Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sixkeys

What finish for hardware and faucet? (x-post)

sixkeys
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've also posted this in Kitchens - hope it is ok to post here too.

I am in a real dilemma about picking the finish on my cabinet hardware and faucets for my new kitchen. It will be white shaker cabinets with these other elements:

Island countertop: Marble-like quartz
Perimeter countertop: Medium grey quartz
Sinks: Silgranit in Anthracite
Floors: Medium brown oak

Here is a rough version of the cabinets:

Here are my pendant lights:

Here is the light over my prep sink:

Here are the pulls:

My color choices are: Polished Nickel (warm tone), Chrome (cool tone), Satin Nickel (warm tone).

Here is the light next to those choices:

I think most people would pick the satin nickel, but I was thinking that some contrast would be nice since all of the other metals in that room will be matte. But, I don't want it to look out of place. Then I also need to pick the metal for my faucets - I was thinking of matching to the cabinet hardware so there aren't too many metals. Or, I've seen people do satin finish for the cabinet hardware and shiny just for the faucets. You see why I need help, the combos are endless!

I would appreciate any input! Thank you! :)

Comments (18)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

This isn't really answering your question, but I think all your potential choices look fine. Not one do I think looks bad with your light (which is awesome, BTW).

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I agree with Linelle, they all look great with your pendant. Since they all work pick the one that sings to you.

I personally like to see a mixture. I used Michelangelo Bronze cabinet hardware and my faucet is American Bronze. They don't match but they complement each other. IMO it is fine to mix a polished faucet with satin hardware or vise versa.

It's amazing how we bog ourselves down with the minutia but I think we have all been there done that. I personally spent six weeks looking for my cabinet hardware.

Good luck and have fun!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I don't think they have to match and all of your choices look wonderful. Not to make you crazy, but you could also choose the new antique brass finish which could warm up your grey and white scheme and coordinate with the fittings on your lights.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

And this is coming from someone who could not stop herself from getting *most* finishes in chrome for a small bathroom. I got a painted silver mirror and went off the metal path and got glass knobs.

See, I can dish out the advice, but it's hard for me to do it myself.

• louislinus
    9 years ago

I know you didn't list them as a choice but I love the black ones.

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much! I guess that is why I am having a tough time deciding. They all look pretty good. I am thinking of grabbing my door sample and countertop samples and go back to the store. Since the hardware will be against the cabinetry and closer to the countertops, it makes more sense to compare those.

....or just provide for more confusion. :)

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I'm voting for the polished nickel but I think all 3 choices work. The satin nickel is more yellow, which works well with the brass in your light fixtures (love those!), but I like the way the shine of the polished nickel looks against the more matte finishes on the lights. Glams them up just enough! I think the polished nickel might work better with your counters too.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

No chrome..................it will stick out when compared to the other finishes. Use the nickel. I would use the satin, not wanting to deal with the smudges and finger prints on the polished.

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am definitely leaning towards nickel, although someone in the Kitchen forum warned that sometimes the finish on nickel is not as durable. So, I need to research that a bit.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I have polished nickel faucets in my baths. The finish seems to have oxidized a bit. I haven't researched methods to bring it back to a like-new condition, so I don't know if the condition is reversible. The brand is Perrin & Rowe, just for your information.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I would consider your cabinet finish and countertop choice in making the decision. I did one chrome faucet against my honed white counter, white cabinets and glossy tile backsplash -- also in front of my window -- where I wanted it to sparkle and say clean and shiny. I did brushed nickel against my brushed black counter on the island where there was no splash and it would stand in front of my blue cabinets and stainless fridge -- the shiny surface would have stood out too much and looked too new and polished against the knotty cherry cabinets.

I think all those finishes go well with your lighting choices. What are your cabinets? Curious why you went rustic on lighting and so clean and polished on the pulls. Cabinet finish or some other reason?

• busybee3
    9 years ago

i also would go with any of the finishes other than chrome- if you want shiny, go with the polished nickel!

i have had polished nickel in our bathroom for 3 yrs... the faucets, hinges, etc and the cabinet pulls all look great--- the only finish i am having trouble with are the PN makeup mirror and the PN light switch covers that i got from RH--- for whatever reason, the RH polished nickel doesn't seem nearly as durable as the other brands' PN finishes that i have- (cifial, kohler, and alno). i personally would not buy RH polished nickel again.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Busybee3, thank you for posting your experience with RH polished nickel because I've been thinking about buying one of their floor towel stands in that finish. May I ask what kind of deterioration you are seeing?

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

busybee3 - thank you so much, the pulls I want are from RH so this is extremely valuable information. I am a little confused though, maybe there is a mis-type. At first you said go with nickel, but then it says you wouldn't do nickel. Is it the RH nickel, or nickel in general?

lascatx - I am going white shaker on the cabinets. I feel like these pulls are very simple - they remind me of the older window sash pulls. I feel like that flows well with the lighting choices. If I go satin finished, maybe it would blend better. I was hoping for some contrast with polished, but maybe it is too much contrast.

• User
    9 years ago

I'm the outlier here - I would keep the finishes consistent, or I would go with something that contrasts explicitly like black or ORB. I love the polished nickel, but it seems like a very different vibe than the more industrial/rustic pewter tones. But that may just be my unique preference because I have a small kitchen (I'm doing pewter fixtures and stainless hardware).

You have a nice sized kitchen and the only rule that I could find in pouring over threads on the kitchens forum with respect to hardware was 'do what makes you happy' - so if polished makes you happy, go for it! I'm pretty sure that other GW users have those RH pulls; maybe Breezygirl's kitchen?

• busybee3
    9 years ago

sorry, i meant i love polish nickel and would and actually have used it again in another bathroom!!
    but, i don't think i would buy RH polished nickel again-- the only items i have bought that were RH polished nickel were 4 light switch plates and a counter standing makeup mirror- bought at the same time ~ 3 yrs ago.... and 2 of the plates and the makeup mirror have 'spots' on them. the makeup mirror has a couple of small spots that almost look as if the finish has rusted alittle or something and 2 of the switch plates have large areas of almost rainbowish/tarnish-like areas on them which i haven't been able to remove. i would have tried to return/exchange the mirror except the most convenient RH store closed almost 2 yrs ago... there is one an hour+ away but i have never bothered to take it there. i don't know if this is a problem with all of their polished nickel or not, but since it has happened to 2 different items of theirs that i have, i would be hesitant to buy their polished nickel again... i would get a different brand.
    *i have not had that same problem with the couple of chrome RH bathroom items i have had for a much longer period of time!*

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Have you decided on your counter material? Think about how your faucet will look against it. I don't generally like dark finish faucets (exceptions to everything, but generally), so my tendency would be towards any silver tone for the faucet. Nickel would be warmer and more consistent with your light fixtures, and that would probably be the way most folks would go. If you like chrome or have a reason to feel it is better with your counter and splash it will be right next to, or even if you don't see enough difference to pay extra for (sometimes a little, sometimes a lot), you don't have to use nickel. Most people would, but like I said -- I wanted chrome against my marble and white tile. Chrome was better than the warmer nickel for me.

I like the style of the pulls and think you did a good job on that. I honestly don't know what finish I would pick. My first thought would be a silver tone and probably a brushed finish, but I might develop an itch if I felt things were getting too matchy. But I worry about getting the dalmatian look if I go to dark against white cabinets. So I might do the polished. Or look into the idea of an aged brass or warmer tone (mentioned above and a finish family that is coming back) and tie in with the contrasting details on your fixtures. Or play with the idea of using brass screws on the pulls -- might not get too spotty if you have knobs above on everything at eye level.

You'll figure it out.

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am doing Caesarstone in Raven on the perimeter, and London Grey on the island. Both faucets will be on the perimeter.

My next step is to get samples of my counters, bring my sample door from my cabinets, and go back to the store to see them all together. I think these finishes might have a cooler undertone, but we will see!