Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
audmkamp_gw

Exterior house help

audmkamp
9 years ago

I'm in the midst of buying a house & it is pink....ugh.

I don't plan to reside at this point & time as I'm going to spend most of my initial rehab money redoing the kitchen and hardwood floors. I do want to change the exterior color soon after moving in and am looking for some ideas & inspiration to give this place some curb appeal.

The house is 115 years old. Siding is currently painted cement board. Roof is nearly new, so that will be a fixed color. I want the trim to be white to match the new windows already installed.

My first thought for color is a sage green type color, though I'm also considering some type of a more bluish grey, or even brick red. Looking to stay away from typical tans, light grays, etc that are so common. I'd like to add some type of architectural trim possibly too as an accent.

House across the street is light blue, ones on either side are white and dark grey.

Comments (19)

• audmkamp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another side view

• audmkamp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I played around with a home exterior design website & here's kind of what I meant by using trim.

• audmkamp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

While I know the home's style is different, here is one in town I just love, color included.

• audmkamp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Like the detail here too as well as the blue of the main house color, however I don't like the dark blue accents.

Okay, that's all I have to show what I like. Would love to hear/see others' ideas as I'm having trouble visualizing what to do with this place.

• chloenkitty
    9 years ago

Well it's not think pink I expected lol, it's not bright pink. A street away from me there is a purple house. It's awful except it does work at easter lol, only kidding. When new people bought it, I was sure they'd paint it, but they've been there about 5 years now. Good luck, it's a lovely house I'm sure you will make beautiful.

• audmkamp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@chloenkitty You're right, it isn't THAT pink. But still too close for my liking. Purple, you just have to wonder what some people are thinking! With that said the other house across the street from me that has siding that is...bark? Looks like they took whole logs shaved lengths off the outside about 1" thick and nailed it up. Kind of like a log house, but way more hillbilly. :-)

• audmkamp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'd also be interested in advice on what to do with the concrete driveway.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

How exciting! It looks like a very nice older home. I think you could paint it two tone using the colors from the house in town you like the style and colors of. You could start the cable color on the piece of side just above the windows.
    I'm not sure about the driveway. I've seen some around here where they have them coated in a black top like stuff, but I have no clue what the process is or if you'd want a black top driveway in the city.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

You posted some really really good ideas that will work well with your home. I really liked your mockup. If you pressure wash the driveway and sidewalks they will almost look new as far as the color . Use concrete patch on the cracks until you can afford to replace it. With purchasing a home there always seems to be a big too do list.

• audmkamp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input. Nice to hear others say the direction I'm heading in looks like it will work.

• Sms
    9 years ago

Shermin Williams and Benjamin Moore have online apps that let you colorize a pic of your house. It's pretty easy to use.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Here's a pin board of ideas for the concrete driveway -- but yes -- start with a good pressure wash ....

Love the idea of a green house! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- fixing concrete driveways

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I was sitting here trying to cool off before I go back outside again, so I played around with your picture.

{{!gwi}}
    BM Bryant Gold

{{!gwi}}
    BM Grand Canyon

{{!gwi}}
    BM Hawthorne Yellow

{{!gwi}}
    BM Million Dollar Red

{{!gwi}}
    BM Narrangansett Green

{{!gwi}}
    BM Quincy Tan

BM Red Rock

BM Sage

{{!gwi}}
    BM Summerdale Gold

{{!gwi}}
    BM Waters Edge

{{!gwi}}
    MS Tractor Green

{{!gwi}}
    SW Sage Green Light

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Would you have the courage to knock on the door of the green in-town house you like and ask what the color is? Most people are flattered by such an inquiry. I also like the one Marti posted above...the SW Sage Green Light...but the one in town looks to have a little more gray in it....both are very nice.

If power washing doesnt sufficiently clean up the drive, you can always black top it...which looks nice for a long time, hides stains, etc...

• Sms
    9 years ago

Like that sage green but love a red rock most. If you went red then blacktop drive would work well.

You might look into a tar and chip driveway-- pour hot tar and then put a small aggregate gravel on top. typically you put cobble stones along the borders. Not sure what climate you live in so snow removal might be a concern.

A simple detail on the gable(s) in the same color as the trim could up the charm factor/curb appeal. Not sure if the style is right but just to illustrate...

[Traditional Exterior[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-exterior-home-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_736~s_2107) by Evanston Architects & Designers Boyer Architects LLC

This post was edited by zeitgast on Wed, May 7, 14 at 16:32

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I like green for the home, but I think the one you like in town is a bit too dark. I would go with a sage green, but one with a bit more yellow, less black to make your home just a bit more lively. White trim a lot of baskets of pink geraniums and purple Russian sage in the yard and the home could be quite fetching. Looks like you could use a few new trees, maybe some lilac bushes.

As for the driveway, do you want perfect or serviceable? You could keep what you have for the time being, call it a relic from the past, and simply add lots of annuals to the area like hostas & day lilies and distract the eye from the cracks in the drive.

• carree
    9 years ago

Marti8a, love the mock ups on coloring the house. Any chance you could share the name of the tool? Is this on the BM website?

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Thank you carree. It's BHG Picture Painter. I've had it for years and don't know if they even sell it anymore.

• Jules
    9 years ago

Wow, I'm really liking those green shades. The first one beverly posted is stunning!