Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I paint the crown molding?

Posted by SunnyCottage (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 14 at 22:07

I've finished painting my upper cabinets, and just need to paint the little shelves underneath each bank of cabinets. The trim in this space and the lower cabinets will remain red. My question is, should I paint the crown molding over the cabinets that are now white to match the cabinets, or leave the molding red, so that it matches the rest of the molding in this space?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I paint the crown molding?

Here is another view, looking from the breakfast area into the kitchen.

o

And here is one last shot of the kitchen, showing the wall opposite the cabinets.

o

I would leave it as is. Nice job. Turned out great!

o

Wow! You move fast! I really like the white uppers. I would leave the crown red. but it could look okay white, too, because it's limited to that one wall.

o

I would leave it red, since it ties it all together. You have such a cutie pie kitchen.

o

That is really cute! I would leave the red crown :)

o

I like the crown in red. Great kitchen!

o

What an adorably cute kitchen.

o

I have slept on this and I have come to conclude you should paint the crown molding but not the molding around the doors. The white crown will give it a more cohesive look. You have a lot of stuff in these rooms and the fewer dividers you have (and the red crown is another divider), the more crowded it appears. I think to paint the crown but leave the pretty door facings in red. That will bridge the two rooms enough without causing the division between ceiling and cabinets. I had my ceilings in the kitchen painted last weekend and the paint I used for the crown moldings 5 years ago was custom and Benjamin Moore had a computer issue and lost the recipe. I wish I had been able to take a piece of the molding in to match it because the color division is so obvious and prevents my room from looking united.

o

I also suggest painting the crown over your upper cabinets, for exactly the reason Patricia mentions. Visually the red 'strip' cuts the space and I think white would make a much airier and light effect.

Your cabinets look great!

Ann

o

I agree with those who suggest painting the crown above the cabs for exactly the reasons they've given. Great job!

o

Another vote to paint the crown molding white. Same reasons as already mentioned.

o

looks great! so much brighter!
i would definitely paint the crown white! (i would probably eventually paint all the molding and cabinets white... :)

o

Another vote yes to paint the crown.

ML

o

Thanks so much for your kind words and your thoughts on the trim! I'm still mulling this over ... I also posed the question to my Facebook friends (a few are in the design trade and several just love decorating) and the consensus there was a unanimous vote to leave the molding red. So now I'm still mulling over the comments made here, and the others received elsewhere! I think I'll just live with it "as is" for awhile, but I must admit, just last night I was thinking about the possibility of painting all the red in the space Indian White like the cabinets! Ugh ... the amount of work that would entail makes me want to go lie down with a tall, cool drink instead. ;-)

o

I alluded to this in the earlier thread, but I'd paint the crown AND walls white, and add some black accessories. Sorry for adding even more to the to-do list :(
On the other hand, since opinions are split, there obviously is no right answer.

o

How about a peice of flat backed molding about 1 inch wide thats painted white set into the existing crown to give that area a extra detail that makes it stand out as special but still part of the whole. Does that make sense? Mine is done that way over my raised cabs with a lighter rope molding set inside the darker crown. If you wanted to get really creative you could take a peice of rope molding. Paint every other twist of the rope black then white then apply it to the crown.

o

I want to modify my vote. :) Also, I'm not a designer by any stretch.

In isolation, I think white above the cabinets would look better, giving them a cleaner look with more apparent height. But I don't think just painting above the cabinets would look right. If you consider painting the crown white, it should be the entire kitchen. I think that would look fine. Since you have the openings between rooms, it's not like one continuous open space where you'd wonder why the crown changes color. White would certainly give you the feeling of higher ceilings.

If it were my house and I didn't have to do the work, I think I'd want all white crowns. But it isn't, so I'll hedge my vote and say all white in the kitchen.

o

My hubby actually asked me if I was going to continue painting the walls the same white as the cabinets -- he thought that would look good. Of course, that prompted my wheels to turn, and last night I even tried to envision all of the kitchen and breakfast room walls painted Indian White like the cabinets - and the bottom cabinets and all of the trim painted a vintage green!

