Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texashottie

My Guest Room/Tufted Headboard Update (pics)

texashottie
14 years ago

I know some of you remember my tufted headboard. My dad made it for me out of wood on one of his visits last summer. I padded it and covered it with fabric, and then my mom came out and helped me tuft it. I'd link to that old thread, but it has scrolled off now.

This is what it looked like back then:

You'll recognize that this is the same toile linen that I'm using in my sewing room too.

Anyway, some of you have messaged me in the last few months for an update. I pretty much have all the sewing done now for that room. It's not finished, but here's what I got:

I used all linen and trimmed it with velvet. The inverted-pleat bedskirt I made simply velcroes directly onto the bottom mattress. I found that Corinthian column to use as a night stand for $10 from a store that was getting rid of their display props. I spray-painted it black---it doesn't photograph well. The two watercolors in gilded frames are from England and I bought them at an auction.

I'm still keeping my eyes peeled for a second night stand I can re-purpose. I'm also looking for more gilded artwork for the other side of the bed, plus accessories.

This is the pillow up close. Since I used gilded artwork, I carried it through by trimming the pillow in gold silk, and embroidering my last initial. (I'm the *original* "Mrs. O"!)

My dad made me that 10-foot long cornice board above the windows. I padded it and upholstered it in the linen/velvet combo. The drapes are fixed and non-functional, and I just hemmed them tonight to barely break at the floor. They are French-pleated at the top. The bamboo shades are lined with black-out so they keep the room dark. (There is a wicked cat hiding beneath that bed.)

And here's another view of the room. It links to a small bathroom. It also has a small built-in desk next to the windows.

Anyway, this is my dad's guest room since he did so much work on it. :)

Comments (46)

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I've seen it :) but you also just take great pictures. (Here and the sewing room thread) But you definitely have an eye for composition.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I love it! Especially the pillow. Actually it's hard to choose one element, but I have never seen a pillow like that before.

• punamytsike
    14 years ago

Very lovely. I love everything you have done this far :)

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

That room is so lovely, and you really have a talent for sewing. I love everything together.
    The long pillow is so unique with the embroidery. Is that done on machine or by hand.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Gorgeous!!! Really really elegant!

Looks like a magazine!

Jan

• adi1972
    14 years ago

Beautiful!

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Really good job tex. I love your lamps and that pillow.

.....Jane

• texashottie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the kind comments!!

Pal, you have me swimming in smiles from your post. That is such a compliment from you!

Thanks for the compliments on the pillow! As Pal knows, I was almost in tears with that one. I didn't want a bunch of pillows on the bed and thought that one long one would be easy for a guest to toss off. I found the insert in a Dallas warehouse and it was just bursting at the seams with stuffing. When I made the covering for it and slipped it on, the fat pillow rolled over so much that you could not even see the silk border going around it (i.e. it was on different planes of the pillow). So I ended up slitting the insert and pulling gobs of stuffing out to make it work.

Lyban, the embroidery was done by my sewing machine. :)

Thanks, y'all, for your sweet comments. It means a lot.

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Wow that looks amazing, Teashottie! You've put in a lot of hard work and it's really paying off. I love how you're putting it all together. The windows look perfect and the whole thing is so sophisticated. What does your DH say? Does he realize how talented you are?

• susan209
    14 years ago

That room just shows off your wonderful sewing talents, you have done a splendid job having it all come together. I like it ever so much. Beautiful!!

• lacombe
    14 years ago

Hi, I'm so glad you posted these pictures. After seeing pictures of your sewing room and now the projects that you have done on this room, I give you a A+. The room looks fantastic, you definitely have sewing talents, great job .

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

It looks like something from a designer magazine! Absolutely fabulous. Very impressive that you did all the work yourself and everything is *custom*.

That pillow is so cool. I can't wait to see what you find to repurpose for the other end table.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Well done!

I am entranced by that cornice board. dian57 (pretty sure it's her) sent me instructions on how she made hers years ago and darned if I didn't lose them.

So that's one long 10' board then? It is a lightweight wood? And I'm guessing some kind of support bracket was needed in the middle?

Sorry to pepper you with so many questions. Your window is big like my picture window, which I never have figured out how to dress properly, and seeing this is really getting the ideas churning!

• msrose
    14 years ago

I just love how everything has turned out! Is there any way you can take a close-up of how the bedskirt is attached? My mother is getting ready to make one for me and she was wondering if there was an alternative way to do it. Yours is exactly how I want mine with the straight sides and pleats on the corners only.

BTW, did you get a new dog? I don't remember seeing that one before.

Laurie

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

It's all so just gorgeous !!

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Hottie, it all looks just great! You and your dad sure make a good design team.

I am cracking up at the dog! Cute pic.

tina

• folkvictorian
    14 years ago

What a beautiful room!

P.S. - I love the upholstery on your gorgeous dog, too -- is that why you chose him/her?

• texashottie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the compliments!! You all keep me motivated. :)

Oceanna, my DH complains that I haven't done our master bedroom yet and that I'm working on rooms that "don't really matter," lol. We have a mess of various blankets on our bed that don't fit and don't match. My goal is to start sewing on that this summer. :)

Moonshadow, here's some pics of the cornice board in construction. I made my drapes first to flank the sides of the windows. I purposely placed them on the outsides of the window to make them look larger. Then I took the measurement for the cornice.

It is quite heavy. My dad installed 3 L-brackets near the crown moulding. The cornice board sits on top of it and can be screwed in from the inside into the top of the board.

You need to think about how you will cover it. You can see in this pic how I wrapped it in batting. You don't want the batting wrapping over any edges that go against the wall, because you won't get a tight fit. I did pull the fabric beyond the batting in all areas, including the part that is against the wall. The fabric is so thin and flat that it still lays flush. Also, I brought the batting up the underside that is seen if you were to stand below the cornice.

Folkvictorian, your upholstery comment made me laugh! Tinam, thanks!! MsRose, I got this puppy about 6 months ago as a rescue. It turns out that he is most likely a pit bull (American Staffordshire Terrier). I have been doing obedience classes since I got him, and my goal for this summer is to get him tested for the Canine Good Citizen's Program so he can be a therapy dog. We're on track---we're halfway through our advanced class right now. :)

I will get a pic of my bedskirt and post it for you too.

• texashottie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Laurie, I used a cheap muslin to attach to my linen. It's what I had on hand, but it would be nice if you used something that matched better. It doesn't really show at all, but sometimes just the edge where they are seamed together does.

I stitched the velcro on it, then used a spray adhesive to attach the mate directly onto the mattress. So far, so good. It hasn't shifted at all, even when I slid the mattress to take these pics.

Btw, I do have side pleats halfway down the bed. :)

I attached the muslin first and then assimilated it over the mattress to see how to sew the corners. I wanted the linen skirt to drape nicely, so your mom will need to play with it. Once I got the corners to hang nicely and had the muslin overlapped properly, I pinned it then sewed it in place. (Excuse this part--it's not sewn very pretty)

Hope this helps you. You have a sweet mom. :)

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

I love your room and I think all of the compliments are already taken! Your work is inspiring that is for sure. Thanks for posting.

• upa_lazy_river
    14 years ago

It's so satisfying to know that you (and dad!) are the reason that this room is so beautiful. You do outstanding work and I love the way it looks. Congratulations!

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Great instructions and illustrations with photos, TH, thanks so much, I really appreciate the time you took to answer! ;-)

• ttodd
    14 years ago

SWOON! TH you are so good and so talented. My favorite part though are the 2 pics. I'm a sucker for landscapes!

Love your rescue! DS1 wants to bring home a Staffordshire Pit that lives down the street from us. Super sweet girl and they keep her outside all of the time w/ just a porch as a shelter.

There's an American Pit that lives down the street from us too that escaped once and lived w/ us for 2 days until we found the owners. What a sweetie he was!!!!

• msrose
    14 years ago

Thank you for the pictures!!

Laurie

• User
    14 years ago

I always say it but I just love your house! Everything looks great! Seriously I love all of it. And that column...only $10?!

• jerseygirl_1
    14 years ago

Gosh your good. What a beautiful room!

Texas, your the one that inspired me when I started my guest room. Now, I'm checking our you bedskirt. Was that difficult?

• texashottie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the sweet comments, Coop and Lazy River!

Moonshadow, let me know if you need more info. It's not terribly difficult at all.

Sheesh, thanks! I think my column is kinda fun! Here's a washed out pic but at least you can see the detail better. It is super-heavy---had to wheel it around on a dolly.

Jersey, that's a huge compliment from you as I remember your guest room was beautiful. The bedskirt was not that difficult---the only thing that was time-consuming about it was dealing with a patterned fabric and matching it, figuring out the repeat. The pattern repeat was a 1/4" too short to make it to the floor, so I was trying to make up the difference in the seams, etc. If I remember correctly, you used a solid fabric... I'd encourage you to give it a go!

Ttodd, what's up, girlfriend?? ;) I've grown to become a fan of pits since I got the Judge. My fave is "Daddy" on the Dog Whisperer.

• patricianat
    14 years ago

What a great eye you have for design and what tenacity and ability you have to carry it out mechanically and to a beautiful finish. I bet there are a lot of folks wishing to be you when they grew up. ;-)

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Wow, it's all so amazing Texashottie. You are a very talented woman.

• User
    14 years ago

*Drooooooooool* Thanks for posting that close up!

• texashottie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Patricia, you give me too much credit. But thank you for your sweet remarks! :)

Justgotabeme and Sheesh, thanks so much!!

Thanks for looking. :)

• msrose
    14 years ago

Tex - Is the pleat on the side just for looks or is it hiding a seam?

Laurie

• judithva
    14 years ago

Wow, your guest room came out great, and it is so wonderful that your dad helped you with your project. (your dog is pretty adorable too, it is so nice of you to participate in such a worthy project)

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Absolutely outstanding job, TH, the room is lovely! I'm a sucker for toile myself, and love that pattern you selected. Thanks for the tips on the valence, your dad was great to help with that. I'm still considering doing something similar for our MBR once I find the time and inclination. Love the padded headboard, too!

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

Beautiful....looks like an upscale hotel suite.

Your sewing skills look very professional ( saying this with alot of envy as my machine gathers dust b/c of lack of knowledge!!)

Smiles:)

• texashottie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Laurie, I wasn't sure if I wanted the side pleat or not either. Before I sewed the pleats in, I pinned it up on the bottom mattress and thought it looked too "flat" stretching that length. IMHO, I think the side pleat adds to it and looks a bit more finished. But it's all preference.

Btw, my seams landed where ever they landed. You can barely detect my seam in the side-pleat picture. It's to the right of the pleat and cuts through the middle of the flying crane.

I also thought that it might be pretty to use a complementary fabric inside the pleats. :)

Judithva, thank you!! I'm a sucker for doggies. :)

Nanny and Scooby, I hope you both jump in and go for it! Scoobs, I pretty much learned how to sew by researching books and through the web. If I can do it, you can! Thanks for the sweet remarks, you two.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    14 years ago

I am so very glad that I opened this post. Reason numero uno, the room is captivating. You have done a wonderful job and any guest is sure to feel very welcome there. Numero dos, I had just started cutting fabric for my daughter's bedskirt and those side pleats are exactly what I need to make it work.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

That was beautiful!

Red

• jayhawker
    14 years ago

What were the dimensions of the headboard? D0 you know of a sight for making roman shades? YOur room is wonderful!!

• shay13
    14 years ago

Love your headboard! Did you attach it to the wall or just lean it up against the wall? If you attached it, can you tell us how you did?

• catkin
    14 years ago

Great job!
    Can you share any specs on your frieze carpet, brand, color, etc.? Thanks!

• queenofmycastle0221
    14 years ago

I love it all but especially the column! I want that!

Another thing that impresses me is the patience. I would want it finished so bad that I might settle for anything. Your patience for perfection is an incentive for me!

Alicia

• susan209
    14 years ago

You certainly are a perfectionist, I would have never guessed that you make everything in your room as it surely looks professionally make by a studio. Your talent just seeps out! Honestly your room is just gorgeous. It's nice you have a Dad with talent too.
    Thanks so much for sharing this lovely room, as you can tell we are all very impressed with what we have seen you do once again.

• loribee
    14 years ago

How lovely...thank you for sharing! :)

• artlover13060
    14 years ago

Beautiful classy room and your sewing and upholstery skills look professional. Sounds like your parents are very talented to.

• jovtfam4
    14 years ago

Gorgeous!!!!! Come to my house and help me!!!!!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH