Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafy02

Inspiration Photos, Please?

leafy02
11 years ago

I'm preparing myself to tackle the problem of the too-brown living room: ditching the previous owner's tan wall color, and getting new slipcovers for my slip-covered in brown armchairs.

My brown couches have to stay.

I would love any inspiration photos of rooms that manage to be light and colorful with brown couches!

Comments (11)

• bbstx
    11 years ago

Maria Killam addressed this issue in both her blog and her newsletter with different pictures in each.

Brown Sofa blog post

Here is a link that might be useful: Brown Sofa newsletter

• leafy02
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Am I missing something bbstx? The blog link takes me to a post where she says she talks @ it in the newsletter, but there isn't any way to access the newsletter from the site? that link is not working for me....

• bbstx
    11 years ago

The link with "blog" in it is just for the picture.

Does the newsletter link that I posted not work? I subscribe so maybe I can see it, but not link it. Sorry. The "newsletter" link has some pictures too. I didn't get that much out of it, except to use lots of creams and whites.

• leafy02
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for clarifying--I couldn't access the newsletter, but I am planning on cream colored walls, so that's good to know.

• Delilah66
    11 years ago

Not cream walls but a soft caramel/goldish color

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Don't have pics, but you could also do a "color, color!" on the walls and repeat that hue with your pillows, rugs, etc.

Blue walls/brown sofa, Aqua walls/brown sofa, orange, pink or red walls/brown sofa...gosh, I can't think of anything that wouldn't work...except more brown or beige of course, which you want to get away from. I'm not Maria the color consultant, but that's my take on it, fwiw.

What looks great in the lighting your sofas are in? Play around with different shades in the room and see what grabs you. Have fun, and go for it!

• mom2sethc
    11 years ago

Hello,

I have used yellow and red to accent my brown couches. I have added some red pillows since these pics were taken. My walls are SW White Raisin. My shades are in the same fabric that you see on the pillow that is on the red chair. This fabric brings a lot of color into my space.

• bestyears
    11 years ago

What do you think of this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Brown couch, light living room

• leafy02
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all.

Java, is that your coffee table? Don't let me find out where you live--I love it! I can see from the light coming into your room that you have much larger windows--my walls are not much darker than that right now (if at all) but due to the smallness of the windows the room is a batcave even with four lamps and the foyer light on--I need to go lighter on the wall color.

Stinky--I thought about using a color color but I know how quickly I grow tired of it. Especially on the stair wall which spans both floors--it seems like a shame to have such an expanse of "nothing". But...it is a hard wall to paint and I am afraid I'll get sick of looking at a lot of color on it, too.

I have a seriously orange/red kitchen which I continue to love, but all the other rooms I have ever used real color on I have been tired of in a couple of years--now that I am too tired/lazy to paint it all myself, I can't risk it.

Mom2sethc--thank you. I love the blue on the bottom of the boat on your mantel and the lighthouse print. I am hoping to get my chairs slipcovered in something blue or with a lot of blue in it, or else with something cherry red. My rug has very thin stripes of red, blue, green, brown (!) and gold, so I think I can use any of those without having to have a new rug--although I am not necessarily saying "no" to a new rug, either.

Anyone else?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Here's a picture of my family room....actually part of the great room with kitchen and breakfast nook. Sofa looks browner in person than in picture with flash.

• Claire Buoyant
    11 years ago

Javachik, I am swooning over your accent table between the chairs. Were these a recent purchase? Where might I find them/manufacturer?