Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colorfast

Espresso Colored Paint? Help!

colorfast
10 years ago

Hi, I am trying to find a great "espresso" brown-black hue for my bathroom cabinet. What do people recommend?

Existing colors:

Paint Chips seen above: Upper Left, RL Cargo Brown; Behr Dark Truffle; Behr Espresso Beans, MStewart Burl. Lower left, Behr Iced Espresso and RL Galvanized.

Note that is the same countertop in photos 2 and 3, just different lighting. Also the wall is the same color in 1 and 3 (disregard the nasty bright yellow glue in photo 3, to be replaced with a tile backsplash).

Below in photo 4 is my mistake, trying out a friend's custom color (which looked darker and less milk chocolate in her low-light bathroom):

thanks so much for any advice!

colorfast

Comments (10)

• chucksmom
    10 years ago

Just another crazy thought. I have a quart of ORB paint that I've always thought would be great on a piece of furniture. Just haven't found the right piece.

• colorfast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What color is ORB? Thanks!

• chucksmom
    10 years ago

It's the oil rubbed bronze color they use on light fixtures, lamps, faucets, etc. Used it in spray form on a lamp and loved the slightly iridescent black/brown color. I was looking for a great brown/black color for a bookcase for a friend and thought it would work, she actually went another direction so it wasn't used but I still have it in the back of my mind for an accent piece.

• theclose
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of my bedroom- BM Middlebury Brown

{{!gwi}}

And 2 pics of the color of all the doors in my house- Pratt & Lambert Obsidian
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• colorfast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, thanks guys! I love these all these ideas.

I actually have heard of Oil Rubbed Bronze but didn't know anyone sold a paint by that name too. BM? Rustoleum? I'll have a look for it.

Does Middlebury Brown sometimes read a little "purple" or is that just the photo and/or my screen settings?

I really, really like the Obsidian but admit I've never gotten P&L paints. I think I know where to get them in town. I will only need a gallon. Will check out BM and Pratt and Lambert websites for those colors and maybe a few more google images of them.

• OllieJane
    10 years ago

BM Bittersweet used to be a popular color like you are describing. Haven't searched for it yet on this site, but it should bring up some pictures.

• OllieJane
    10 years ago

In looking further, it's called BM Bittersweet Chocolate. I searched on GW and didn't find anything, which was strange because the color was so popular about 4 years ago when I was looking for that color.

I googled it, and up came a lot of images if you try that.

• colorfast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Ollie. I thought that one might look a little too chocolate...one of the first pictures I pulled up of it made me cross it off my list. Perhaps prematurely. It all seems to depend on the lighting how these dark paints look.

But given that it was 4 years ago... Am I looking for something that's on its way out?

I am not a huge trend follower but on the other hand, I don't want to intentionally date my house.

• ArlingtonVAremodel
    10 years ago

I have one living room wall painted BM Espresso Bean CSP-30. It definitely is a black-brown like you are describing.

• colorfast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I ended up selecting RL Galvanized and having it put into a Miller brand paint. (Miller is a regional brand that is good quality.)

Galvanized is more toward black but not a true black and looked good with the counter and wall.

I also liked Behr Espresso Beans, which was a bit more brown-black. Given this was a cabinet receiving regular use, I was a little concerned about the quality of the Behr paint holding up.