Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

Quick opinion needed

Holly- Kay
9 years ago

My master bedroom refresh has started and I will be moving two unmatched mirrors to different locations. A few weeks ago I found a site that had beautiful mirrors but they were over the top expensive.

I found a mirror on Horchow that I like that is very inexpensive. I then also checked Neiman Marcus and found it for less. Is it too contemporary? I think it might be a good fit but I an beginning to second guess.

Here is a link that might be useful: Felicie mirror

Comments (26)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

No way! It's beautiful and goes with your BR nicely. Only concern is that you want lamps with brass bottoms, so not sure if the silver in the mirror would conflict or if you should look for either gold-framed mirrors or nickel-based lamps.

• chloenkitty
    9 years ago

That mirror is gorgeous!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

holly-kay, I'm late to the party of your MB refresh, so I don't know what look you're going for. "Too contemporary" conjured up something in my mind that I thought I wouldn't like. Then I clicked on your link. I would have that mirror (and what a great price!) in a heartbeat and I do not do "too contemporary." I don't know what I would call it besides gorgeous yummy.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I think it is a good buy and something you can use. Incidentally, I believe that is gold beading and crazing along the perimeter, but could be wrong.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Ah, yes, Im mistaken. It is gold colored. Perfect.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Double post

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, May 8, 14 at 21:15

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. With the price being as good as it is if they don't work I could gift them to my daughters. The Neiman Marcus website though advertises free shipping and returns. I really like them and I do think the beading is gold.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just ordered the mirrors and the total with tax for two mirrors was less than $300. I am so anxious to see them in place.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I read your other thread and didn't quite understand placing them behind lamps on the nightstands. Mirrors are basically for looking into, so all I could come up with is it's to reflect light. Is that it? It looks odd to someone like me who doesn't get it! I also wondered why you'd hide your antique mirror behind lamps.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May, for years I have used mirrors over my bedside tables rather than art. The lamps that are on my br chests now were recycled from my lr remodel and are way too tall. The lamps that I am planning on are a bit shorter, the mirrors are a bit taller and wider. The mirrors are being used just for their decorative value, and yes, to add some reflective light to my north facing room.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Thanks for the explanation. I thought you might be using shorter lamps, and with the bigger mirrors, it now makes sense.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

I found this description on Wayfair, and the whole frame is gold. I didn't see that at first when I looked in holly-kay's link. I went back to her link after reading this and zoomed in on the third image of it, where it is much clearer! I did a print screen on the detail.

Features:

Color: Gold
    Material: Glass, MDF and poly
    Heavily antiqued gold leaf beaded edges with golden antiqued, etched mirror details
    Mirrors combine premium quality materials with unique high-style design
    Oval shape
    Dimensions: 28" H x 21" W x 1" D, 17 lbs

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Glad you ordered them. They are really nice and a great deal too!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Those are very pretty, can't wait to see them installed! And thanks for explanation, I too, was curious about having mirrors over nightstands.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I never considered it odd to use a mirror over a bedside table until May asked me about it. When I stopped to ponder this I realized that it would seem odd if you haven't always done it so thought maybe I was more of an oddball than I would admit to. This led me to look on Houzz and sure enough others do the same thing. There are some very beautiful examples there and thought May and Errant would enjoy looking at some examples.

Here is a link that might be useful: effective use of mirrors

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Very pretty. I see that the proportion of lamp to mirror seems to really matter.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes May, proportion really does matter and I will have to play around with the height of the mirror so I can figure how high to hang them. What struck my eye was a few had the mirrors centered with the nightstand but the lamp off to the side so it didn't block the mirror. I like that idea as it allows the reflective light while not blocking the mirror.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I noticed that too, and it did look good on that large chest. But you couldn't reach the lamp while in bed, so they added a wall lamp. Kind of silly! I also like the second one with the large frameless mirror that almost touches the nightstand. It seems the wide, rounded lamp shades are too big in front of a mirror.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May, I thought instead of moving the lamp to the outside edge I would move it to the inside closest to the bed. I did consider using wall lamps instead of on the bedside table but decided not to. I agree that using the wall lamps and bedside lamps is redundant.

When everything comes in I will post again for suggestions on the best placement for the mirrors and lamps.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I like the solid, cylindrical glass base on these. Gives you the crystal look but without the bulk that could be too much on your small nightstands.

[Contemporary Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2103) by Chicago Interior Designers & Decorators Michael Abrams Limited

• kellienoelle
    9 years ago

That mirror is gorgeous! Can't wait to see the bedroom refresh once it is complete.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I second that, kellie!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May, the lamps you posted are very pretty. I clicked on the link to Houzz but couldn't find the lamp manufacturer. My bedside chests are 32 wide and 30.5 tall. I may have to get a more rectangular shade for the kells lamp. I like the shade that is shown on them but the bottom of the shade is quite wide so it's possible that I will have to go to our local lamp shop to find a different shaped shade. I think a rectangular shade like the one shown on the lamps you posted would work well on the lamp that I like.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I like those lamps because the chunky brass gives them the rich look you like, but they won't compete with your ornate headboard and mirrors as much as cut crystal will. That isn't a spacious wall.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Love the mirrors! Now I am looking forward to seeing your moodboard, would like to see everything else you are planning.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May, thank you so much for taking the time to look for alternatives for me. I am very drawn to the Kells particularly because they are simple. I do love the lamps you posted above, they have the same columnar style and metal base that I am drawn to. You are right on target for the vibe I am looking for. The wall isn't spacious, in reality the whole room is small. The wall to the left is actually a privacy wall that creates a small foyer-like area inside the door. I like the way the privacy wall creates a nook for my bed and bachelor chests. I will be posting for more help once the other items are in place.

OB2B, hello! I miss seeing you. How is your project coming along? I love what you are doing with your beautiful room and look forward to seeing the completed areas. So far I have ordered the mirrors and decided on the Madeline quilt from Pine Cone Hill that Mtn posted. I saw that quilt before I started this refresh and loved it then but forgot about it until she posted it for me. I was considering the PB, Matene toile in porcelain blue but ordered the Madeline. The Kells lamps will be ordered shortly but I think May is correct that I may have to swap out the shades for rectangular ones. Drapes have me in a dither though. I love the Lily curtains in Kathy Felder's Isabella collection and the Pom Pom at Home smocked linen drape from NM but I can't use them as they only are available in a 96" length, so drapes are TBD at this point. I am hopeless in getting this mood board together. I have tried olioboard, mood board, and Pixlr with no success.

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator