Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mboston_gw

How to identify carving?

mboston_gw
12 years ago

I don't know where to start but today I saw an eagle carving or sculpture at Goodwill. The thing is that I don't know if it is of any real value but it was really gorgeous to me. It was pretty heavy, don't know if it was all wood or what. It was labeled

Eagle's Wings and was numbered 2???/4000. It was mounted on a wooden base and the bottom had green felt material but an area was left uncovered and the piece was signed but I couldn't make out the signature. I wish I had taken a picture of it but my phone was dead and to be honest, I never thought to do so anyways.

I tried googling different word combinations like signed and numbered Eagle's Wings carving on wooden base but never

found anything similiar. Guess I am asking how can I find it on line so that I can get an idea if its worth the $35 they are asking for it. I know you will probably say if you like it, buy it, but I'm always leary of stuff like that at

Goodwill, at least our Goodwill.

Comments (13)

• User
    12 years ago

You are right. That's just what I was going to say. I'm not sure how you could find it if you don't know who carved it other than doing image searches using various phrases with wooden carved Eagle on wood base. Maybe adding numbered carving and "Eagles Wings" in the mix too. You might want to go back with your camera and take some close ups to see if enlarged you can read any artists name on it too.

• les917
    12 years ago

If it were $350, I would say do some investigating. But for $35, which is what you might spend on a meal out that will be literally flushed away the next day,I would just go for it. What matters most is that it gives you pleasure and has value to YOU.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

If you go back and take a photo, you can use it to search google images and see if you get any hits. Take the pic with a plain background so the eagle is really featured.

• lynxe
    12 years ago

"it was really gorgeous to me.

[...]

$35 they are asking for it. I know you will probably say if you like it, buy it,"

Seems to me you already know what your next step should be. :)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

"The thing is that I don't know if it is of any real value but it was really gorgeous to me. "

Then it DOES have real value... to YOU!

• erinsean
    12 years ago

I collect wooden carved things...people, animals, birds. I never think of the value...just do I like them and do I have a place for them in my home. $35.00 sounds very reasonable...even an unsigned piece. Some of my collection have appreciated but most of them were just something I loved and still love.

• yayagal
    12 years ago

If it's signed it's genuine wood and hand carved. You should have grabbed it, it may be gone when you go back. A carving that size would cost at least 200 to 400 and if a listed carver it would be more.

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, too late! I went back today and it was gone, of course. I don't think it was all wood - that is what threw me - but it wasn't ceramic for sure. What else could it have been? The colors were soft and muted on the eagle. I remember seeing similiar things out west when we were in the national parks. This one was 12"wide by about 12" tall. What seemed strange was that the wooden base was much smaller than what I thought the base should have been - made it look unbalanced. It was on the top shelf of the display along with the plastic kitchen ware stuff. When I reached for it, I had to lift it with both hands. The eagle had its wings spread and head slightly turned to the side.

I know I should have taken it - I seldom have seen anything out of the normal everyday dishes, pots, pans there in the housewares area. I think someone put it there in a crowded area where it could be overlooked. Usually their better items are in a showcase area along with the jewerly.

Oh well, lesson learned. I think I will be checking our local Craigslist to see if something like it shows up in the next few weeks. You never know.

• User
    12 years ago

Well pooh. I guess that means it wasn't meant to be yours.
    I'm wondering if it might have been resin since you're not sure it was all wood.

• emagineer
    12 years ago

I live in a town that has a known sculpture. He shut down the local foundry and now has his works produced overseas. They are still numbered and considered collectible. But as said above, are resin. My hobby in arts and two collectible interests went away when so much was produced overseas and the art became calendars. I understand the artists can make far more money doing this, but they no longer seem unique and my interest fades.

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Justgotabeme - I think you may be right - I couldn't think of the name of it. I hope whoever bought it, enjoys it.
    (sigh).

• User
    12 years ago

Yep, so many things that once were wood or ceramic are now resin. I used to collect ceramic angels, but once the last one I ordered arrived in resin I stopped ordering them.
    I'm with emagineer in thinking their not worth it anymore. And don't even get me on things made in china.
    I would imagine you'll someday fine an eagle that you'll love even more than the one you missed since there are many collectors of eagles. My son did when he was a teen. I have a few myself. None wooden though.

• shanmarsh99
    12 years ago

You might consider the hot pin test. You would want to find a place where the mark from the pin will not show.
    If plastic it will melt. You are going to get lots of comments from people here about why not to this but it is a pretty true test.