Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acdesignsky

Chiavari Brass chair score

acdesignsky
10 years ago

I am so not a thrift shopper. I never have any luck. I was cleaning out my home accessory closet today (yes, it's an issue) and decided to try to consign rather than sell several prints myself. Well, while at the store, I saw the cutest little brass chair. Like seemingly everyone else, I am on a a brass kick. It was heavy, shiny, and still wore its original pink sateen cushion. I loved it, but was there to sell, not buy.
Four hours later I am still thinking about that chair. I rush over and it's still there. $90 bucks later I take it home. I decided to research it and find out its a Chiavari chair popular in the 50 and 60's. I'm not sure if I will recover the seat. I have a yard of Brushwig and Fils mohair that could work.
This chairs are pretty expensive online $800+ in some cases. I am assuming my little chair isn't that pricey, but it would be nice if it was!

Comments (13)

• lascatx
    10 years ago

That's cool! I would recover the seat only because that's not one of my favorite colors. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll hear someone say ask if you are going to spray paint that awful brass. Aren't you glad the PO didn't? ;-)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

VERY cool! I just saw some for the first time on Craigslist a few weeks ago, but they were just the gold painted wooden ones.

You've probably seen this blog, where she bought one like yours from CL and re-covered the seat. It looks great with her desk.

Here is a link that might be useful: Matters of Style blog

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would have walked right by if it had been painted, but it probably would have sold to someone really quickly. Amazing what damage a can of Rustoleum can do in the wrong hands! The store did polish the brass. I am hoping it will age a bit. I think I will leave the original fabric until I find something amazing.
    I saw that blog with "my" chair. That *was* pretty cool. A little validation of my good taste (smile).

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

That chair is just darling!!!

• arlosmom
    10 years ago

Great chair! I've never seen or heard of a brass chair before. I love it.

I can give you a little tip about the brass since you mention that you're looking for it to age or "patina" a little -- Palmolive dishwashing liquid. I recently had some unlaquered brass hinges installed and they were way too shiny for me. I googled solutions and came across the Palmolive. Just wiped a little on with a damp sponge, and within a couple of days they lost their bright shiny look. If you try it and don't like the results, you can always polish it again.

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tip about Palmolive. I keep walking into the room to stare at my chair and smile. I don't really have the right spot for it, but me teen daughters have their eyes on it!

• arlosmom
    10 years ago

Hey, look what is on One King's Lane!

Here is a link that might be useful: One King's Lane chair

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I like mine better than the OKL version! I found some on 1stdibs that were $800-$2000 each. Talk about desinger markup. Funny the listing mentioned faux leather. I just covered the seat today with a pretty olive green real leather. Just a quick job which needs to be redone with cording. Now the chair fits right in our MBR. I will keep it on my side of the bed piled high with books. Here it is cleared off.

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

I love I!! Great find.

Beth p

• arlosmom
    10 years ago

I like yours better too.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Score!!!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Sweet!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Wow! It is beautiful. I love brass so I would have snapped it up!