Gahhhh! Once these wheels start turning, it's rather frightening! ;-)

o

So .... seriously. What if I did paint all of the crown white, the walls white, and did the lower cabinets and the rest of the trim a vintage, minty green (which was actually as it was originally painted in 1940!). Thoughts? Go lie down, Sunnycottage, and have a nice, tall drink of shut the heck up?

o

Would you get bored with that much white?

o

I don't know! There's already so much going on in this space with my decorative stuff ... I'm kinda envisioning the white walls and a medium-to-darker hue minty green trim / lower cabinets as having more of a calming effect on the whole space. The Saltillo tile floor tends to read as fairly "busy" too. I just really don't know.

Of course, if I embark on a project like that, I may spend the rest of my life painting.

o

I like the character of the red trim all over and think it lends itself well to the overall style of the space.

Personally, and please don't take this to be negative, I'd eliminate a few things from the walls. I think it's a little busy in there. I know you only asked about painting the crown, but I think this sort of works into that because the red will look even better if it's not visually competing with all of the decorative elements in that space.

o

I think the red has always bothered me to an extent with the Saltillo tile floor (and that floor isn't going anywhere - it stays!). Both seem to read as very "warm", if that makes any sense. Not that "warm" is a bad thing to feel in a kitchen ... but I do find myself wondering how it would look/feel to remove the element of the red completely. I also agree that the walls are a bit cluttered, and I will think about thinning things out a bit in that regard. That's so hard to do though. Those are my treasures. You know how it goes, I'm sure! ;-)

Back in 1940, the walls and the trim were all painted a darker minty green. I love that color, but I think too much of it must have felt a bit oppressive. I am intrigued with the idea of bringing it back in more restrained doses though. I wish I was a Photoshopper - I'd be able to get a better idea of how white and green only would work in this space.

o

Removing duplicate post.

This post was edited by SunnyCottage on Fri, May 30, 14 at 12:21

o

Madeyna, I do like your idea of beefing up the crown over the cabinets too. That's very clever!

o

nosoccermom - I think I've been "ignoring" your suggestion (sorry - I didn't really mean to!), because initially it just sounded like so much work, and not in the direction I was thinking of going. But I must admit, since hubby made a very similar suggestion last night (I actually asked him where he got that idea, and he said his mom suggested it after seeing the cabinets painted), it's been stuck in my head. But you're saying you would leave the lower cabinets and trim red, right?

o

This is very close to the color that the trim and walls were originally painted:

I do like this shade very much, although I might consider going a touch lighter.

o

LOL Don't hush up, I like your thinking. It would be a lot of white compared to what you've had but what a fresh, crisp look it would be. If it were my kitchen, it's probably what I would do, a minty green on the lower cabs with the Indian white on the walls would be really pretty. At the least I think I would paint the crown white for the reasons above, it does abruptly divide the room between the cabs/walls and ceiling.

o

Poor attempt at photo shop, but I would paint just the crown that attaches to the cabinets the same color as the cabinets and leave the rest.

o

LOL, ghostlyvision! I have long said "one thing calls for another", and that seems to be so true once I embark on a painting project! Of course, considering that the kitchen used to look like this:

-- it's already come a long way, so what's a little further, right?

I've mentioned the green/white idea to several friends and family members now, and they all think it would look super. You're right -- it would be fresh and crisp, light and airy, and I think it would take me closer to that vintage English (maybe bordering on the French?) cottage look that I've been striving to achieve for a few years now.

o

Thank you so much, lyfia! That is a huge help! Yeah - the crown painted white really does open up the whole wall more and gives the space a bit more height.

o

That's exactly what I was thinking of, when you came back from your English trip with so much love of the English cottage look, the white and green would be leaps in that direction (and just for the record, when i started typing the last post was maddielee's lol). I love the color of green you posted above, and with white on the walls and trim you'd already be 'uncluttering' a lot of the look and be able to display your treasures with more abandon.

I did love your glazed walls, but I admit the blue with the red made my eyes go a little jumpy. lol

o

Of all the suggestions and choices to make, the one I like least is just painting the crown over the cabs white. It just breaks that wall off from the rest of the kitchen.

If you're feeling some big changes, I'd start with painting all the crown white first, regardless of what color the lower cabs end up being. I love red, but not in huge doses. I think the green you showed earlier would be great.

o

Wow ! a picture is worth a thousand words thats not at all the green I though you where talking about. I like all your stuff on the walls. I think it fits a older country home. As you probly already know parts of your ktichen is fighting itself. The floor and board walls don,t work with the 50s feel of the cabs and tile and colors. If you want to stick more on the 50 side of decore I think I would use a textured wallpaper over the wood walls to push the look more that way. This kitchen could go totally country really easily as well. What does work well in this space is you have done a good job of working with what you have and making it looked well loved and lived in.

o

Yeah ... I'm not sure how I lived with the "Mexican fiesta" look for so long and just thought it was fab -- but it served its purpose at the time, I suppose! ;-)

I am really, really thinking I need to do this. The more I look at these photos of mine; the more I "paint" virtual rooms on the BM website ... I just think I need to do it. Now ... to find the perfect shade of vintage, minty green! The one I posted above is BM Harrisburg Green, but this sample below is Appalachian Trail and at least on monitor, I think I'm in love (and I'll probably want to stick with the BM line - I love their paint).

(Oh, right ... I do need to get the walls painted first, don't I? Meh - that's easy. ;-))

o

Madeyna, there was a textured wallcovering over the boards that I took down when I "de-Mexicanized" the space. DH has never liked the exposed boards, so I would definitely consider recovering them with a textured paper again. That would be pretty easy to do, and would give a more polished appearance, I think.

o

I'm a designer...my opinion is white walls and crown molding, lighter base cabinets (like the green a lot).

This would create more spaciousness and also be more of a backdrop to the details you do want to stand out. There's a lot going on here...

o

Sunny, that last green is very nice. I'm not sure of the decade or overall vibe you're going for, but that green makes me nostalgic for the home I grew up in, built by my dad in 1948. It was modern (lots and lots of glass) but also had a respectable 50s sensibility. I think this was the color of tile in the bathroom I shared with my brother.

I'd love this color for an edging on a tile counter. Yes, they belong in some kitchens.

o

Sunny when I first joined GW back in 2008 I ALWAYS loved seeing your colorful home. Then I got to enjoy your changes leaning more toward the English cottage look, lightening things up with softer colors.

I think you know in your heart that you want to continue "lightening" things up . Soooo....I would paint ALL the crown white.......take a break and paint the lower cabinets either white or a nice soft cottage green (I'm ducking) and would paint the REST OF the red (doors, door trim, etc white. I would probably paint the beadboard wainscoting either white or the whatever color I painted the lower cabinets (again, soft green would be gorgeous).
Gosh, I am tired just thinking about all this :).

But it can be done in phases.

ALso wanted to add - if you choose to keep your red lowers and other red trim, it will still look great!

Tuesday

o

Thanks, bellafiore! I agree - the more I look at and really ponder this space, the more I feel that it needs some more visual "relief", and I am starting to feel I won't achieve that if I leave the red elements in place.

linelle - My house was built in 1940, so I'm encouraged that you feel that green shade is nostalgia-inducing! That's what I'm after.

When we bought this house, the previous owner had the kitchen and breakfast area painted this red and a mustard yellow on the walls. Someone remarked that it looked like a McDonald's, and I just tried to ignore that comparison -- but I must admit that the busy-ness just wore on me after a time, and it's continuing to do so. In my perfect world, I'd have simple, chunky English cabinetry and the whole space would be painted in something delicious by Farrow & Ball ... but I'm endeavoring to work within my current parameters to get closer to that look.

I think I may go ahead and paint the wall that leads into the dining room in Indian White. If I hate it, I can always repaint with Guilford Green - I still have plenty of that left over.

The beauty of all of this is that it's only paint. OK, paint and elbow grease and a lot of time. But I will never cease to marvel at how something as seemingly simple as paint has such transformative power.

o

Thank you, Tuesday! Excellent suggestions you have. You're right - I don't think I will truly rest until I've lightened things up more. (Gaaack, I just realized this means I'll really need to paint the insides of the cabinets as well, and not just the doors - but the shelves, backs, everything. Ick.) Oh well - it truly can be done in phases, and even though I'm very much someone who craves instant gratification, I can still just take my time and not feel like I have to rush.

o

I never cringe wen I look at old pics of my decorating styles.(okay well maybe the sponge painting was a mistake) I never had the monney to do anything too wild to the home itself so I had alot of fun with pain, wallpapert and things I could easily add to the room. I never could relate too anyone who could move into a home and keep it exactly the same for the next thirty years. Where is the fun it that? Any chance you would post a photo of the look your going after?

