Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gingerjenny

foyer advice /chair rail

gingerjenny
9 years ago

I'm looking for some opinions on what color to paint a foyer that has chair rail. When you enter the house there are french doors on one side going to an office and the other side is open to the dining room. The living room is ahead and will be painted in shaker beige. I was thinking of painting the top shaker beige and the bottom a james river grey. Then doing the dining room the same?

Comments (9)

• gingerjenny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the lights will all be changing to something probably black or oil rubbed bronze. I'm up for suggestions.

Here is a photo of the dining room. The colors here don't bother me as much as the foyer

• gingerjenny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've never had chair rail before and its throwing me. What would you think if I did the living room the shaker beige and painted just the window wall as an accent a dark blue gray like James river gray? would it be too much to have it in the dining room/foyer and as an accent? Please note this is not my furniture. I just want to start painting as soon as we move in. Our current living room furniture is a dark brown leather couch. We have black end tables and teal lamps but those could be changed

• gingerjenny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

anyone? i'd even love photos of your chair rail

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Ginger, I don't have chair rail but I think Shaker Beige would look great in your foyer. I also think doing an accent wall would look nice however I really like the current dining room color.

• jjam
    9 years ago

I think I'd just paint the top and bottom the same color in your foyer. Looks like a little too much "two tone" stuff going on. I also removed chair railing from a kitchen once and it looked so much better. I did wallpaper over the whole area though so there was no problem hiding the area that had been patched.

If you are going to keep the chair rail in your DR; which I think looks great, I'd also add some wainscoting.

Without seeing your furnishings, etc. I don't think I could comment on specific colors but would look at simplifying things. Just because you can have two colors on the same wall everywhere doesn't mean you should; iykwim.

• SusanNJ72
    9 years ago

We added molding to the wall underneath our foyer chair rail and painted it all white. I'm going to attempt to attach a phone pic, though the lighting is terrible right now. :(

In our dining room, we have two different colors above and below the white molding. A trick I heard somewhere was to use two colors from the same paint strip, so you know they will go together. We are probably going to change to the same treatment as the foyer, though.

Your rooms are very pretty!

• Jules
    9 years ago

Susan, your molding under the chair rail turned out great, and I think it would look fantastic in your foyer, ginger. Good luck.

• gingerjenny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Susan, I think that molding looks awesome! I love it actually!

My dining room table is a pretty typical missions style table. I also have a china cabinet that is the same.

• Jennifer Stutzman
    6 years ago

Just found this old photo. Here is the after.