Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnycottage_gw

Should I paint the crown molding?

SunnyCottage
9 years ago

I've finished painting my upper cabinets, and just need to paint the little shelves underneath each bank of cabinets. The trim in this space and the lower cabinets will remain red. My question is, should I paint the crown molding over the cabinets that are now white to match the cabinets, or leave the molding red, so that it matches the rest of the molding in this space?

Comments (107)

• mjlb
    9 years ago

I think it's been a long time, but didn't you (SunnyCottage) visit England or Scotland and get a real hankering for a nice pale green cottage?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Haha. I'm all for white walls and crown, but I have to say that I'm the wrong person to ask about green. It's a color that for whatever reason I really don't like at all. Now, going towards a more turquoise is an altogether different thing. Love! So the last two (Harrisburg Green or Appalachian Trail) are fresher and much more to my taste.

However, I also have to say that I really, really like the red with the black and white.

On the other hand, if you're set on painting the lowers, I think blue or greenish/blue would look stunning.

{{!gwi}}

but with white uppers

[Other[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/other-home-design-ideas-phbr1-bp~r_33)

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mjlb - yes, that's me. After a visit to England several years ago, I came home and repainted every wall in my house a soft shade of green. :-)

nosoccermom - not a fan of green? Isn't it funny how some colors just aren't "us" at all! I almost said I don't care for blues, then remembered the blue and white Cornishware dishes that I've just started collecting, and they absolutely thrill me, so I guess I can't really say that now! I think if I do go in the green direction, it's going to be hard choosing the right shade. My eyes keep going back to Harrisburg Green. On the other hand, I really love this soft color - Sage Wisdom:

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

It's really weird, but the only green in the whole house, other than plants, is a masters golf jacket, bought for Halloween.

The sage wisdom looks pretty. It sounds like you may be drawn to the softer, lighter colors.

BM Waterbury Green
    {{!gwi}}

Glidden Soothing Green Tea

BM Van Alen Green

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Portland Interior Designers & Decorators Garrison Hullinger Interior Design Inc.

???

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very nice inspiration pics! Part of me is drawn to the softer colors, but I have to be pragmatic here and the larger part of me is thinking that while I appreciate that look, it may not be right for my space in my house, ya know? That last pic you posted really grabs me. Now I'm kinda leaning back towards something along the lines of Lehigh Green. Now it's calling my name. ::sigh:: I think the wisest thing I could possibly do right now is to get off the computer and go have an adult beverage. ;-)

• madeyna
    9 years ago

This is why painted cabs. are the best for creative people , the possibliltys are endless.

• mjlb
    9 years ago

I think it's been a long time, but didn't you (SunnyCottage) visit England or Scotland and get a real hankering for a nice pale green cottage?

• voila
    9 years ago

If you want minty green you could color match your bread box. It would be similar to Van Alen or Hancock Green. This might be close to a vintage enameled stove, though these were from the early 1900's. You should be very sure you love the color. Here is a picture of pretty Waterbury base cabinets with cream uppers. As an alternative, you could keep all the cabinets Indian White and paint only the breakfast room Van Alen Green. Waterbury would possibly enable you to use more accent colors .

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterbury Green

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, voila! I actually told my husband last night that matching the enamel breadbox would be a great way to get the color I have in mind! I have started painting the crown molding white and wow, what a big difference that makes! I'm so glad I decided to do that. I'm also painting the window, changing it from red to white, and that is making a big impact on the space as well. Gotta LOVE love paint!

• teacats
    9 years ago

Ah yes!!!

The AWESOME and MAGICAL Power of Paint!!!! :)

:)

Can't wait for more photos and updates! :)

• voila
    9 years ago

This is the vintage stove referenced above. It gives you quite a monochromatic look. The decision to be made might be the difference between monochromatic and higher contrast. Waterbury Green seems complex enough to play with other greens along with blue, red, terracotta. Unless, of course, I'm completely wrong and the color doesn't work for you.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

After painting I think you could marry the two looks you like if you bring a few more rustic english elements into the room. Are you painting all the trim white or just the trim over the cabs? It will be interesting to see the effect the white trim has on the green you already have on the walls

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That stove is fabulous!

I'm kind of getting another vision here, and that is to paint all of the red trim white like the cabinets, possibly paint the lower cabinets white as well, and leave the current green on the wall. Against the white trim, the effect is very fresh.

• covingtoncat
    9 years ago

Hi Sunny!