o

Yes -- a vote to keep going with the Fresh, Light but Warm and Charming "Indian White" update ..... ;)

For all of the excellent reasons posted above -- a more cohesive visual look to the whole space ....

o

SunnyCottage, I like your attitude and bright spirit. Sunny is a good name for you. Please keep posting pictures of your progress. This actually feels like a real give-and-take conversation.

o

madeyna - I lived through the sponge-painting craze too, and did one small bathroom in a previous home with that treatment, and ever-after felt like I might have a seizure when I walked into it. Oh, the things we do that seemed so perfect at the time! But you're right - many of us make do with simple projects in hopes of transforming our space, particularly in our first homes. I gotta say that I still have the fondest memory of hand-sewing my own little kitchen curtains out of spring-green calico in my first little house (which happened to be thousands of miles away from "home", in southeast Asia - but that's another story entirely).

As far as being able to post a photo that sums up the look I'm after ... I'm not so sure I can! I have linked to one of my Pinterest boards (hope you can view it) that illustrates a "vibe", I guess you could say. And it may not even be a cohesive vibe - but these are things that make my heart go pitter-patter. And somehow, I'm yearning to create more of a feel in my space that brings me to this place. It's like ... I think I'll just know it when I arrive.

teacats - thanks so much! I think you really understand my journey, and where it seems to be taking me. ;-)

linelle - what a wonderfully kind thing to say! Thank you so much ... you just made my day. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspiration

o

Sunny I feel much better about my recommendations (lots of work) after seeing your Pinterest board. Most of your inspirations kitchens are all white or all green or a mix of white and greens.

Save the insides of the cabinets until you are REALLY bored some day!

o

Mine was green and blue on a white wall in the bedroom. I don,t know what I was going for other than I just wanted to play with a sponge. I cann,t follow your link but I did google english cottage garden. I am still a little confused as too the look but started another thread so it does,t clutter up yours too much. I would have to agree your name does seem to fit you. You enjoy your home and that shows in your postings and decore.

o

WOW! Your kitchen looks gorgeous, you sure DO work fast! I love it as is.

o

Thanks so much! I need to check out madeyna's new thread - sounds right up my alley!

I'm going to look for the one photo that for some reason has held me transfixed for quite some time. I'm not even sure why, as I don't really know what it is about this space that gets me (it's only showing a small corner of the room) -- but it just speaks to me strongly.

o

What a cute kitchen. Oh and I vote white.

o

I just stumbled upon even more inspiration! While this is not an identical situation to mine, the before (top) pic is reminiscent of what I'm currently working with. I love how the space was brightened and refreshed in the bottom pic. Just love, love, love it!

o

After looking around a bit I am thinking that a aged wood beam between your two rooms(done with full length aged rustic barn boards not a real beam because of expense.) a nonstained rustic potters island, lower cabs painted a darker green and walls and trim painted white with lower walls a lighter shade of the green on cabs ,a hanging plate rack. I would also consider using rustic boards to make a closet for your washer and dryer to fit in. Keep up wt\ith what your doing with the black by bringing it in with your hardway .Would that kind of look fit the rest of your home ? I would also be very tempted to go brown with the doortrim and lower trim.

o

Sunny, I think more than paint is going on between those two photos. Like the one on top was taken at night and the second one during the day with bright light streaming through the window on the left. Or major lighting. Or, actually even Photoshop. That floor on the right of the second photo seems almost unnaturally bright.

o

madeyna - what interesting ideas! I really like the direction your thoughts are going. Although I'm not sure I could get DH onboard with adding a beam, and I know he wouldn't cover up the W&D ... He's the one who does all the laundry in our household, and you wouldn't believe how particular he's become about how he wants things set up! (Let's not speak of his gym bag, which seems to have taken up permanent residence on top of the dryer though ...)

I really want to paint those darn green walls Indian White now! I did call my BM store and confirmed what I suspected: I can't just use the Advance paint (an alkyd) that I'm using on the cabinet on the walls. I'll need to return to a Latex (I'll use their Aura line) for that. But I can go ahead and do the crown moldings in the space. And I'm definitely going to do the window over the sink in Indian White as well. I'm not sure about brown on the door/lower trim though. I'd probably just go with whatever green I use on the lower walls and the rest of the trim.

linelle, you're right! Wow, I hadn't even really noticed that the second photo has such different lighting! Duh. No wonder it looks so much brighter and airier! But that aside, I do like that room much better without the red element. Gosh ... I can hardly believe I've realized how sick I am of red, in such a short period of time!

