Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

May I see your decorated kitchen corner? Picture

Oakley
14 years ago

The granite was laid today and I had NO idea how massive the space is in the corner of the kitchen between the stove and sink! I measured it and it's 46" deep! I'm 5'5" and even on my tippy toes I can't reach to the far back of the corner. lol.

So..I need ideas on what to put there for a decorative touch. No canisters, it needs to be something specifically for a corner. No apothacary jars or mixers either, I'll put those elsewhere.

Surely someone out there has a deep corner space like I do and can offer suggestions on what to put there simply for a semi-large decorative touch?

The picture is mis-leading, it's much larger than it appears.

Comments (64)

• buddyrose
    14 years ago

I had a small, black iron wine rack from Home Goods B4 I renovated.

But now I have a wine rack built into my lower cabinets. So I did put a cookie/candy jar and sugar canister and a vase. And most of the time the toaster is where the wine is. It just depends on the time of day! ;-)

• parma42
    14 years ago

Like Igloo, I have a large ceramic bowl that we keep our fruit. Then, I have some framed pictures propped to either side.

The other corner has a variety of Italian bottles, oils, balsamics, etc. and a secondary utensil holder.

• goldengirl327
    14 years ago

I second the vote for a large decorative platter on a grand scale iron plate holder. It might be nice to add a potted ivy and small creamer or pitcher to set a little vignette. Good luck!
    BTW, I'm sure that you have posted it elsewhere, but what is the name of your granite? After much pondering, I think I'm leaning toward granite over quartz and am searching for a granite like yours. Nice work!

• bonniee818
    14 years ago

Mine isn't that deep I don't think. I have canisters there but nothing is in them. All my flour, sugar, tea stuff are in those snap down, lock down, things in the pantry. Mine are just out there for looks. Love seeing everyone's ideas! Great pics everyone. Bonnie

• teacats
    14 years ago

We do have the under-cabinet hockey-puck-style lighting too (put in by my DH -- not fancy at all!) -- but I just wanted the option (and I do LOVE lighting options LOL!) of turning on a warmer small lamplight .....

Jan (who is completely and pea-green ENVIOUS of all of the gorgeous kitchens here at GW -- WOW!)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Goldengirl, I think the granite is "New Venetian Gold." It's pretty popular now because it goes with either dark wood or white. My cabs will be white.

Nicole, I love your appliance garages! Before the remodel, my storage was very limited, but now I have a very big utility room and lots of storage in the kitchen too, so all appliances except the coffee pot will be stored under a counter somewhere. The builder even put the hot water heater in the UR a couple of feet off the floor so I could use the space below for my big roaster. It's enclosed so it won't be an eyesore.

Teacats, that's why I think I'll put a lamp somewhere in the kitchen. I'd rather leave it on in the evening instead of leaving one of the fixtures on. Our kitchen is WAY far from the lving room now, so it will be dark in there at night.

• User
    14 years ago

My corner is 44 inches, I'm not quite 5-1 so that is really a wasted space for me. I have a very large bowel on a stand in my corner.

• wodka
    14 years ago

chloe, just teasing you, but check your spelling for "bowl," otherwise you have a very serious medical condition - ha.

• parma42
    14 years ago

lololol!

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

I have a very deep one one behind my corner sink.
    {{!gwi}}
    This is the only close-up I have of it, taken when the lilacs were blooming.
    {{!gwi}}

• goldengirl327
    14 years ago

Oakleyok -- Thanks for the granite name. I'll go look that up now.

• User
    14 years ago

Wodka,

LOL
    I used to work in the medical field, can you tell!

• parma42
    14 years ago

OMG Lynn! I could seriously see myself enjoying doing dishes with that view.

DH and I can't come to an agreement on where to retire. SE is too hot and humid for me and he doesn't like the PNW. What's the climate there and is there much in the way of the arts?

Oakleyok, very sorry for the hijack!

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

These are old photos, I do have real windows and pulls now!Ignore the stuff on the window sills and that nasty old dog bone on the floor!
    I have my kitchen aid mixer in one corner- that is the baking zone. And I have a big ol' honkin' rooster in the other corner- that is the rooster zone.

• upa_lazy_river
    14 years ago

My deep corner is one of the first things you see when you enter the kitchen and I use it for decorative items only. I change them out quite frequently. Currently I have a nice lamp there that casts a warm glow on the granite. I also use a beautiful large tin as a planter at times, I have a variety of plates/platters on a stand (I find most from Home Goods), during the fall I have a large harvest plate, Christmas I have a large santa, and roosters. Fun place to decorate.

• User
    14 years ago

Here's mine.
    {{!gwi}}

• justretired
    14 years ago

I have a lamp. To the left of the lamp, a framed rhubarb cake recipe written in my grandmother's hand. To the right, hanging on the wall, a ceramic impression of my son's handprint-made in first grade, given as a Mother's Day gift.

Pretty "corners" everyone!

JR

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

Parma, I don't want to hijack Oakleyok's thread, so I'll answer your questions about New Mexico over in Conversations.
    Lynn

• dixiedo
    14 years ago

"That" corner is my coffee making station... coffee maker, round tray from Southern Living at home with our sugar/creamer and small plant.

Definitely not decorative, but very much functional.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, you all can talk about NM here, I'm curious too!

My problem may have been solved by the mail today! I ordered some spackled graniteware for my utility room for houseplants. Two of them are buckets, one large, the other medium, in yellow and white. The walls are going to be light yellow (but there isn't much wall in the kitchen to paint) and it will flow to the utility room.

I'll take a picture of the bucket later, builder is here and under my sink. lol. I think putting pretty flowers in there would be cute, along with a pretty placemat. I love to use placemats for decorating.

Chloe, no space in the kitchen is wasted to me. Especially at holiday time when I have a lot of baked goods. Finally I have a place to set several things to cool while I'm baking!

Cooper, our kitchens are very similar! I have beadboard in there but only at the edges of the cabinets. And I also have the shelves you have at the window, plus the paint will be white. Before we designed the kitchen, the very first thing I said was, "I want shelves on both sides of the kitchen window!". We also put in curved shelves at the end of the cabs which faces the dining room.

Having all this space is amazing!

Shee, I love your corner! And Lynn, I drool over your corner sink!

• brutuses
    14 years ago

oak, I suffer the same plight because I am also short. I have to throw myself to the corner to reach it for cleaning. I just put my Pillsbury Dough Boy cookie jar in that corner. I don't have one of these corners in the new house and I'm so glad!! However, I do have an L shaped island corner that's so deep I'll have to walk around to the other side to clean it. LOL At least I'll be able to clean it without dislocating something!!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Bru, I just checked and my island corner is just as big as the other corner, and now I'll have to walk around to clean it! lol. At least there's enough space to put pretty things on. :)

• nhb22
    14 years ago

Previous house had a wine rack and extra bottles in the corner.
    {{!gwi}}

If you look real hard, through the looking glass...you will see my stoneware platter in the opposite corner. it sits on an iron stand, . It actually hides my large mixer.

Of course, my favorite is a corner lamp

• brutuses
    14 years ago

cooper, love your kitchen. Tell me what material is your backsplash behind your stove? Is that metal? Give me the details, please. Is it expensive? I'm asking as consideration for this house when we remodel for selling.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

I also have my (rarely used) kitchenaid mixer in the corner; I love to look at it and people might think I bake a lot.

For practicality, if a person wanted to use the corner better, you could put things on a gorgeous deep tray, which would be easier to pull forward, even for short people.

• jaybird
    14 years ago

I have a lamp in mine...similar to TeaCats. The lamp is made from a canning jar which is full of antique cookie cutters!

• Bunny
    14 years ago

Beautiful kitchens and corner solutions!

But I have a question...Why now the large corner space? I assume many of you had kitchen renovations where you were basically working with the same floor plan and cabinet footprint. What caused your corner to grow in size?

• katiee511
    14 years ago

For me, my corner "grew" after we had our granite installed. We have the same exact cabinets, painted, and they didn't move location at all. I didn't realise how much deeper they would be than the laminate it replaced. I was shocked when I could barely reach the corner to clean. Who knew?? LOL. Funny, I just put a stone shallow bowl on a plate stand a few hours ago to see how it would look there. I am always scoping out small decorative lamps now when I shop after seeing so many great ones here. Fun, fun topic and I LOVE all the pictures!!

• Bunny
    14 years ago

LOL at Katie. Same cabinets in the same space, but it got deeper? I'm mystified. Is it an optical illusion? If I installed granite throughout my house, would my house get physically bigger? :D Grow a second story? Yes, I'm being silly, but what is this granite counter growth hormone?

• babs711
    14 years ago

Mine isn't angled like yours but has a 90-degree corner like cooperbailey and the others. I also have my (red) kitchenaid mixer right in the corner. That's my baking corner.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Our's grew in size because the corner cabinet is now angled instead of the L shaped counter/cabs. Also, the granite has a 4" edge to it which gives more counterspace. I really like it especially when baking season comes.

Mitch, I like the idea of a tray. Right now I'm leaning towards a basin and pitcher if I can find the right one.

• haley_comet
    14 years ago

Here is mine.

• katiee511
    14 years ago

haha linelle.... maybe I need a growth hormone. I am pretty short at 5' and my old laminate countertops would barely overhang the cabinet edge. My granite has a 2" overhang and an ogee edge so I can't get as close up to the cabinets like before. Therefore, my corner is farther away and I stand on my tiptoes to clean it now. Does that make it clear as mud? LOL..... I don't know how else to explain it *sigh*

• happyintexas
    14 years ago

What a timely thread for me! I'm deep cleaning my kitchen today in preparation for a family event here on Saturday...and I'm very unenthused. What I've realized is that I'm a bit bored with my kitchen counter decor. Time to freshen...and what great ideas you've given me.

I'll have to post photos later...but for now...thanks!

• paint_chips
    14 years ago

Newhomebuilder- I love your people looking over your stove. Very cool.

• 3bebe
    14 years ago

bonniee,

Where did you purchase your green kitchen canisters? I have been looking for something similar. If anyone has seen these, please let me know. I am considering starting a thread about green kitchen accessories, but am sort of scared to start a thread. Am looking for accessories similar to bonniee and persnicketydesign.

Thanks,
    Emily

• nhb22
    14 years ago

Thank you, paint -chips! Got those at Pottery Barn many years ago.

• 3bebe
    14 years ago

Thank you mmoodyrn! I had googled green canisters and looked through many pages and images and never found them.
    Thanks again,
    Emily

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Brutuses-the panel behind my stove is a piece of tin ceiling tile cut to fit and painted with latex paint to match the beadboard.

• bonniee818
    14 years ago

Hi Emily........I am just seeing this. Long day with DD at college. My canisters came from Stein Mart. Glad you like them. The price of the canisters was much better there than at Gracious Goods. Hope this helps you! My rooster came from Kirkland's years ago.
    Bonnie

• 3bebe
    14 years ago

Thanks bonniee! I knew I was taking a chance on you seeing this question when I posted in this thread, but I'm glad you checked back! I've been looking for green accessories for a while now. I'll try looking at my Stein Mart, I would love a better price!

Emily

• bonniee818
    14 years ago

You are very welcome, Emily! Hope you find some....Bonnie

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

such great ideas! i'm short also - 5'. was thinking of doing the angle in the corner but figured out it would make the corner even deeper for me!

I was thinking of getting one of those frames that can do a slide show of your photos and put in that corner. that way my kids and gkids etc can be continually changing around me while i'm in the kitchen! unless that's where i end up putting my micro on an under cab shelf.

haley comet - what is your counter top??? is it 'honed' granite? doesn't have the shine i usually see on granite!

lynn - love, love your view. NM - no wonder!

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

lynn - where are you in NM that you can grow lilacs??

I want lilacs! I'm in Phx AZ area. was told they wouldn't grow here...

• haley_comet
    14 years ago

Hi DesertSteph,

Nope I sure wish my counters were granite but it simply a really nice laminate. We said we would get the granite 'next time' we need them replaced. It is called ButterRum.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

no way! butterum!!!! that's what i've picked out for my new counter top! and i've been wanting to see it in a big piece of counter top! yeah! you know when i looked at it i thought 'I wonder if that's how my butterum will look?'... then i thought no, that's probably just honed granite...

do you have any more pics of it - like w/o the yellow glow of the lamp that i could see?

is that just the straight edge on it?

i've been so worried that it'd look horrible in a BIG piece.

did you get the matt or the other type i can't remember what they call it... a bit shinier?

did they do a corner (or anywhere) seam? if so, how'd that turn out? who put it in? HD? i'm rather afraid to have them do it...

thx!

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

bump

• eldemila
    14 years ago

If natesgramma sees this, can you post more pics of your kitchen, the layout of the pic is similar to what I may be looking to do in a kitchen in a house we're hoping to buy.

Nice kitchens - love seeing any and all ideas!

• haley_comet
    14 years ago

Hey Steph,
    Ya as far as laminates go I think it is pretty nice - I have actually seen them use it on Design Inc.
    Here are more pics but it doesn't show the counters too well and it looks extra shiney from the window but it is actually more on the matte side. It is not a straight edge and the seaming looks great. I actually bought it and had it installed by my brother in law's kitchen design company.
    I have heard mixed reviews on HD installers but that would be different in each area.

Personally I change things up all the time and buying laminate gave me the option on new counters on a more regular basis and with 4 young kids we don't worry about them too much. Granite for me at this point was a big financial committment and also a design committment I was not ready to make just yet.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm