Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
opphop

Please vote on stair runner

opphop
9 years ago

What do you think?

A) Floral/oriental runner on the stairs & upper hallway and use a very muted wallpaper or

B) Muted wool runner and an elegant damask wallpaper

Any experience with wool on stairway?

Comments (14)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think I'd look for a runner with a tribal pattern, which would look great, I think, with your arts&crafts style home, i.e.: the window, wood trim, etc.

• theclose
    9 years ago

I vote for muted wool runner and fab wallpaper, but only because that's what I love and want. : ) I did a wool sisal look-alike wool runner in anticipation of a statement wallpaper. Current wallpaper is from previous owner. We've only been here one year but so far so good on the runner. Love the way it feels underfoot. Here's a pic.

• flymom65
    9 years ago

Another vote for a muted runner and damask wallpaper. You can never go wrong with damask!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

The details of your home don't seem very formal to fit with an elegant damask wallpaper. Additionally, a good damask wallpaper, often has a huge pattern repeat. In a foyer with two story walls, you're going to go through rolls of wallpaper like water through a colander.

I'd like to suggest you consider doing a stair runner in an Arts & Crafts style pattern in wool. These patterns should be very complementary to the details and wood of your staircase & wall paneling. If you have a good carpet installer, you can simply purchase runners that are 9-12 ft. in length, and have the installer cut and match the runners so it appears to be on continuous runner.

Then if paint isn't enough, you can do a muted textured wallcovering to coordinate.

• joeymc96
    9 years ago

I vote for muted runner and patterned wallpaper. Carpet with a busy pattern generally reminds me of a hotel. However, I love a muted pattern or sculpture.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I've had a wool runner on a stairway; it handled wear better than the manmade stuff I have now. Usually the first two and the last two stairs are the first to go.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I went with a print on our stairs and solid walls. While both would look nice, the damask is definitely a very formal look, a traditional look.

• roarah
    9 years ago

What a lovely hallway! I love all the details!

I opted to use what was closest to what was available in the year my house was built and in the economic class budget of its orginal owners which was most likely a wool oriental patterned runner . I also like the look of a plain wool tan rug but I was trying to be true to the era of my home(1920s).

After we added the runners I did decide to use plain sisal runners in the entrance because they work better at containing the mess and damage caused by young children:) but I hope to use a nice tribal runner there down the line.

I have plain painted walls along the stairs and upstairs' hall walls but I stenciled a small tone on tone print in the entrance which I think might look better with the plain sisal than oriental though.

My hall is not as current as others but I was actually going for a Grandma's house feel:).

This post was edited by roarah on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 10:13

• opphop
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Roarah,
    What did you use for your upstairs hallway?

• roarah
    9 years ago

Harmony, I am not home and have no pics of the upstairs hall at present in my phone but i will take a picture tonight for you if you like. I actually used the same pattern runner but instead of the cream colorway it has the red as the dominant color.

• roarah
    9 years ago

Here is a not so great pic of my hall runner.

This post was edited by roarah on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 20:34

• opphop
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Roarah, your hall photo didn't come through. Can you re-post it? What is the name and manufacturer?

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

i vote neutral wool. i have it through my house and on two stair ways as runners. it's tasteful.

eta it holds up very well. and my house is high traffic. dh is a construction worker and i have a 4 year old.

This post was edited by elizabeth714 on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 15:33

• roarah
    9 years ago

Harmony, I think I fixed the picture. I put these in about 7 years ago and I purchaced from Karastan's in Guilford, ct. I will look for the invoice but I can not remember the style name. Sorry.