Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

Size of art? Opinions please.

kellienoelle
9 years ago

I am looking at artwork for my family room, a never ending decorating endeavor. I have tentatively selected the art but am now deciding on size. The room is smallish, the art will be placed over a loveseat with a sofa table with two lamps behind it. The lamps will eventually be replaced so if you have a recommendation, try not to factor in lamp height. The loveseat and table are 48" long. One option is 36" long by 30" high. Husband doesn't think it will be big enough (we do like statement art), other option is 48" x 36". Here is a pic of the wall. Any thoughts? If there are the risks of going too bold vs not bold enough, I would like to err on the too bold size.

This post was edited by kellienoelle on Fri, May 30, 14 at 20:02

Comments (27)

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I would do the larger one. A taller rather than wider piece would look great too. You could definitely go taller than 36. Pretty room!

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My concern with the larger is that it will look too exact with it being the same size as the loveseat so fear it will overpower it. If I do the smaller, I can always frame the canvas (it's on stretched canvas) to better fill the space. The art I am looking at are paintings of a single flower on a black background so a simple but bold image that I find quite beautiful. I've been doing a bit of mock-upping and the black is throwing me off a bit in the mock ups so perhaps the smaller will be less imposing? Although I know that it will look better in real life when you see it in context of the overall room with the black fireplace, other black frames,etc.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

2/3 to 3/4 the width of the sofa and cover that amount of height that remains. That is not a strict rule, but just one that is easy to follow without overwhelming or underwhelming your space.

Do you think that perhaps your love seat is more than 48 inches? I believe love seats are more like 60 inches which would change the size of art work you could use, if you wish.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Fri, May 30, 14 at 23:41

• colleenoz
    9 years ago

IMO one art work in the middle of that wall, unless it was nearly the whole length of the wall, would look, for want of a better word, lonely. I'd suggest two or three works spread out to make more of a statement and look more planned.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I think the wall can handle the 48 inches as long as it's not wider than the couch which would dwarf the couch.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I know you've made some tweaks to this room already and I think the art will really amp it up, but I have to say that I think two lamps on that table is one too many. Is there any way you'd consider one on the sofa table and a taller/different one on the end table? I think I'd even put a floor lamp to the left of the loveseat, between it and and behind the drum table and a table lamp on the square end table, leaving only some wonderful accessories on the sofa table. That would make a difference to me in the size and placement of art that will work. Whatever you decide about lamps, I'd do a mock up with some large paper and find a shape and size that pleases you so it can direct your search.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

I'd lose the table lamps and replace them with small, freestanding floor lamps at the far sides. Then I'd use the whole wall for a huge painting. You've got a great space there and you're not thinking boldly enough. Whatever the width of the loveseat is, I'd make the art wider.

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Sat, May 31, 14 at 10:57

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Since the wall is fairly large, I would consider a larger framed art piece or a pair of framed pieces and move the lamp to the end table. I'd add some color to the windows too.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, the lamps are completely out of the picture. I know I am replacing them, but I just haven't yet shopped for replacements. So let's just act like they aren't even there.Floor lamps, table lamps on the sofa table, on the end tables, one lamp, two lamps, etc. Whatever you would like it to be just so long as it doesn't affect your opinions on appropriate art!

In addition, the picture is very dark so I'll try to take a better one in the sunshine today. Let me just share some of the mockups but keep in mind I am certainly no paint guru! My husband is of the bigger is better mind, I had considered doing two side by side (although that will price me out of this particular artist unless I did prints instead of originals). Also the artist said that he could paint one in any size and I could select from his portfolio so the images that I am selecting are moreso for the shape so please try not to focus only on the images and if you don't like it. In person the paintings are gorgeous and bold and I love them.

Option 1 in about 36" square.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artwork Link

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a larger piece. I am of course guesstimating sizes but probably about 60". To me looks too large and overpowering. Again perhaps because it doesn't show the entire room in context.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And a vertical one, this would be about 36x48

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

About 36 inches long placed horizontally

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I really like Beverly's mock-up for size - I think that the flower makes scale a bit hard to determine (even tho I know it's just a placeholder for size), but the one she used is very large and it really looks great in the space. I like the large rectangle better than square there.

• theclose
    9 years ago

+1 to everything oly said. Then your art will really make a statement.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and with 2 pieces

• theclose
    9 years ago

I like the large 60" rectangle. Beverly's pic and your second pic look great.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It doesn't feel like the right wall for such a piece. When you look at the artist's website, usually it doesn't share a wall with furniture. When it does, the furniture is a statement piece too.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I agree with may flowers. This art you like is really a statement piece and is maybe more appropriate by itself. It seems too monumental for this type of room.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well shoot, I don't have a grand house so can't really find another place for it. I was a bit worried about that to be honest. But I really like these particular paintings, and art is in the eye of the beholder after all. Fact is, what probably "looks best" on that wall isn't going to be what catches my eye. Guess I could save my money, pick up a tasteful print to fill the space and buy a smaller version to place in an area where it won't be making such a statement. The larger pieces are probably best in a loft style or contemporary setting with soaring ceilings.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

kellienoelle-
    After looking at your mockups, I stand by my assertion to go big. I really liked the largest, rectangular flower piece, the one you thought was too big. It really seems to open up the room. The pair of pictures looks good, too.

The other, smaller ones look dwarfed by the love seat and allow other furnishings in the room to compete. The square one didn't work for me at all.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Hmmmmm--to me, you have two choices:
    1. move the loveseat and make the wall the statement.
    2. do a vertical space with 4 pictures in it--and four different pictures, not a group that will look like one big one. In other words, lighten up the visual weight of a 36 x 48 inch space. I'd probably opt just for a small pair of pictures behind such a small piece of furniture.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

What about over the fire place to cover that problem niche?

• chispa
    9 years ago

kellie, if you love the paintings then get one. Only those that live in minimalistic NYC lofts can get "statement" art, really? There would be even more starving artists if that was the case!

I follow my own rules for art size and placement in my own house. Had a friend that was involved in art and had a huge collection. Every wall in her house was covered floor to ceiling in art. I couldn't live with that much "clutter" on my walls, but it worked for her and made her happy.

If a large painting by that artist makes you happy then you should get one.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

No one suggested you to not use the painting in this room. The art just needs the right location to make the proper statement, and over to the side of the room is not quite right.

Found one of your old photos on another post and superimposed the art over your fireplace. It works perfectly with the black stone around the opening and makes the statement we've referenced. But again, the niche either needs to be bigger or gone. Additionally, you have lighting above that will show off the painting properly.

Maybe the painting is large enough to simply be hung over the opening so you don't even see it.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry - I asked for advice then went MIA. I blame work!

I actually really really like that print over the fireplace, it is striking in a way that I was hoping it would be but doesn't look at odds with everything else in the room in the way I was finding over the sofa. Next step....talking to the husband since he uses that niche to store away stuff (like the router) since it is wired through there. I suppose we could just hang the print over without filling in the niche if that would look ok. It would have to be a large piece of art though.

Now for the loveseat, maybe a metal object like a starburst mirror over there? To fill the wall but be less obtrusive?

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Unless you really want something on that wall, I would leave it as it is. You have the lamps and I think it looks lovely and just speaks for itself on its own. If you want a starburst, don't get one that takes away from the composition you have already created. You have the peaks and valleys that are necessary for a well-decorated room.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I'm so glad you like what Beverly did with the art on the fireplace. I LOVE it there! I think you can have more art behind the loveseat, just not quite as large. I'd still use just one lamp and a piece of art on the wall. I don't think it's the right place for a mirror.