidering the layout of our bedroom and master bathroom. I feel like I need someone else's input before I tell the builder tomorrow. So which one of these would you pick and why?

I like this one as the bedroom is larger and so is the bathroom but there is very little room for the furniture.

I like this one but the bathroom seems so small...not that we need a really big bathroom for the two of us. We rarely get dressed and showered at the same time.

Thanks for any input you can offer!

Emma

Comments (23)

• nkkp
    13 years ago

I like option 2 better - I wouldn't want to stare at closet doors while lying in bed.

• yborgal
    13 years ago

I agree with nkkp. I like option 2.

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

#2, definitely. That way you have more options for furniture layout.

• greenthumbfish
    13 years ago

Yep, option #2. Bifold closets/doors are a PITA, I'd go with the walk-in every time!

• les917
    13 years ago

For sure #1. We have double bi-fold closets like that and they work just fine. Plenty of access to the clothing, and the closet racks are double hung so there is plenty of usable space.

I would not trade that bigger bath for that narrow walk in closet.

I would move the bed in #1 down toward the bath just a bit, and put the dresser underneath (I am hoping) or in front of the window. Then put the tall dresser on the bottom wall where the dresser was - a better fit. Dressing mirror can then go to the right of the dresser on the top wall.

I would also change the swing of the bathroom door in#1 to swing in toward the toilet, rather than toward the shower.

Finally, if you have a choice, I would put in a pocket door to the bath rather than the regular door. Opens up much more floor space in the bath, perhaps room for a small cabinet for towels, etc.

• lucy111
    13 years ago

I would prefer option #1. I don't care for the furniture layout in option #2 with the two dressers so close together, nor do I like the "wall of doors" leading to bath, closet, and hallway. I would love to have a walk-in closet...but not sure I'd give up a lot for one that size.

We currently have closets very similar to those in option #1. We have nice single panel sliding doors with ORB hardware...and a nice piece of artwork separating the two closets. I don't mind looking at them at all! (Still would love that garage-sized walk-in though!)

Good Luck!

• htnspz
    13 years ago

option 1. I like the double sinks and the roominess of the bathroom of the first option.

• bird_lover6
    13 years ago

Definitely option one. Walk-in closets are overrated, imo. My walk-in closet is never as neat as the wall of closets I had in a previous house, but that's just me. And depending on your style, louvered bi-folds can look quite nice, imo. I wouldn't give up a spacious bath and double sinks for a narrow walk-in closet. No way. :) Even if you don't shower and get ready at the same time, the counter space and extra storage will be great for your toiletries, etc.

Good luck with your decision!

Jo

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Go for the bigger bathroom...I vote for option #1. Best of luck to you. :-)

• User
    13 years ago

Option one gives you the best of all worlds, ample floor space, lots of storage and double sinks. :c) Walk-in closets remind me of island kitchens, for some spaces they're great but for others not so much. Don't force a walk in into the space if it's not meant to have it. That's what our builder did just so he could say "has walkin's" when in reality, we have the tiniest walkin closet imaginable and it's pretty much useless. I'd give my right arm for a wall of closet space like the first option has.

The best thing you can do is to forget about what the latest design trends are. Instead, visualize your and your DH in the space and design it as to how you'll best be able to use it from a functional perspective.

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

I like option #1 but would it be possible to do sliding closed doors rather then bifold? It looks awkward were it opens in front of the tall dresser.

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

On option #1, could you make the wall space between the closets large enough to accommodate your "tall dresser" and then place the mirror on the wall where your "tall dresser" currently is? I think doing that might help maximize your floor space and fix the awkward interference with the closet door.

For me, either option would be fine. I like having a walk in closet so that I can find clothing while my significant other is still asleep. But, I also enjoy having my own space in the bathroom in front of the mirror.

• lyfia
    13 years ago

I'd do option 1, but consider using a wardrobe system like PAX from IKEA to maximize reach and space and storage and you don't have to deal with annoying sliding doors where you can't get to stuff in the middle when open and bi-folds where they take space up on the ends.

• cliff_and_joann
    13 years ago

#1...you didn't ask, but consider this...two 2' raised
    paneled doors in front of each closet (which gives you a four foot opening in front
    of each closet) opening like
    a French door. Leave enough room between the two sets of
    doors to put the tall dresser between the set of doors,
    if you choose to have it there. Then you have room for a nice chair where the
    tall dresser is in drawing #1.
    We have this set up in one of our bedrooms and it works
    well.
    Beautiful big bathroom, did you consider making only
    a one sink vanity with a lower dressing table attached
    (one unit)on the left side.

• natal
    13 years ago

So what did you end up telling the builder? And btw, what are insulated foam blocks?

My mom's master bedroom had a walk-in like that. It was basically useless space on the left side.

• spiceislands
    13 years ago

I haven't read through all the responses but the walk-in closet looks like a pretty good size; are both dressers needed? Eliminating one or both would allow you more options for placing furniture.

• les917
    13 years ago

Just wondered if you had considered building the closets around the window at the top of the plan. That wall is partially lost space anyway because of the window. Then you could have a built-in window seat there, framed out by the closets on each side. Yes, I realize they would not be the same size if the window is where it has to stay, but so what? Use the smaller closet for long-hang things like dresses and men's suit jackets, and perhaps shoes. The larger closet on the right could then be shared.

Then you could move the bed down a bit and have all the wall space where the closets were for dressers, etc.

• natal
    13 years ago

Les, that's a brilliant idea!

• emma3333
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Thank you for all of your replies. It turns out that I still have a little bit of time to choose the layout, I just had to pick the placement of the bathroom window.

I am pretty sure that I am going to go with the walk-in closet. None of the other ways allow room for the furniture without looking awkward. The bottom of the window is only 2' from the floor so I couldn't place the dresser there. I tried the closets on each side of the window but then the furniture placement looks really strange and TIGHT. I tried leaving space between the closets but that still doesn't change the fact that the wider dresser doesn't fit against that wall. I would have liked a roomier bathroom but it looks like I don't have a choice if I want to use my furniture...

By the way, here's a link to the insulated foam block building system: http://www.nudura.com/EN/NuduraHome.aspx

Thanks again for all of your help. Any new suggestions for using this space are more than welcome!!

Emma

• bird_lover6
    13 years ago

You know, I realize that budgets can get very tight when building a house, but have you considered living with the "tight" feeling until you could get different furniture? I hate to see anyone make a permanent decision that you might live with for decades based on a piece of furniture that you might have for only a few years.

Just a thought. :)

Good luck!

• sweeby
    13 years ago

Walk-in closets put a 3'-wide walking aisle inside a box, leaving much less space left in the room. Strip closets (like in #1) put that 3' walkway in the main room, so are much more space efficient.

What if you were to start from #1, and put the bed and night stands where the closets are shown now, flipping the two strip closets over to the other wall. Leave enough room in betwen them for the mirror, and put the tall skinny chest by the bathroom door. Then move the shorter, wider dresser under the window.

• spitfire_01
    13 years ago

It sounds like you have already made your choice, so I thought I'd offer a little encouragement. My master bathroom is 9x5 and my master closet is 7x5. Yes, bigger would be nice, but your bathroom and closet are workable sizes (and larger than mine!).

For the bathroom, you might consider adding a cabinet recessed between the studs, directly in front of the toilet to store extra supplies. Although, I'm not familiar with insulated foam block homes. Will the blocks be on the outside or used for every wall? You may not have studs. If not, not to worry, your extra 8 inches of width will be so nice! You'll have room for a narrow set of shelves to store towels along that wall, if you wish.

In the closet, I don't consider the bare wall to be wasted space. We have narrow shoe shelves stacked on that wall with hooks for my purses above them. I even have hooks above the door frame (on the inside) for DH's ball caps.

The only other thing I can think of (and I realize I'm NOT HELPING), is ... if you choose the wall of closets, you'll have 13 linear feet of closet space. Will you really *need* a tall dresser? You might be able to use that portion of the closet for off-season clothes and put a comfy chair in that corner.

Whichever layout you choose, you will be fine. You can make either work.

• sherwhy
    13 years ago

Hi Emma, We built an ICF house too. It's not finished but we are only 2 months away. (fingers crossed) I know what you mean about planning rooms and space and then come to find out spaces are tighter due to the thick walls.

People ask me, "so how many square feet do you have?" Well, if you count the walls, and that is how homes are measured for square footage by exterior walls it would be over 2,000 sq ft. But since our walls are a foot thick our living space is probably around 1,800 sq ft. Our master bedroom is not huge. On paper it's 18x13 but you have to take away 2 feet for the walls so it's really only 16x11and our closet is only 6x6. We put in a pocket door to the bathroom and we made that wall 6 inches instead of the typical 4 so the pocket door would function better. We ended up eating space into the bedroom to keep the space in our already small closet. It's not luxurious but we wanted to downsize (coming out of a 3k sq ft house). I'll really need to be on my game in designing the interior of that closet!

Good luck with your project!