Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gingerjenny

Help with lighting

gingerjenny
9 years ago

We just bought a house and I am not sure what to do about the lighting situation. I had planned on building a craftsman style house but we ended up buying instead. This house isn't craftsman at all but my dining room table is mission style.
I am not sure what to do about lighting over the island and in the eat in kitchen area. Should I do a pendant?? Or just a ceiling light? There are pot lights in the kitchen now

Comments (9)

• gingerjenny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

eventually we will probably redo the counters but not for a while. Here is a photo of the rest of the kitchen. I believe the old owners must of brought these lights from their old house. The house is 10 years old and the lights are probably much much older.

• chloenkitty
    9 years ago

I think a pendant would be really nice, especially when you add your own style to it

• gingerjenny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

would a single pendant look funny?

• patricianat
    9 years ago

There are double- and triple-pendant lights. I think either would work better than the single. Just find one that will suit your needs now and down the road should you choose to alter your style somewhat. As far as the pot ceiling lights, I love them. I am at the point in my life that I want something that works for my eyes and not for someone else's eye candy.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Consider a double pendant hung from a single canopy over the island, and a coordinating fixture for over your table. There are lots to choose from in Craftsman style. Just depends on your price point.

Change out the hardware on the cabinets to bronze pulls and that will also lean the room toward a craftsman style. I'd consider replacing the white dishwasher too.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Does the island need lighting? With it being small and plain it seems a pendant will highlight a feature that shouldn't be highlighted. It's also a small kitchen, so pendants could look busier in your kitchen than they do in the examples. I see you also have a peninsula. If it has seating, I'd put a pendant there.

I might think about removing the island since it looks like it crowds the kitchen. Do you have enough prep space between your sink and stove? The island is only 24" deep, the same as your perimeter, so you will probably prep by the sink anyway unless you have a short counter there.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I would go with a 2 light pendant fixture over the island and then a coordinating fixture over the table, based on the size of the table.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

The one AnnieD posted is similar to mine although mine is brushed stainless in color (not sure about actual product). It is attractive and is great for task lighting, which is what I use my bar for although on occasion my grandkids eat there and it is fine for that as well (for them eating is a task; they much prefer running and playing).

• gingerjenny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

so it seems I should get a double pendant? I'll look. I am wondering if I should go with a craftsman theme at all. The outside of the house is more traditional i guess. Lots of crown molding in rooms and chair rails.
    We will replace the dishwasher with stainless eventually.

I walked around the kitchen and I feel the island would work well for us. there is plenty of space all around it. With the hardwood floors I would worry about removing it at all.

I don't feel like kitchen is small its 29x13

I'm going to see what I can find for double pendants with a dark oil rubbed bronze finish

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio