Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onelady1dog2girls

Mirror in front of window or to side? Duplicate bathroom forum

onelady1dog2girls
11 years ago

Hello, everyone. We have a new picture window that is in front of our vanity in our remodeled master bathroom. I love it, as it creates an outdoor sanctuary for my husband and I to enjoy as we enter the bathroom. I originally planned on a contemporary 16 x 36' mirror hung by a bar into the ceiling joists with pendants flanking the left and right...loosely (very loosely please excuse the angled mock up, it was just to give you an idea) seen here:

However, I didn't anticipate loving the window as much as I do. So, I investigated a second option involving the pendants only flanking the outside of the window. The mirrors would by 15 x 23 and swing out from the walls...again loosely depicted here:

I could really argue both ways. The first is somewhat more conventional, but obviously is obstructing the view somewhat. The other does not obstruct the view, but you have a bit more 'fussiness' in swiveling the mirror out of the wall to you.

What do you think?? I'll put a link to the mirrors below. Any thoughts appreciated.....

Here is a link that might be useful: swivel mirror

Comments (16)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I might compromise and put one in the middle between the sinks (and maybe a very small swivel mirror on the wall next to each sink).

• hou5egeek
    11 years ago

I agree with fori, swivel! Blocking that view would be a sin :)

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I love the swivel mirror idea.

• cal_dreamer
    11 years ago

Love the swivel mirror idea, would not do any pendants at all - or if you do, maybe ones above the height of the window?

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Wow, I have never seen anyone put a window in behind a vanity and that is absolutely gorgeous. Swivel mirrors for sure. They are a brilliant idea.

I wouldn't think pendants would give you the kind of lighting people usually want over their vanity.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Such a lovely view!

I'm concerned with how the swivel would work...If it lays flat against the wall until you use it, the way it would swing may be out to far to be both near the sink and at a comfortable viewing distance from the mirror.

I wonder if there isn't a way to mount a mirror at the bottom of the sill so when you stand at the sink and look down, you see your full face, but when you look up, it's low enough to enjoy the view. It would have to be on a tilt.

I think I would then mount sconces to the side walls and use a single pendant in the middle...something made out of glass or crystal as to not interfere with the view....unless there was also a cool way to mount a light or a lamp to the middle of the sill or the backsplash.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Check out the link below of bathrooms where this has been done.

If you decided to go with swing-out mirrors on the side walls, look for a mirror that allows you to move it in different directions. For ex: http://www.amazon.com/CRL-Brushed-Nickel-Pivot-N-View-Mirror/dp/B001TALUS6

Here is a link that might be useful: [mirror in front[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/mirror-in-front-of-window-phbr0lbl-bl~l_51234)

• hlove
    11 years ago

Definitely swivel. In our bathroom, I almost exclusively use the mirror on the inside of my med cabinet door, which would seem awkward , but it works great for seeing up close. Definitely worth it for the view!

• sweeby
    11 years ago

I like the idea of wall sconces and a center crystal pendant -- But whatever you do with the lighting, would swivel mirrors interfere with it?

While a small mirror would certainly work for tooth-brushing, shaving and face-washing, you do need a larger mirror nearby that's large enough to check out your whole head... Is there another spot nearby?

Fabulous window! And I can't wait to see what you decide --

• lolauren
    11 years ago

I would put nothing in front of that window. That view is gorgeous!

I agree to not do the pendants (a single pendant will give you uneven lighting, two pendants won't give the right kind of lighting...)..... and do the swivel mirrors.

• anrol
    11 years ago

I love the idea to have the swivel mirrors. Maybe you could put a sconce on each of the side walls (depending upon where the mirrors would sit when they are against the wall Hard to tell if they would be too high above the mirrors there) and couple of recessed lights above the center on the ceiling (where the electrical is now) Just a thought.

• Lyban zone 4
    11 years ago

I think I wouLd go with this type on each side wall, linked below and then if I had the room have a full length mirror in another area of bathroom or the master bedroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Look here

• onelady1dog2girls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just want to thank all of you for your insights and suggestions. It looks like hands down we will be using the swivel mirror set up. I can't wait until this purgatory known as remodeling is over soon!!

• PRO
    Home Hub Middle East
    4 years ago

Hanging a decorative mirror from the ceiling sounds like cool. Never heard of this idea before. Please post a pic after once you have done the bath room.

• Pax Szymacha
    2 years ago

I envy you the view outside the window and very much! Such a bathroom is a dream come true *. * Regarding your question, I would choose photo no. 2. The bathroom seems clearer and more pleasing to the eye. Mirrors will not obstruct this beautiful view either ^^
    The idea for photo 1 is also cool, I haven't seen any hanging mirrors yet. The idea is very modern and will surely delight many of your guests.