And speaking of the green -- I do think I'd like to go with that 1940s hue I mentioned above. Here are some BM options. What do you think about any of these?

The first is BM Lehigh Green.

o

BM Harrisburg Green. (Sorry - no idea how to post multiple pics in a single entry!)

o

BM Appalachian Trail.
Also - I do realize that these virtual paintings aren't terribly accurate, but I do think it's helpful to get a feel for how a color works (or doesn't work) in a space.

o

I think it's been a long time, but didn't you (SunnyCottage) visit England or Scotland and get a real hankering for a nice pale green cottage?

o

Haha. I'm all for white walls and crown, but I have to say that I'm the wrong person to ask about green. It's a color that for whatever reason I really don't like at all. Now, going towards a more turquoise is an altogether different thing. Love! So the last two (Harrisburg Green or Appalachian Trail) are fresher and much more to my taste.

However, I also have to say that I really, really like the red with the black and white.

On the other hand, if you're set on painting the lowers, I think blue or greenish/blue would look stunning.

but with white uppers

o

mjlb - yes, that's me. After a visit to England several years ago, I came home and repainted every wall in my house a soft shade of green. :-)

nosoccermom - not a fan of green? Isn't it funny how some colors just aren't "us" at all! I almost said I don't care for blues, then remembered the blue and white Cornishware dishes that I've just started collecting, and they absolutely thrill me, so I guess I can't really say that now! I think if I do go in the green direction, it's going to be hard choosing the right shade. My eyes keep going back to Harrisburg Green. On the other hand, I really love this soft color - Sage Wisdom:

o

It's really weird, but the only green in the whole house, other than plants, is a masters golf jacket, bought for Halloween.

The sage wisdom looks pretty. It sounds like you may be drawn to the softer, lighter colors.

BM Waterbury Green

Glidden Soothing Green Tea

BM Van Alen Green

???

o

Very nice inspiration pics! Part of me is drawn to the softer colors, but I have to be pragmatic here and the larger part of me is thinking that while I appreciate that look, it may not be right for my space in my house, ya know? That last pic you posted really grabs me. Now I'm kinda leaning back towards something along the lines of Lehigh Green. Now it's calling my name. ::sigh:: I think the wisest thing I could possibly do right now is to get off the computer and go have an adult beverage. ;-)

o

This is why painted cabs. are the best for creative people , the possibliltys are endless.

o

I think it's been a long time, but didn't you (SunnyCottage) visit England or Scotland and get a real hankering for a nice pale green cottage?

o

If you want minty green you could color match your bread box. It would be similar to Van Alen or Hancock Green. This might be close to a vintage enameled stove, though these were from the early 1900's. You should be very sure you love the color. Here is a picture of pretty Waterbury base cabinets with cream uppers. As an alternative, you could keep all the cabinets Indian White and paint only the breakfast room Van Alen Green. Waterbury would possibly enable you to use more accent colors .

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterbury Green

o

Thank you, voila! I actually told my husband last night that matching the enamel breadbox would be a great way to get the color I have in mind! I have started painting the crown molding white and wow, what a big difference that makes! I'm so glad I decided to do that. I'm also painting the window, changing it from red to white, and that is making a big impact on the space as well. Gotta LOVE love paint!

o

Ah yes!!!

The AWESOME and MAGICAL Power of Paint!!!! :)

:)

Can't wait for more photos and updates! :)

o

This is the vintage stove referenced above. It gives you quite a monochromatic look. The decision to be made might be the difference between monochromatic and higher contrast. Waterbury Green seems complex enough to play with other greens along with blue, red, terracotta. Unless, of course, I'm completely wrong and the color doesn't work for you.

o

After painting I think you could marry the two looks you like if you bring a few more rustic english elements into the room. Are you painting all the trim white or just the trim over the cabs? It will be interesting to see the effect the white trim has on the green you already have on the walls

o

That stove is fabulous!

I'm kind of getting another vision here, and that is to paint all of the red trim white like the cabinets, possibly paint the lower cabinets white as well, and leave the current green on the wall. Against the white trim, the effect is very fresh.

o

Hi Sunny!