I've long admired your sense of color and fun with decor and am really enjoying this thread. I have a vintage gas range and was wondering how you deal with the lack of venting? We do not have a range hood currently. And as a consequence, end up with a lot of "gunk" on walls and surfaces. Yuck! We're not especially heavy fryers, either. Just the normal day to day type cooking.

I also LOVE your pot rack. Is it vintage as well?

• teacats
    9 years ago

LOVE your latest vision (Indian white cabs with white trim and green walls) -- reminds me of so many wonderful homes I have visited in England ....

• voila
    9 years ago

Ding! Ding! Ding! It's a winner. Wanted to tell you to be very careful about painting base cabinets darker. That's why I said make sure you love the color. I would paint them the same color as the top cabinets. When you said painting the walls is easy peasy, it makes sense to have the walls as the accent color and the easily changeable color. While the darker base cabinets are beautiful, we never know if they might scream "2014!" in the future. We don't want Sunny to turn into Frowny. Brighten up the space and continue to use all the accent pieces that make it Sunny's inviting and imaginative kitchen. When you are done painting, say around 2016, you may look into a new look for your window treatments. Can't tell what they really look like from afar, but just an idea for a new fun Sunny accent.

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

Love your new vision SC, can't wait to see some updates.

And I could marry that stove!

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a hit and run ... I'll respond later but for now I'm hitting the shower and thankful to have a dinner invitation to drag me away from this for a bit! ;-)

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry the pics are dark. I'm so loving the white!

• teacats
    9 years ago

Oh!!! That is a really lovely transformation -- so fresh and light!! :)

Well done!!! :)

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

WOW! Loving it! The window looks totally transformed with the white trim.

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

Looking wonderful, your efforts are truly being rewarded. :)

• sis2two
    9 years ago

I love your new look! I like the idea of bottom cabinets painted white with the green walls. So fresh looking!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

You are amazing me. Reminiscent of renofan , who I'm pretty sure you remember...a ball of re-doing fire! I adore your new look. The green of that gorgeous old stove with creamy cabs: ahhhhh. Are you doing this all by yourself? Wow !

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

Looked at your pin board, lovely inspiration pictures, and you are well on your way to having a kitchen with the same vibe as your pinned beauties.

I so love your plan of making everything white with those green walls since you already have all the decor to make it so warm and inviting.

I also admire your energy to do all that work, lol

• Miz_M
    9 years ago

I'm enjoying watching the evolution of your kitchen! Your house has always been one of my favorites here. :)

(Totally O/T, sorry, but I'm so excited ... we just got tickets to see Paul Mccartney at the AA center!!!) :-D

• voila
    9 years ago

You are going to have an entirely new kitchen! The simplicity of it will vastly expand the space. Too bad we can't all come over and pitch in to help. Just remember in the midst of all your hard work, what an incredible gift you are bestowing upon yourself. Amazing job!

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

Any updates, SC?

• User
    9 years ago

Love Lehigh Green, it is just saturated enough to be striking but not too bold. You know, that restrained English thing :-)

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I haven't fallen off the face of the earth (or succumbed to paint fumes!), but have been overwhelmed for the past several days with major exterior work on the house. We've had crews out tearing out the old stuff and residing, painting, replacing windows, bringing down enormous dead trees ... giving our little old place a big facelift, and it's been surprisingly all-consuming, so my kitchen project is momentarily on the back burner. I'm thinking I'll take a break from house stuff completely this weekend, and start back in with my painting next week! But I sure am pleased with all of the changes. It feels really nice to be bringing our nearly 75 year old home back to life. :-)

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

That sounds fantastic, lots of work but you're certainly going to be bringing out the best in the grande dame. :)

• busybee3
    9 years ago

looks nice!! glad you're taking on the bigger project of painting all of the cabinets!! it will be a refreshing change- so much brighter!

• madeyna
    9 years ago

I would love to see pics of the outside when its done.

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a pic shot in low light with my phone (such great quality - *snort*), but I was so excited to see the crew wrapping up and cleaning up that I had to capture the moment. The siding color is not as yellow as it appears here, but actually a creamy beige that accents the brick perfectly. We introduced the green in the trim -- hubby was a bit hesitant to do so, but now he loves it. We're considering adding awnings over a few of the windows, and I'd really like to find an installer that can do a 1940s-era appropriate style. They're old-fashioned, but I still think they're charming. You can see one of the new windows that was installed in the upper story in this pic. We're going to be replacing all of them to match, but couldn't afford to do it all in one fell swoop.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

I love it!! It has way more stye than my boring 1915 farm house.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Adorable house in a beautiful, park-like setting. Way way more style than my 1991 cookie-cutter.

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

Love the exterior, it's just replete with charm and character. :)

• lolasanders
    9 years ago

Nice designs in small place.

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

What a beautiful house with gorgeous big trees. From your earliest interior kitchen photographs I thought you lived in an urban area with a neighbor cheek to jowl, because of all the curtains covering your kitchen window. It was nice to suddenly see the window painted white, the light reflecting in, with the view of the outdoors. Your transformation is showing me all the assumptions I make in these conversations-- I thought you were firmly committed to the red paint! It is a brilliant idea to completely transform your colors, painting pretty much all in the new color scheme, to take in account the orange of your clay tile floor. As others have said, such is the beauty of old-style hand-painted cabinets to be able to change the paint color or just refresh the finish after wear and tear.

Is the new window the larger window on the right dormer? I like awnings too. I do believe you can still find them, from research I did some years ago.

As always, thanks for including us in your fun project.

• CaroleOH
    9 years ago

You did a great job on the uppers!

I think painting the crown white above the uppers will make the crown look like the finishing touch on the cabinets - so I would paint that white.

I like the idea of the lowers painted green - and the walls if not the same color, maybe a shade darker or lighter.

I am not a huge fan of painting trim a color. It looks like you have trim that is white on the other side of the kitchen? If so, I think it would really pull your house together room to room for your trim to be all white. In your inspiration pictures where the cabinets are painted a color, the trim is all white. I think you should have the focus be on your cabinets - make those the green you love. Then see if you want the walls all white too.

I think it would look nice if the lowers were green, wood beadboard/trim/doors white. Walls above bead board a shade or two lighter than the cabinets. I'd do a valance/curtains in a print to tie it all together.

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much for your very kind comments and for all of the "cheerleading" you've done for me! I appreciate the advice and encouragement more than you can possibly know.

Covingtoncat - you asked about the lack of venting over our stove ... well, it's a problem! DH is the "chef" at our house and he tends to be a messy one. I'm sure there's gunk on the wall behind the stove (although maybe I'm lucky that my eyesight is poor so I don't readily see it!) -- the pot rack (not vintage, but it did come with the house - left by the previous owner) gets coated with greasy ick and needs frequent cleaning. I do wonder how the now-red wall will show up the gunk once I paint it white, but I still intend to do so. And maybe convince DH to be a little less splatter-prone when he cooks!

Onedogedie - yes, the new window is upstairs, on the far right. (That's actually an attic vent on the side closest to the camera.) I still haven't been able to locate anyone who does vintage-style awnings in my area yet. Lots of companies do canvas or copper - but that's not what I have in mind. So - still keeping my eyes open and pondering that addition.

I have now begun painting the lower cabinets white, and will change all of the red in the space to white. DH has remarked several times that even with the small amount I've painted so far, the room feels so much larger and open. I have to agree! I've given myself until the end of the summer to get this project completed, although I hope it doesn't take me that long. I'll post another photo update once all of the cabinets are finished.

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

SunnyCottage- have you seen this company & website?

Here is a link that might be useful: window awnings

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Onedogedie - you are awesome! That is exactly what I've been looking for! I really love the metal awnings, but I also really love the canvas one pictured in the link below. I wonder if canvas would be prone to turning mouldy over time? (We had a canvas-topped shade structure in our backyard that got really nasty, so we got rid of it.)

Here is a link that might be useful: I love this striped awaning!

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, actually this would look terrific done in a green/almond stripe!

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

Oh that's so cute!

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also really love the swooping curve of this style. I think it would accentuate the height of our house nicely.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

I am torn . I love the looks of the top one but the second one does follow the lines of the house better.

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I still haven't found a local source, which surprises me. But I can order from an out-of-state supplier and have them freight shipped directly to my contractor (same one that did the siding and windows, that we'd probably use to install the awnings too). Just have to get DH on board and then budget for them. I fear we're going to have to replace our darn refrigerator very soon. It's always something, isn't it?

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

See if there is a mobile home manufacture in your area..
    They would have a source.

• tulips33
    9 years ago

If it'd me I'd paint all the molding white, but here is a kitchen with kind of what you have:

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Beverly Interior Designers & Decorators Siemasko + Verbridge

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH