Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

Mirrors are hung & a few questions

Holly- Kay
9 years ago

First I apologize for all the times I have posted about my bedroom refresh but I do value GW opinions.

DH hung my Felicie mirrors for me on Sunday. They are a very nice quality for the little that I paid for them but they are more trendy than I thought they would be. They will be acceptable placeholders until I find a mate for my DM mirror.

I have always propped my pillows and shams against the headboard but thought I would try them stacked. What I don't like about the stacked look is the underside of the shams show. WWYD, keep them stacked or go back to propping them?

I love Marchessa Palatial Garden and also Jasper Conran Chinoiserie plates. I want to use plates or a single tole tray behind the headboard instead of art. I have Marchessa accent plates and the soft blue and rich brown looks great with the Madeline quilt so that is probably what I will use. The question is, how to arrange them. Three straight across or three with the center plated hung higher than the side plates?

I ordered my Kells lamps but they won't be here until mid July so I am stuck with my house of horrors lamp for a bit longer.

Comments (27)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

They look great!!

IMO, shams are best front facing.

• anitamo
    9 years ago

The mirrors look beautiful! I think the plates would look nice three across...top of the plates even with top of posts. But you can always cut out paper the size of the plates and tape them to the wall for different placement ideas.

I like plopped up pillows myself, but if you go with the stacked look, maybe add a decorative pillow plopped up in front.

• louislinus
    9 years ago

Love the mirrors. I would do 5 plates and randomize them instead of having them in a line. I like my shams propped.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Love the mirrors, they are just the right size! But be prepared, there is nothing so permanent as a " temporary" solution that really works and looks great. :-). More than once I have made a quick fix that ended up staying. You may find yourself looking for another place for that beautiful wood framed mirror.

The thing about hanging multiples of anything is that it's difficult to hold them up all at one time. Why don't you get some brown craft paper (or paper bags), trace the plates, cut them out and tape the shapes in different arrangements to see which is more pleasing. Definitely agree that using 3 or 5 items is best, and looking forward to seeing the finished product. Your bedroom is very appealing, serene and personal and not overly "done." Great job already!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I am glad to have my thoughts about propping my shams be affirmed. I was trying to get used to something that just didn't look right to me.

Thank you for your kind words KSWL. My bedroom is my oasis and I love it even though it is quite small. I appreciate the suggestion of using craft paper cut outs to get a feel for placement, that will give me a better feel for the right arrangement.

Louislinus, I will try the random look. I have six of the plates so I can see what it would look like with five instead of three. The ones that I have are my favorite breakfast plates so I will order new ones for my wall.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

KSWL, forgot to add, you are right about temporary fixes. My mismatched mirrors were supposed to be very temporary but became a decade plus place holder.

• rdbrya2
    9 years ago

I definitely like the shams better propped up. I don't think they look right stacked like that. BEAUTIFUL plate!!

• Laurie
    9 years ago

Your new mirrors look fantastic!!
    Agree with others that suggested (taping to the wall) paper mock ups of plates and/or tray over the headboard to see what looks more pleasing to you.
    You have a beautiful bed. The detail on the headboard is really nice : )

• Olychick
    9 years ago

What a gorgeous bed! The mirrors do look wonderful with it, but I kind of want to see them a little lower and closer in. I honestly don't think (as beautiful as they are) that adding plates above that bed is going to do it any favors. It is so perfect on its own, that I would worry that the plates will detract from that to-die-for headboard. So I hope you'll do mock ups and see what you think before committing nails to the wall.

And I agree about unstacking the pillows. The look very odd to me stacked.

lower mirrors:

[Contemporary Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2103) by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators Melanie Stewart Interior Design

[Traditional Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2107) by Torrance Interior Designers & Decorators Norman Design Group, Inc.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Love, love, love your bed!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

MO: I wouldn't hang the plates over the bed. Your headboard is very ornate, as are the mirrors, and so I think you've got plenty going on there as it is and the plates will make it look cluttered.

I also think plates might look odd and out of place in a bedroom.

I think that wall looks perfect as you have it now. I wouldn't add a thing.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the comments everyone.

This morning when I made my bed I went back to my traditional way of propping my shams and they look so much nicer that way. I will probably add a third pillow. The Madeline quilt has a Euro pillow in the blue stripe material but I am thinking of using a bolster type pillow in a creamy white.

Olychick, we actually hung them lower at first but when I stood back I thought they were too low. DH grumbled about making more holes in the walls but I said since we were hanging them higher the additional holes would be hidden by the mirrors. I am not sure if I can lower them now because the other holes may show. I love your examples and agree that the mirrors might look better lower. I may repaint the bedroom at some point this year and that would be the perfect time to lower the mirrors.

Thanks Annie, I love it too. When I saw it I knew that was going to be my bed but the wait was ungodly long for it.

• katrina_ellen
    9 years ago

Another comment loving your bed. I would not hang anything over that beautiful headboard either. I really like the mirrors as well. Nice bedroom!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibb, I am going to play around with my paint program tonight. You may be right in regards to not hanging anything behind the bed. I don't know why but I have always felt that the room seems unfinished because there is nothing over the bed. So by playing around with the paint program I can get a feel for what it would look like. I also know what you mean by plates being incongruous in a bedroom but I have never met a pretty plate that I haven't wanted to display. I am a china-holic. I am such a sucker for a beautiful piece of china.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I'm in agreement with olychick. I think the mirrors are too high (but gorgeous!) and I wouldn't want anything else on that wall. The mirrors, headboard, and lamps (soon) will be plenty :)

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

I wouldn't hang anything over the bed - the headboard is a "work of art".

I would not have been able to put my finger on the fact that the mirrors were too high until I looked at the pictures Olychick posted. I learn so much here!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

You know what might work? Try hanging one plate centered UNDER each mirror. That would help tie the mirrors to the side tables and would read as one vignette, not detracting from the headboard.

BTW, I don't remember what your forever lamps look like and I'm too lazy to go find that post. So, I'm not taking the look of your forever lamps into account with my suggestion.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fun that is actually a great Idea. I am going to play around with my paint program this evening.

Here is a pic of the lamps I ordered.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think the height of the mirrors is perfect. IMO, if the mirrors were lower, it'd be awkward because they'd reflect your waist, which is counter-intuitive, i.e.: versus your face.

Plus, once you get the new lamps, having some of the mirror above the shade will allow the light to reflect off the mirror beautifully.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Thanks for re-posting the picture of the lamps. Since they are clear, I think my idea might work. At the very least, it's worth a try.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really like the idea Fun. I am so anxious for them to arrive but it's going to be a long wait.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just went back and held the plate up under the mirror and your suggestion was brilliant! It helps to ground and give a longer appearance to the mirror, and adds a pretty element to the room! Thanks so much Fun! I am probably going to scoot the lamps in towards the edge of the bed so they are easier to turn off when I am ready to sleep, but once the lamps are here I will repost to see what you all think.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Ooh ooh I love that Pine Cone Hill bedding. The colors are so pretty.

I will be the outlier on the sham placement question. IMHO the problem is not the shams, it is the pillows underneath. The look messy and offcolor. I know some will not like this comment, but I think propping up pillows, especially a lot of them, looks like my parent's bed, IYKWIM. I'm kind of tired of that, eps when you have a lovely headboard to show off.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Yay, Holly-Kay, I can't wait to see pictures!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mtn, you are spot on with the comment about the pillows being off color. They are a rather dark taupe. I use them when I am reading in bed and then I use my sleeping pillows when I am finished reading. During the day my sleeping pillows are on a chair. I have a feeling that I am way closer to your parents age than yours so I definitely KWYM about propping my pillows. I tried the stacked look but I just think it looks off. I also want to send a big thank you for posting the Madeline quilt. I saw that quilt and loved it before I got serious about my refresh but forgot about it. When you posted it I knew it was the one!

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

Your bedroom is looking beautiful.
    I'm in the camp that says your mirrors are a bit too high and too far to the side of your posts.
    Instead of craft paper to mock up your plates, try putting your plate on a copier, then tape the copies on he wall.
    Gorgeous plates btw.
    Taping up pics of the plates may give you a good idea of whether the plates look good or odd in the bedroom. I have one of the Mottaheda tobacco leaf charger plates that I've set on a plate stand on top of my lingerie chest in my bedroom and have never thought it out of place.
    I too think your headboard is sufficient without art above it. OTH I have a big 4 poster and have always had something above /behind the headboard.
    In the 80's I covered the whole wall of my bedroom behind the bed in a Mario Buatta chintz, covering a small inconvenient window in the process. In a different house in 2000's I hung a big impressionist oil of flowers over my bed.
    In the house we're building I'm committed to artwork over the bed because I put a recessed outlet there for a light.
    It's such a personal thing, but if you want something over your bed your wall can handle it. If not, it's very nice as is.

PS, I'm probably in the middle age between you and mtnrdredux and I'm in the "reduce the # of pillows" on the bed camp, but def prop the shams, not stack.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Marji, I am so glad to have three days off even though day one will be our annual Memorial Weekend party. That leaves two days to play around with my room.

The mirrors are centered over the bachelor chests. Do you think it would look odd to not have them centered in order to bring them closer to the posts? I centered the mirrors and planned on off setting the lamps to have them closer to the bed.

I went to Michaels today to get plate holders to replace ones that are looking a bit worn in our guest bath. While I was there I purchased two easels to see if the plates will look as good below the mirrors as I think they will. That way I don't have to put holes in the wall until I am sure that it is the look I am going for.

Great suggestion re copying the plates. That is definitely a way to get a clearer idea of how the look would work in my room.