Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tfitz1006_gw

Help with curb appeal on a house raising

tfitz1006
9 years ago

This house will be raised ten feet. We will also add an elevator for our elderly Mom. We'd like to improve the front in terms of curb appeal. The cat eye features were added when the second floor was dormered up and they just look odd to me. Trying to figure out an attractive front stair approach, perhaps one which has a landing and turn BC we probably can't come straight in. One garage below and we were thinking perhaps a recessed door/entry, something which breaks up the box effect we have now. May be able to run a shallow porch/balcony across the front. Any thoughts? We keep driving around the area to get ideas but everything is new construction and not very relatable to this house. Thank you!

Comments (7)

• tfitz1006
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry here is the pic

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Here's the pic

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Sorry, I posted the pic as it showed up broken when I first saw it.

You might post this in building a house forum as there are architects there who may be able to give you more ideas as this goes beyond 'decor'. It really has to do with massing as well as structural changes that may be needed to raise the house.

• Jamie
    9 years ago

Hi, I'm a little unclear.

Are you going to lift the house from the bottom? Where will the basement garage entry door be -- in the back? Is it in the back now? Will there be windows in the front on the what will be the new ground/basememt floor?

If not, have you considered building up the surrounding ground a little so that it consumes some of the new "rise" in a natural-looking way?

Or could you have the front entry lead to the "new" first floor instead of the "old" first floor?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I happened to be looking at this site to answer someone else's question and thought of you....these guys have a "coastal" collection which includes homes that are raised. Perhaps this will give you some ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coastal collection

• tfitz1006
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie: terrific site, thank you, and I will also post on that other forum.

Jamie: house is being lifted. Driveway is to the right of the house, along with an existing detached garage. Backyard is rather small. The new first floor will feature a masonry foundation with up to two garages or a combination of one garage door, one ground floor entry door, and possibly exterior stairs leading to the first floor (which will be up 10 feet). The new ground floor has to be enclosed (as opposed to on pilings) at least in the area of the elevator because it has to be protected from the elements. Our decisions now are: where do the stairs go (in the front or on the side) and where does the elevator go (in the small back yard area or on the side). We have rather strict setback requirements although they will make an allowance because we already had a front staircase. Hope I've been clear!

• ashef
    9 years ago

Have you thought about having the main entry on the new first floor open into a foyer with inside steps to the rest of the house? You could put the elevator in that foyer, too.

As for the elevator, put it near the driveway so that a disabled person has as little distance as possible to travel from the elevator to a car.

I suggest you look at beach houses & house plans for front stairs inspiration.

Allie