I've long admired your sense of color and fun with decor and am really enjoying this thread. I have a vintage gas range and was wondering how you deal with the lack of venting? We do not have a range hood currently. And as a consequence, end up with a lot of "gunk" on walls and surfaces. Yuck! We're not especially heavy fryers, either. Just the normal day to day type cooking.

I also LOVE your pot rack. Is it vintage as well?

o

LOVE your latest vision (Indian white cabs with white trim and green walls) -- reminds me of so many wonderful homes I have visited in England ....

o

Ding! Ding! Ding! It's a winner. Wanted to tell you to be very careful about painting base cabinets darker. That's why I said make sure you love the color. I would paint them the same color as the top cabinets. When you said painting the walls is easy peasy, it makes sense to have the walls as the accent color and the easily changeable color. While the darker base cabinets are beautiful, we never know if they might scream "2014!" in the future. We don't want Sunny to turn into Frowny. Brighten up the space and continue to use all the accent pieces that make it Sunny's inviting and imaginative kitchen. When you are done painting, say around 2016, you may look into a new look for your window treatments. Can't tell what they really look like from afar, but just an idea for a new fun Sunny accent.

o

Love your new vision SC, can't wait to see some updates.

And I could marry that stove!

o

Just a hit and run ... I'll respond later but for now I'm hitting the shower and thankful to have a dinner invitation to drag me away from this for a bit! ;-)

o

Sorry the pics are dark. I'm so loving the white!

o

Oh!!! That is a really lovely transformation -- so fresh and light!! :)

Well done!!! :)

o

WOW! Loving it! The window looks totally transformed with the white trim.

o

Looking wonderful, your efforts are truly being rewarded. :)

o

I love your new look! I like the idea of bottom cabinets painted white with the green walls. So fresh looking!

o

You are amazing me. Reminiscent of renofan , who I'm pretty sure you remember...a ball of re-doing fire! I adore your new look. The green of that gorgeous old stove with creamy cabs: ahhhhh. Are you doing this all by yourself? Wow !

o

Looked at your pin board, lovely inspiration pictures, and you are well on your way to having a kitchen with the same vibe as your pinned beauties.

I so love your plan of making everything white with those green walls since you already have all the decor to make it so warm and inviting.

I also admire your energy to do all that work, lol

o

I'm enjoying watching the evolution of your kitchen! Your house has always been one of my favorites here. :)

(Totally O/T, sorry, but I'm so excited ... we just got tickets to see Paul Mccartney at the AA center!!!) :-D

o

You are going to have an entirely new kitchen! The simplicity of it will vastly expand the space. Too bad we can't all come over and pitch in to help. Just remember in the midst of all your hard work, what an incredible gift you are bestowing upon yourself. Amazing job!

o

Any updates, SC?

o

Love Lehigh Green, it is just saturated enough to be striking but not too bold. You know, that restrained English thing :-)

o

I haven't fallen off the face of the earth (or succumbed to paint fumes!), but have been overwhelmed for the past several days with major exterior work on the house. We've had crews out tearing out the old stuff and residing, painting, replacing windows, bringing down enormous dead trees ... giving our little old place a big facelift, and it's been surprisingly all-consuming, so my kitchen project is momentarily on the back burner. I'm thinking I'll take a break from house stuff completely this weekend, and start back in with my painting next week! But I sure am pleased with all of the changes. It feels really nice to be bringing our nearly 75 year old home back to life. :-)

o

That sounds fantastic, lots of work but you're certainly going to be bringing out the best in the grande dame. :)

o

looks nice!! glad you're taking on the bigger project of painting all of the cabinets!! it will be a refreshing change- so much brighter!

o

I would love to see pics of the outside when its done.

o

Here's a pic shot in low light with my phone (such great quality - *snort*), but I was so excited to see the crew wrapping up and cleaning up that I had to capture the moment. The siding color is not as yellow as it appears here, but actually a creamy beige that accents the brick perfectly. We introduced the green in the trim -- hubby was a bit hesitant to do so, but now he loves it. We're considering adding awnings over a few of the windows, and I'd really like to find an installer that can do a 1940s-era appropriate style. They're old-fashioned, but I still think they're charming. You can see one of the new windows that was installed in the upper story in this pic. We're going to be replacing all of them to match, but couldn't afford to do it all in one fell swoop.

o

I love it!! It has way more stye than my boring 1915 farm house.

o

Adorable house in a beautiful, park-like setting. Way way more style than my 1991 cookie-cutter.

o

Love the exterior, it's just replete with charm and character. :)

o

Nice designs in small place.

o

What a beautiful house with gorgeous big trees. From your earliest interior kitchen photographs I thought you lived in an urban area with a neighbor cheek to jowl, because of all the curtains covering your kitchen window. It was nice to suddenly see the window painted white, the light reflecting in, with the view of the outdoors. Your transformation is showing me all the assumptions I make in these conversations-- I thought you were firmly committed to the red paint! It is a brilliant idea to completely transform your colors, painting pretty much all in the new color scheme, to take in account the orange of your clay tile floor. As others have said, such is the beauty of old-style hand-painted cabinets to be able to change the paint color or just refresh the finish after wear and tear.

Is the new window the larger window on the right dormer? I like awnings too. I do believe you can still find them, from research I did some years ago.

As always, thanks for including us in your fun project.

o

You did a great job on the uppers!

I think painting the crown white above the uppers will make the crown look like the finishing touch on the cabinets - so I would paint that white.

I like the idea of the lowers painted green - and the walls if not the same color, maybe a shade darker or lighter.

I am not a huge fan of painting trim a color. It looks like you have trim that is white on the other side of the kitchen? If so, I think it would really pull your house together room to room for your trim to be all white. In your inspiration pictures where the cabinets are painted a color, the trim is all white. I think you should have the focus be on your cabinets - make those the green you love. Then see if you want the walls all white too.

I think it would look nice if the lowers were green, wood beadboard/trim/doors white. Walls above bead board a shade or two lighter than the cabinets. I'd do a valance/curtains in a print to tie it all together.

o

Thank you all so much for your very kind comments and for all of the "cheerleading" you've done for me! I appreciate the advice and encouragement more than you can possibly know.

Covingtoncat - you asked about the lack of venting over our stove ... well, it's a problem! DH is the "chef" at our house and he tends to be a messy one. I'm sure there's gunk on the wall behind the stove (although maybe I'm lucky that my eyesight is poor so I don't readily see it!) -- the pot rack (not vintage, but it did come with the house - left by the previous owner) gets coated with greasy ick and needs frequent cleaning. I do wonder how the now-red wall will show up the gunk once I paint it white, but I still intend to do so. And maybe convince DH to be a little less splatter-prone when he cooks!

Onedogedie - yes, the new window is upstairs, on the far right. (That's actually an attic vent on the side closest to the camera.) I still haven't been able to locate anyone who does vintage-style awnings in my area yet. Lots of companies do canvas or copper - but that's not what I have in mind. So - still keeping my eyes open and pondering that addition.

I have now begun painting the lower cabinets white, and will change all of the red in the space to white. DH has remarked several times that even with the small amount I've painted so far, the room feels so much larger and open. I have to agree! I've given myself until the end of the summer to get this project completed, although I hope it doesn't take me that long. I'll post another photo update once all of the cabinets are finished.

o

SunnyCottage- have you seen this company & website?

Here is a link that might be useful: window awnings

o

Onedogedie - you are awesome! That is exactly what I've been looking for! I really love the metal awnings, but I also really love the canvas one pictured in the link below. I wonder if canvas would be prone to turning mouldy over time? (We had a canvas-topped shade structure in our backyard that got really nasty, so we got rid of it.)

Here is a link that might be useful: I love this striped awaning!

o

Oh, actually this would look terrific done in a green/almond stripe!

o

Oh that's so cute!

o

I also really love the swooping curve of this style. I think it would accentuate the height of our house nicely.

o

I am torn . I love the looks of the top one but the second one does follow the lines of the house better.

o

I still haven't found a local source, which surprises me. But I can order from an out-of-state supplier and have them freight shipped directly to my contractor (same one that did the siding and windows, that we'd probably use to install the awnings too). Just have to get DH on board and then budget for them. I fear we're going to have to replace our darn refrigerator very soon. It's always something, isn't it?

o

See if there is a mobile home manufacture in your area..
They would have a source.

o

If it'd me I'd paint all the molding white, but here is a kitchen with kind of what you have:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here