Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms222_gw

How do I complete my Living Room?

ms222
9 years ago

I feel like I need some type of seating/sofa of some sort in my living room next to the windows, and would also consider getting rid of the bar in the corner. How do I finish up this room appropriately?

The pictures are all the same room, and the door is the front door.

Comments (18)

• sloyder
    9 years ago

Looks like you need some plants, and curtains.

This post was edited by sloyd on Tue, May 13, 14 at 22:16

• jadie88
    9 years ago

There are many smarter folks than me on here, but to start out, I would put the chair set in front of the windows and put whatever sofa you get on the wall side of the room. The chairs wouldn't block that lovely wall of windows like a sofa would.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

lots of good ideas in the old threads posing the same question.

Here is a link that might be useful: Former thread

• Olychick
    9 years ago

one more with more good ideas

Here is a link that might be useful: old post

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Just so folks don't spend their time making suggestions that have already been made:

Here's another old post with some great ideas

Here is a link that might be useful: old post

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Just to keep all the ideas in one thread, here is another with some great ideas

Here is a link that might be useful: old post #4

• ttodd
    9 years ago

I like your style! I second the opinion of putting the chairs in front of the window and a sofa against the wall. Personally I find it easier to close window treatments w/o a sofa in front.

Can you move the bar to the other side of the room? It's such a pretty piece and I think that it lends itself well to the room.

How about a larger area rug? I like what you have now but it's too small. Even a modern design can be warmed up w/ a rug.

I think that you have great pieces and a good start!

This post was edited by TheFoxesPad on Wed, May 14, 14 at 5:31

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oly,

Both of those links are by the same person posting this thread, AND the same room. One is from 2012 and one is from 2013. Now he/she's back asking the same question again in 2014????

Something strange here.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I imagine OP is still looking for suggestions that suit her, but since so many have already been made, I thought it would be helpful if everything was in one place, so people don't spin their wheels making the exact same suggestions that have been made before. New members might have new suggestions!

• katrina_ellen
    9 years ago

I would start off with your needs first. With only two chairs for seating, do you need a sofa? I see you are going for a very minimal look, so I would buy just what is needed and go from there.

• ms222
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey all, sorry I have written a post every year on this and I just haven't gotten it to my liking yet and appreciate everyone's suggestions. I switched my setup from the original picture and now can be more specific on the advice I need. Based on the picture below, when you enter the home the foyer wall is huge and the lighting sconces are spaced out a lot (I am not moving the sconces).

The wall is 134" long and the distance between the sconces are about 118" long. I was going to put an entryway table on the wall, but the one I like is only 48" wide. Others that are closer to 60" wide are out of my price range. I am going to put a few circular mirrors above the console table.

Can anyone recommend how I can set up that wall so that it doesn't appear too weird with a shorter console table? I guess I could put a plan on one side and a standing vase on the other, or maybe two vases? I'm not sure looking for suggestions. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Console Table

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Buy two!

Put them together, so that they act as one surface. Accessorize with something substantial on the left, away from the entrance, so that it doesn't feel heavy when you walk in the door.

I would recommend a sculptural plant, too. I've kept a Lowe's orchid alive and blooming since Mother's Day, a first for me! Looks like the perfect spot for one.

• ms222
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When you say something substantial on the left do you mean on the same wall as the entry table on the further side of the entry table from the door? Also a structural plant is a good idea where would you place it?

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Yes. If you put two together, the one closest to the door would be more spare...like a tray for your things or a small plant. For the one on the left, I would place an oversized accessory (vase, mirror, art, sculpture, plant). Then, I'd look for something cool to go with it to make a triad. Now, I could TELL you what to put there but that's no fun for you! It's ok that you build it as you come across things you like.
    For your room, I would probably do something asymmetrical but spare. Honestly, an awesome piece of driftwood with a vertical element would be so cool. My mom has the perfect piece but she won't even give it up for me, lol! I love your dog, but the rooms is calling out for something else organic :)

Great architectural plants include the zillion species of orchids (there are some big ones if that appeals to you), stag horn ferns, sansevieria, pony-tail palm, the euphorbias, the philodendrons, ming aralia, etc.

• prairiegirlz5
    9 years ago

Personally I liked the painting facing the front door. On the wall with the sconces and the bench underneath. I agree with previous advice that you need a couch on that 1 short wall facing the windows. The color and style of the couch will help you decide on accessories like pillows, throws, curtains, plants to warm up the space & give it character. I think what is lacking is a glimpse of personality.

• prairiegirlz5
    9 years ago

Personally I liked the painting facing the front door. On the wall with the sconces and the bench underneath. I agree with previous advice that you need a couch on that 1 short wall facing the windows. The color and style of the couch will help you decide on accessories like pillows, throws, curtains, plants to warm up the space & give it character. I think what is lacking is a glimpse of personality.

• prairiegirlz5
    9 years ago

• prairiegirlz5
    9 years ago