Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloenkitty_gw

Dining room question please

chloenkitty
9 years ago

Hello everyone :) our dining room is 12x12.5. I wish it was a little bigger, but honestly, we will only use it on holidays. I want to purchase the Restoration Hardware salvaged wood trestle table. With the room being 12x12.5, should I get the table that is 60" long and extends to 84" with 2 extension pieces, or the table that is 72" and extends to 102" with 2 extension pieces?

That then leads to the size of the light I should get. The light comes in 38.25" long or 49.25" long.

The only other piece of furniture I think I will have in the dining room is a sidebar/buffet (whichever is your pleasure to call it) lol

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

Comments (29)

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the table

This post was edited by chloenkitty on Mon, May 5, 14 at 21:10

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the light

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I think if you opened the larger one up you would not have enough room for chairs. Id get the smaller but leave the leaves in .

Actually, id get a round table. I love round tables but to me they only look good in a square room, which you pretty ,much have

my 2cents

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Round tables are nice, but I feel like you can't "squeeze" as many people in when you have to like with a rectangle. You can always squeeze the kids into the corners. It also makes me feel like all the furniture is concentrated in the middle of the room and doesn't leave room on the side for a buffet. The two end walls don't allow furniture as one has a large window and the other is open mostly to the hall leading to the kitchen.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

The bigger table is too big, as is the bigger light fixture for the room....unless you are willing to have it open beyond the room into the hallway for big gatherings. How many do you need to accommodate? I roughly figure 2' per person along the edge of the table.

I agree that a round table that becomes oval with leaves added fits best in a square room, and the rounded edges allow for more seating around the curved edge than the pointy corners of a rectangular table...

• jjam
    9 years ago

I'd go round in there as well. It's worth sacrificing a buffet IMO.

Our favorite place to sit is outdoors at our round table, even though we have a couple of other rectangular/oval tables that are lovely. I think it creates the best environment for conversation and a warm, inviting atmosphere.

I also have rectangular rooms, so the round table doesn't fit in our indoor spaces. If I had a square shape to work with indoors I'd have another round table in a heartbeat.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

48" Table: 48" diam., 30"H
    60" Table: 60" diam., 30"H
    72" Table: 72" diam., 30"H

Those are the dimensions for the round table and attached is the pic. I don't know, I just can't pic a round table for some reason. I obviously cannot have a huge table, so how many would fit around the round? I'm assuming I'd only be able to get the 60 or 72". I will attach a pic of the chairs. I have not purchased them yet, but it's what I'm looking at.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Side Chair: seat, 20"H; 20"W x 25"D x 39"H overall; 33 lbs.
    Armchair: seat, 19"H; arm, 21ý"H; 25"W x 28"D x 39"H

Here are the chair dimensions. The armchair would not be an issue if I got a round table, of course. There is also a similar chair with more of a straight back.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Side Chair: seat, 20"H; 20"W x 25"D x 39"H overall; 33 lbs.
    Armchair: seat, 19"H; arm, 21ý"H; 25"W x 28"D x 39"H

Here are the chair dimensions. The armchair would not be an issue if I got a round table, of course. There is also a similar chair with more of a straight back.

{{!gwi}}

• peony4
    9 years ago

Chloe, is the room empty now (or could it be)? If so, and you need to visualize the round size in your room, then perhaps go to a local party supply store and buy a plastic, round tablecloth that you can size down to the 72-inch diameter, and then the 60-inch, if needed. Placed on the floor, this will give you an idea of how many chairs can fit around, and how it will take up space in your room.

I'm a visual person... this could provide you with context instead of guessing whether you'd like it in terms of dimension with the room.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

How many windows do you have in that room and where are they situated?

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There is one large window on one wall. The wall directly across from the window is open so there's not much wall space, one of the side walls has an opening as well from the hallway. So, there is really only one wall that is completely wall without any openings or windows.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I think your room would be way too crowded if it included a sideboard-type piece in addition to a table and chairs even with a rectangular table.

