Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lulusong_gw

Need Help Styling Built-In for Playroom

lulusong
9 years ago

We have a long built in in our playroom/living room. I need help styling it! I was thinking of putting two lamps on it and adding some trays or baskets on top.

First the lamps. Do you think two lamps--one on each side--is the way to go?

Would you do wide lamps to mirror the width of the built in? Or is tall and skinny the way to go?

Would you go tall to fill up some wall space? Or would you stay short to make the lamp feel proportional built in? I'm stymied by all the possibilities.

For context, the built in is 8 feet long. The ceiling is 9 feet tall, or a little less than 1/3 the ceiling height.

Please, any inspiration photos would be appreciated. I'm so used to seeing styled buffets and consoles. But this this thing is so long that I don't have any precedent for decorating it. TIA.

Comments (10)

• lulusong
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops, I mean the built in is about 3 feet tall.

This lamp is fun and colorful, but may be too short at 29 inches. http://www.crateandbarrel.com/boka-persimmon-table-lamp/s195758 Plus, I wonder if the short/squat shape is no good for this room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boka Lamp

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd be leery about putting lamps in a children's play room. Anything electrical or glass you don't want young children to have access to for pulling over on top of themselves.

Why not get some book ends and put books on it? Maybe hang a large child's map of the world on the wall behind it, or posters of animals, musical instrumentsâ¦.whatever.

I'd keep lighting high up, though.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

Can you install cabinets above it? I think cabinets would be very practical.

Otherwise I love PPs suggestion of books, bookends, and then a large poster. Or maybe a large chalkboard for you to use, for if you want to write up a schedule, or notes, or keep track of punishments ;-)

I agree, lamps will just get knocked down or damaged. Unless you need them for reading or something, I wouldn't choose lamps. Our playroom is tiny, it's just a bedroom that we made into a playroom w/the computer "office" in half the closet. We installed Billy shelving from Ikea for storage. It's probably not decorating-forum-worthy, but our house is so small we nearly always go with function over form LOL!

I looked on Google, though, lots of ideas and photos for similar set-ups as yours

Here is a link that might be useful: playroom built-ins

• peony4
    9 years ago

My kids always had lamps on their nightstands in their bedrooms, even as preschoolers. The lamp bases were wood. They may have been knocked over once or twice, but nothing life threatening. No more than a crayon that could be swallowed or the corner of that little table that could cause a nasty bruise.

If you need the lighting, I say go for lamps, but be reasonable about the weight and material.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

How old are your children? If they are toddlers who will play in the room with loose supervision (you sticking your head in every few minutes) I would wait on lamps. When you do get lamps you can use clear museum putty to anchor them down on the painted surface. But if the room is well lit you shouldn't need lamps on a surface like this.

I think kids spaces are areas where function always trumps form. Instead of "styling" this cabinet, why not change contents of the the top weekly to reflect your child's changing interests? Or you could use this prime kiddie real estate for new toys, or his/her favorite toys. Whatever you do, it should be arranged, designed or "styled" to appeal to kids, not adults. It looks like it will hold lots of toys and books :-)

• camlan
    9 years ago

I agree with PPs. I'd style the wall above the built-in, but keep the top of it pretty clear. A large world map, a colorful quilt, alphabet pictures, there's lots of choices.

Depending on the age/height of your kids, the top could house a doll house, or be a race track or be used for elaborate Lego constructions.

Because this is at one end of your living room, maybe having an alternative look for when you are entertaining adults might help. A large piece of fabric that covers the top and front of the built-in, held in place by lamps or books or bowls full of flowers or candles or a bar set-up or a buffet line if you are serving dinner. It wouldn't have to be expensive--a solid colored flat sheet in one of the colors from the rug could be cut to fit.

If you went with a large map on the wall, you could pretty much cover/hide most of the toys and turn the room back into an adult space with little effort.

• theclose
    9 years ago

I agree with the no lamps unless necessary. I have two little ones and while they have never knocked over lamps, I don't have any within reach in the playroom. We rely on natural light and then a floor lamp placed behind the couch that isn't easily accessible.

I would do as Tib suggested and put pretty bookends and books on top, or random toys or big ones that don't fit in the cubbies. Love the map idea over the storage. Then I would get attractive baskets for some or all of the cubbies. Then even if they aren't filled, everything looks uniform. I like uniform. : )

Serena & Lily has nice baskets (I have some in my daughter's room) and they are having a 20% off sale in a few days. Land of Nod is also running 15% off bins and baskets right now. Pottery Barn Kids has some cute ones and you can find a coupon every once in a while. Bins and baskets in general aren't cheap but I love the look and function of them. Just make sure and measure your shelves before ordering.

• lulusong
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for the ideas! I just brought down a painting from the attic that I'm going to hang. I'll post pics later.

Peony4, Love the idea of museum putty holding down a lamp! My kids are really short, as am I. Kswl, they are under 3. So I don't worry about them pulling things down. Plus, the room is open to the kitchen/eating area. So I"ll have an eye on them all the time.

Melle, thanks for the links.

I will def go for some books and other play things. But I do really want to get some lamps. The house has lots of recessed lighting, and I think we need some lamps!

Any thoughts on whether I should buy a pair, or just do one? Height? Width? Shape? I'm pretty sure tall and skinny would look weird. I'm guessing maybe something that will take up 1/3 of the wall height and wide?

• ArlingtonVAremodel
    9 years ago

How old are your kids? Boys or girls? My 6 1/2 year old boy uses our family room console table (31 inches high) for Lego building and display (I didn't intend it that way, but it seems to work fine). If we had a built in like yours, I bet he would love to have all of his mini-figures lined up on top, or something like that. So I guess that's a vote for leaving a pretty much open surface and letting the kids make of it what they will with their imagination.

• Jules
    9 years ago

I would add three rows of open shelving above the cabinet and display rotating kids' artwork, books and toys.

A world globe is always a fun and useful addition to a playroom.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH