Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meanngreen

Exterior colors Ok?

MeanNgreen
9 years ago

Hey all,
Do you like the color scheme of the outside(shutters, mulch)
I need to clean up and lay down new mulch which is currently red. Any ideas on different color match ups to go with brick and siding? Do you like it as is or brown shutters, black, green and how about mulch colors?????
Help...

Comments (12)

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

shutters, and front door in SW darkroom - a black with purple.

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

shutters and door with SW inkwell - a black with blue.

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

Overall, the house is very sharp, and inviting, this is an extremely well kept exterior. I am not a fan of green with orange brick, green was very 'in' in the late 80's for exteriors, not so much any more.

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks detroit. I like those options. What program do you use to change the colors like that? Looks so real.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

As always, I like black shutters on brick. Brown for the mulch.

I use colorjive.com to try out colors. It's sooooo easy. Watch the 3min. instructional video for great tips. Also, it offers Sherwin Williams colors and Ben Moore (only a smattering, though), plus two others. What I've figured out, though, is that light colors don't work very well, and no color is anything like the real thing, but you can get an idea.

It's fun.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Black shutters! Matches roof & door, and has more contrast than the other colors.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

I like the 2nd option (Inkwell) very much. The brick is "hot" (not warm, ha, ha) so it sort of cools it off, vs. using another hot color . . .

Pretty house!

• seww
    9 years ago

Use a natural color mulch, nothing dyed. Cypress, cedar or cocoa hulls would be a natural choice. I like the dark almost black shutters and door.
    Sue

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

My favorite mulch is pine straw and it looks like you might have an abundant and free supply close by if those are pine trees behind you. Seriously, it is great natural mulch, doesn't wash out of your beds like those nuggets everyone loves. Shake it on thickly and you're done. I don't care for dyed mulch either; second choice would be cedar or pine bark mulch (again, not nuggets).

Very attractive house. I like the 2nd option also. But you might keep playing around with some other shades and find something you like even better.

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sounds like most like the dark colored shutters. Dark shutters and dark mulch?
    Anybody think brown shutters would like nice with the red mulch?

Or keep the red shutters and go brown mulch?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I would also change the shutters and doors to black. If you are going to use mulch I would use a very deep earthy brown not red.

• User
    9 years ago

Red mulch is scary.