The circumference of a 72" round table is 226" which will easily accommodate eight of the armless chairs and could fit ten with just a bit of a squeeze. I never buy arm chairs for dining rooms anyway as I think they waste too much space in most dining rooms.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If those round tables don't include leaves, then they probably won't work either as you will need something expandable.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

My last home had a dining room that was 12.5 x 12.5. I had an oblong table with 6 chairs and a sideboard. It was a bit of a squeeze but I loved that dining room. The children were young then and holiday dinners were much smaller in the number of guests. Six was fine back then but now 17 people are likely to be at our home for holidays so we need to avail ourselves of the breakfast area, dining room, and overflow in the library.

I agree that a round table would look great in your square room. The RH table looks too large for your room.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I need to have a buffet, where would I put my nice dishes

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Just wondering if you could design 2 cabinets (either corner or side by side) that would accommodate your dishes. You could have some space that way to put some pieces for display and just pack the rest away. You could actually build wall cabinets, pretty ones and use a glass sofa table as a sideboard because it would not be as wide or cumbersome as a sideboard.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Tue, May 6, 14 at 18:20

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I have room in my kitchen cabinets for both my everyday and one set of special occasion tableware. I am, however, a dish-oholic, so I have additional sets stored in a closet off the entry on purpose-built shelving.

I admit that one of my pet peeves is not having good access when everyone is seated at a dining room table. That may be less of an issue for you. You can always use painter's tape and mark out the dimensions of various floor plans to see what will work for you.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Sometimes you just have to punt and make a new plan.

http://www.houzz.com/built-in-dining-room-cabinets

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry this is an older pic, but here's a pic of dining room in progress awhile ago. Looking in dr from hall.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

The window location is nice for passersby to see your chandelier and pretty room but it does limit your possibilities of built-in cabinets or a mirrored wall so that you could add wall cabinets and make the room appear larger with the use of mirrors. I am sure whatever idea you come up with will be wonderful.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was planning on putting a large decorative mirror on one wall. I really don't want any kind of built ins, though they sound nice, because the study across the hall will have built ins. Don't want built in overkill.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Chloe,

This might help... I did it in planyouroom.com, which is really easy and free.

Here is the smallest RH table, 60x36. You can only seat six.
    The chairs are to scale, at 25x20 approx. You need to be able to pull them out and still walk behind them. If you have a hutch, even as narrow as 18", I dont think you can do that.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Here's a 60 inch round, which seats 10. I threw in corner cabs, but I think they may be unrealistically small.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is crazy! The house is 3,400 sq ft I believe. I can't believe this dining room is a problem. The window juts out a bit, maybe I can put a buffet there, just not a big one. I'll just have to wait for that piece until the table and chairs are in. Good thing the opposite wall is open so I could push the darn table that way if needed during holidays lol. Well, I don't know anyone who doesn't have to squeeze in during holidays. We never even had a dining room growing up, we all sat around the kitchen table, 8 of us sometimes at a kitchen table!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Our architect always showed furniture in the rooms she drew because it makes it easier to see if you can use the room the way you want. It's hard otherwise.

I really suggest planyourroom, it's pretty easy to use. Then you can play around with your options.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm sure it's not a big difference, but the dining room is 12x13, not 12x12.5

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Just out of curiosity, what room/s are adjacent to your DR? Is there a possibility that an opening could be made and with a support beam, you could have an almost wide-open DR which would give you more room and if so could you put your sideboard in the adjacent room providing that is not your bedroom or bathroom. I once lived in a house that would not accommodate all my DR furniture and I put my china cabinet in the adjacent room and it looked fine. In fact, I have an additional sideboard in my great room which I use for a dessert bar. When the meal is completed, everyone adjourns to that room and beverages and dessert are in that room, and those partaking can sit in more comfortable chairs and converse.

• User
    9 years ago

The size of the room is really optimal for 8 people. It would feel extremely cramped and look smaller if you used furniture that is oversized for that room. I would use smaller furniture (54" round table if you can find it) and a thin breakfront or buffet. You can spill out I to other rooms when you are entertaining a larger group.

If it is any consolation, it's very difficult to feel the size of a room from house plans.

This post was edited by kswl on Fri, May 9, 14 at 6:35

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!