Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_ryan4352043

table for casual dining space - size? style?

Kitchen_ Reno
9 years ago

we just finished a kitchen/dining area renovation. the dining area is about 10 x 11 (so TINY!). We are looking to buy a new table and chairs for this area. Most times it's just our family of 4 eating, but we occasionally have guests. It's usually just casual get togethers with other families with kids, so pulling up extra chairs and squeezing in is totally fine. We can also use the peninsula seating right next to the table.

So, couple questions, do you think a round table works best in a space like this? I'm not a big fan of square although my room is almost a square itself.

would you do 48 inch or 54 inch? Can I fit 54 inches? Our current table is 60 inches (rectangle) and feels tight when putting a chair on the ends, but I think it would be less so with a round table b/c I can angle the chairs. No other furniture needs to fit in the room. This is our only dining space in the house so I'd like to get as big a table as I can without being completely impractical.

where to shop?

Comments (10)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I have a 54" round table in a 9' x 10' area and have the four chairs angled to the corners. It's okay for sitting, but you can't walk around the table when the chairs are pulled out so only one person that is on the open side of the room can get out without everyone else getting up. I would suggest using painter's tape or paper templates and laying them out in your area to see how the various sizes would work with the chairs pulled out.

• pps7
    9 years ago

How about a 48" with a leaf? That way you won't be cramped everyday but can seat a few extra when needed.

Or what about a banquet? Some type of built in seating will save floor space.

• CherrieHub
    9 years ago

Yes, I agree, any drop leaf table will work fantastic for you, you can always fold one leaf when there's less diners and open both leafs when you're having more guests. Try also square drop leaf tables as when folded they will work as banquet tables, being even more economical with the space.

Here is a link that might be useful: Victorian Oak Drop Leaf Table

• stevejones99
    9 years ago

You can try 48" table. if you can use it, your problem will be solved

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

How do you sit at a drop leaf table on the long side when the leaves are dropped?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

nosoccermom, you lift the leaf, or if you need both, pull the table away from the wall.

• pps7
    9 years ago

I meant a 48" round table with a leaf extension that turns it into an oval table.

• Kitchen_ Reno
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm definitely interested in having a leaf - but can I do 54" with a leaf, maximizing my space on a daily basis? Putting the leaf in seems like a pain to me so I can see us being reluctant to do it often, but maybe I just need to get over that.

I don't think a rectangular table is our best option. We have that now and chairs on the ends of the 10' width of the room are tight (using our current 60" table) We can just fit 2 seats on that 60" length so I don't see going any smaller for a rectangle.

I'm not opposed to built in seating in general, but I don't think it works well for our space. I feel like the room would look very off-balance in the one corner we could do this.

it's frustrating to go through a big renovation and still have a small room! but expaning the footprint of the house was not an option at this time

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I think a 48" with a leaf might work. You could get a 48" round outdoor Lifetime table to try the size out for awhile and see if it feels too crowded, just right, or if you could go a bit bigger.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

When shopping pay attention to the size of the seats on the chairs. New seats are wide and often are what limit the seating at the table.

Our breakfast room table (vintage) is 45" round. We can comfortably seat 5 and often seat 6. Because the vintage chairs are smaller then today's new ones.

ML