Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bac717gw

A few more fabric choices for DR (part 2)

bac717
9 years ago

I was out today looking at fabric again and would like to share a few more choices. I posted the first fabric shown below on my previous thread, which I will link here, but am not sure how much feedback I might get on that old thread, so am starting a new one.

Here's what I found today at Calico. Now that it's home, I feel it may be too close to the wall color. However, the green is PERFECT with the sofa and the gold color works great with the fabric on the black chair seats. The big drawback, tho, is the price. It's more than 3 X's the price of the larger check that many liked from my precious thread.

Here's another fabric I found on line. I don't know if the narrow stripe with the check is black or not. If it is, that might look nice with the black chairs. I think I might go ahead and order a large swatch of this one, if it gets 'positive reviews'. :)

FYI - The size of the checks of the favorite from the precious thread is 2". The size of the checks on the fabric from Calico as well as the fabric I found on line is 3".

Also wanted to mention that I looked at the Karastan French Check at a carpet store today and it's beautiful in person. It's still on my mind. One alternative would be to use the rug and not add any upholstered chairs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Opinions on these 2 possible fabrics for DR chairs

Comments (10)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Bac, I love the first fabric but I don't care for the second one. I can't explain why I guess it's just a visceral reaction.

Is this fabric for the seat of your beautiful painted chairs? I really do think you need to decide if you are using the carpet or not before going forward with a fabric choice.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

holly-kay, thanks for you response. The fabric is for the upholstered parson's chairs I'm thinking about adding to each end of the table. The current fabric on the painted chairs is very new and will stay.

You are definitely right. I need to decide whether or not I'm going to use a rug under the table before committing to a fabric. I'm leaning toward no rug because adding the French Check would lead to changing quite a few things in the living room (which I eventually want to anyway), but who knows how long that could take.

Oh, also wanted to thank you for your response on my other fabric choice thread.

This post was edited by bac717 on Thu, May 22, 14 at 21:06

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

You are very welcome Bac. I think you have a very lovely dining room. The prints, the wall color, your beautiful table, and the wonderful chairs you redid. I remember now that the fabric is for Parson's chairs. I know whatever you do it will be lovely!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

You prints are so pretty.

I really love the first fabric (isnt that always the way with pricey stuff)/ Somehow the second one looks officey to me.

• voila
    9 years ago

It's funny, but with the gold/beige color added to the green on the Calico Corners fabric it reads more "plaid" to me than buffalo check. It's probably my eyes. I like the second choice with the outline of ?black. Hate to make things complicated, but could you use buffalo check in biscuit to reupholster the living room chairs and go with cream/gold colored linen/sunbrella for the dining room? That might afllow you to use the rug you love? Can you mix buffalo check colors in adjoining rooms, (channeling kswl)?

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the vote of confidence, holly-kay.

mtn - I'm going to inquire about the next sale at Calico to see how much I might be able to save on the fabric, should I go with that one.

voila - I like your suggestions and I agree with you, now that I take a closer look at the fabric, that it does read more "plaid". I have a much darker, much busier plaid in the LR right now that I would love to change, so I must be very careful to not add in another plaid that I will want to change too soon.

I think I should be considering possible fabrics for a chair or chairs in the LR along with fabric for the dining room, so it all works together. Yikes, what have I started??

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

LOL Bac, you are experiencing the early symptoms of scope creep! Happy Memorial Day to you.

• msrose
    9 years ago

I have a bedskirt out of the Calico fabric. It was expensive, but I fell in love with it, so I splurged. I think I would get the cheaper buffalo check if it matches the seats of your chairs. If the Calico fabric matches better, I might splurge and go for it. I love your pictures on the wall! Did they come from Ballards?

This post was edited by msrose on Sat, May 24, 14 at 10:01

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL, holly-kay! You got that right! Scope creep! But I really do think the LR needs some brightening up.

msrose - The prints are from Ballards, but I was lucky to get them from a consignment shop a few years ago.

In the meantime, on my original thread about fabric choices, another buffalo check from Country Curtains was mentioned by cozyplace. It appears to be more of a sage green, which may work better with my sofa color. The price is between the first buffalo check and the Calico fabric. I need to see it IRL to determine if it, too, is a contender.

• msrose
    9 years ago

I'm actually having second thoughts about the Calico fabric now. I just looked at my bedskirt from a distance and I don't really see green even though I see it in your sample above. The aqua color stands out more to me.